Re: [nvda-addons] [nvda-devel] Screen Curtain add-on is officially legacy (end of life) #addonrelease

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, I am remembering addons created by Mick, like Quickbooks 2014 and speechPlayerInEspeak. Also, not sure if all listed voices like Pico or Festival are compatible with NVDA 2019.-3. The two first mentioned add-ons, I think are still present in the community website, in add-ons under development. If you need help or consider we need to move them to legacy or remove completely from the website, let us know please.
Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 30 nov 2019, a las 20:04, Joseph Lee <@joslee> escribi├│:

´╗┐Hi,
Since not everyone here are members of NVDA add-ons list:
Tip for Reef and Mick: you can merge and split topics (let me know if you need help with this).

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:44 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] [nvda-devel] Screen Curtain add-on is officially legacy (end of life) #AddonRelease

Hi,
* Add-ons not working: these are beyond author's control - NVDA made significant changes that prevent an add-on from working, even if installed on newer NVDA releases.
* Add-on features incorporated into NVDA: features from add-ons which are now included into NVDA. If authors are not careful and if said add-ons are enabled, they may introduce conflicts or unexpected behavior.

For purposes of record keeping, both types are considered legacy. This is more so now due to vast changes introduced in NVDA 2019.3 that went beyond Python 3 transition.
In case of Screen Curtain, I did say last year that the add-on was proof of concept, and once an NVDA release with screen curtain ships, it'll be discontinued. I said it that way because Leonard was working on a pull request on screen curtain, and he gave me permission to distribute his work in the form of an add-on. Also, because it was a proof of concept add-on, it didn't appear under stable add-ons section (if it did, I would have kept it past 2019.3 release for reasons you wrote below). My legacy declaration is fulfillment of this promise, hence the announcement.
Hope this clarifies things (if it didn't, let me know so I can worry about it).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lukasz Golonka
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:19 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] [nvda-devel] Screen Curtain add-on is officially legacy (end of life) #AddonRelease

Hello,

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:43:46 -0800
"Joseph Lee" <@joslee> wrote:

The last version of this add-on (released today) will remain on
community add-ons website under {{"legacy" section until NVDA 2019.3 stable is released, at which point it'll be removed.

This decision makes no sense in my opinion. On the one hand we are creating section for legacy add-ons that is add-ons which are not working with the latest NVDA version, but on the other hand, if functionality of these add-ons is incorporated into the core you've decided to remove them when stable version of NVDA containing this feature comes out.
What is the difference between add-on which doesn't work with the latest version of NVDA and add-on which is incorporated into the core, but is still perfectly useful and working for those who cannot use latest version for whatever reason

--
Regards
Lukasz

Join nvda-devel@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.