Re: FW: [nvda-addons] [nvda-devel] Screen Curtain add-on is officially legacy (end of life) #addonrelease

derek riemer

If you want to avoid this situation, Don't cross post.

is there a good reason to EOL it now and put it on the legacy part of the site? It won't run on 19.3 because it's not py3 compatible, and you can just make the lastTestedNVDAVersion 2019.2.1

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 12:04 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Hi,
Since not everyone here are members of NVDA add-ons list:
Tip for Reef and Mick: you can merge and split topics (let me know if you need help with this).

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:44 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] [nvda-devel] Screen Curtain add-on is officially legacy (end of life) #AddonRelease

Hi,
* Add-ons not working: these are beyond author's control - NVDA made significant changes that prevent an add-on from working, even if installed on newer NVDA releases.
* Add-on features incorporated into NVDA: features from add-ons which are now included into NVDA. If authors are not careful and if said add-ons are enabled, they may introduce conflicts or unexpected behavior.

For purposes of record keeping, both types are considered legacy. This is more so now due to vast changes introduced in NVDA 2019.3 that went beyond Python 3 transition.
In case of Screen Curtain, I did say last year that the add-on was proof of concept, and once an NVDA release with screen curtain ships, it'll be discontinued. I said it that way because Leonard was working on a pull request on screen curtain, and he gave me permission to distribute his work in the form of an add-on. Also, because it was a proof of concept add-on, it didn't appear under stable add-ons section (if it did, I would have kept it past 2019.3 release for reasons you wrote below). My legacy declaration is fulfillment of this promise, hence the announcement.
Hope this clarifies things (if it didn't, let me know so I can worry about it).