Re: Plugin Help please!

Julien Cochuyt

Dear Nathaniel,

Count me in as well, but on the technical side.
First step would be to create a new github repo and import in it the latest svn from sourceforge.
Then, in a dedicated branch, any changes you made so far to try to make it work on newer NVDA.
Then, I guess, open the wiki section to Daniel's work on specifications?
Can you handle this or do you want I handle setting this up on my side and give you access?

Also, although a notepad appModule might be convenient for testing in earlier stages, I may have other practical solutions to propose for the real thing, such as an appModule overlay you can activate on any content/editor using global gestures.

Best regards,

Julien Cochuyt
Accessolutions

Le mer. 6 nov. 2019 à 12:50, Nathaniel Schmidt <schmidty2244@...> a écrit :
Hi David,

Thank you for your message and keen interest.  I hope this project can ultimately help you in your work and make it easier.  I only have a mild-to-moderate level of knowledge concerning the python language, so there will be a bit of a limit as to what I can actually achieve.  if you would like to discuss anything further then you can do so privately by emailing: schmidty2244@....

Kind regards,

Nathaniel Schmidt

On 6 Nov 2019, at 11:32 am, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Hi Nathaniel!

My name is David Moore, and I tutor math quite a bit!

I type math and read math using LaTeX all of the time!

What you have mentioned with this add-on would help me so very much!

I no nothing about python, and could not contribute to the coding, but I would really like to work hand and hand with the person who would take the coding on, and I would like to work with that person to let them know just what the add-on should be able to do.

I am math all the way lOL!

And would be very interested in working with someone to update and add to this add-on!

Please email me, Nathaniel, or anyone else who wants to email me!

MY email is:
jesusloves1966@...

This is the most exciting NVDA news I have seen in a long time!

I hope I receive some messages from some people!

I work a lot with series notation, and a lot of calculus expressions.

Have a great day!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:02 AM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io; nvda-addons@groups.io
Subject: [nvda-devel] Plugin Help please!

Hi all,

If anyone can help, I would be grateful.  I am currently trying to update some plugin code I wrote the bulk of back in 2011, periodically updating it with a couple of other contributors up until about 2014.  I am hoping to ultimately package it as an addon and submit it to the community page, in the hope that people may find it useful.  I stopped coding while I was doing undergrad studies so I am a bit out-of-practice.  The plugin used to work with earlier versions of NVDA but no longer does.  In the past it has been used by at least two other people that I know of apart from myself (one of them may still be on the nvda-dev mailing list), so I feel that it may be a reasonable coding courtesy to try to update the code as much as possible, though it is no longer useful to me personally.  So won't be too worried if problems cannot be overcome.  FYI, I am using Windows 10 with NVDA 2019.2.1, Python 3.8 and comtypes 1.1.7.

The plugin was initially a global plugin (an admittedly sloppy but superficially convenient choice for its purposes) that would use registered COM objects, allowing Windows screen-readers to communicate with a cross-platform Python package called Latex-Access, developed by Alastair Irving at http://latex-access.sourceforge.net/.  The package's main purpose is to translate lines of LaTeX syntax into Nemeth and UEB Braille, as well as speech, making it quicker and easier to read and understand equations and expressions.  It also contains a matrix browser for viewing matrices in a table-like fashion.  In addition, it contains a preprocessor for interpreting and expressing custom-defined LaTeX expressions.  It would be somewhat useful for those studying, or teaching, mathematics at a secondary or tertiary educational level and who use the LaTeX document preparation system for their work, or reviewing the work of others.

The final checked-out file in Subversion is not up-to-date, as the project manager seems to have potentially gone off the grid and I can no longer remember the password to my old SourceForge account attached to my old email, so I am unable to make commits.  So a Dropbox link is below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5qqiu6abgu7ekn/notepad.py?dl=0

The plugin is in the process of being ported from a global plugin to an app module, which an end-user should be able to rename at their leisure, to the executable file of any text-editor of their choice.  This should mostly be a smooth transition in each instance, as the scripts are designed to work within accessible edit controls.  Currently the plugin only supports controls which notify of text selection changes but this could be altered in future.  I realise that some of the key bindings are likely to clash with commands from other editors; I am happy to change them for the community but for now, the primary desire has been to stick with the conventions subjectively, implicitly set out by the project manager who wrote the JAWS scripts.  To keep things simple, I have set the appModule to use notepad.

The problem currently at the forefront is unintended and unexplained triggering of scripts.  One in particular, "script_inputMatrix", is causing havoc by being triggered by just about every possible keypress relevant to typing input and I am struggling to trace the exact cause of the problem.  The debug log output is as follows:

---Start---

IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (15:46:18.426):

Input: kb(laptop):control+m

ERROR - core.CorePump.run (15:46:18.454):

errors in this core pump cycle

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "core.pyo", line 489, in run

File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 903, in pumpAll

File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 620, in processGenericWinEvent

File "appModuleHandler.pyo", line 134, in update

File "appModuleHandler.pyo", line 119, in getAppModuleFromProcessID

File "appModuleHandler.pyo", line 97, in getAppNameFromProcessID

File "C:\Users\natha\AppData\Roaming\nvda\scratchpad\appModules\notepad.py", line 190

ui.message (_(msg))

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

DEBUGWARNING - NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA._prefetchUIACacheForPropertyIDs (15:46:19.369):

IUIAutomationElement.buildUpdatedCache failed given IDs of set([30019, 30022, 30086, 30025, 30036, 30070, 30103, 30008, 30009, 30010, 30046, 30079])

---End---

Sometimes the same error repeats twice with only one keypress but I have no idea why.  I have two questions resulting from this output:

(1) What, precisely, is the syntax error? I feel stupid in asking but I can't figure it out.  I’m sure it's probably right in front of me.  The only thing that springs to mind is that maybe the gettext function has trouble with the explicit call to the str class, forcing some integers to be converted to strings but that is not exactly a syntax error.

(2) The general flow of the debug log (especially consecutive occurrences of the same error after general input and output) tells me that the script in question is being categorically triggered after just about every keypress.  How and why could this be happening? Is there something wrong in the appModules subclass method of EditableText._caretScriptPostMovedHelper? I fully realise that python does not call methods of the same name in bass classes unless the subclass explicitly calls them; however, I do not see how this makes a difference in this instance because I have rehashed all of the code anyway and have placed my own code inside it.

Is anyone willing or able to help me with this dilemma? If anyone wants to use the latex-access scripts with Python 3 then in order to register the COM objects, you will have to go into preprocessor.py and enclose the statement "import cPickle as pickle" with the following:

---Start---

try:

import cPickle as pickle

except:

import pickle

---End---

Python 3 tries to automatically load the accelerator module first so one cannot explicitly call the faster module written in C.

Also, as an aside, I know that Braille support is currently rather primitive.  I don’t really understand the brailleHandler code at the moment, so my capacity to manipulate its data is quite limited.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Nathaniel Schmidt

<C783F415002B425D8EBADD5BFB39D94D.png>

Join nvda-devel@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.