Re: Refreshable Braille Display Help

Brian's Mail list account

I don't think the dectalk works in the new alpha version from what I recall, but it might be relatively simple to market so, sadly I do not have the hardware device any more so I cannot help much.

From: "derek riemer" <driemer.riemer@...>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Refreshable Braille Display Help

Sort of. There are also examples of speech synth drivers lying around.
Especially externally. Most are software, but there's a dectalk hardware
one somewhere.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:32 PM Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:

Is this the same process for a speech synthesizer? I have built one, using
commercial parts, and would like to make it work with NVDA as well.

I need to rewire it before I can test it, (things came loose while it was
on the shelf, since it was originally built as a speech device for my wife,
who has a speech defect, but it can just as easily be used as an external
synthesizer with minimal reprogramming.
On 11/25/2019 8:25 PM, derek riemer wrote:

Have you downloaded the NVDA source yet? github.com/nvaccess/nvda
In there, under source/brailleDisplayDrivers are some examples. They
inherit from the braille.BrailleDisplayDriver class. Reading the nvda
design document on the wiki we point to and the developer guide are great
first resources. I also wrote this article which might help you at some
point. (it's a little out of date now).

https://derekriemer.com/posts/2017/02/14/introduction-to-nvda-development-the-basic-objects-explained/

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 3:00 PM <just1brill@...> wrote:

We're using a Raspberry Pi, but we could configure it to use PySerial to
communicate to Windows. On the normal NVDA forum, we were suggested to make
a driver, so we've began on that. I'd appreciate any links to source codes
of drivers.

Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time! ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁
⠐⠞⠖
• Accessibility enthusiast.
• Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
• Open source enthusiast.