Re: Add-on issue - Getting text from a PDF

James Scholes

Modifying speech sequences is what the speech dictionary is for. It supports regular expressions to allow you to adapt it to your more advanced needs. PDF documents are often rendered inside a virtual buffer, making what you're trying to do potentially difficult. Is there a reason the speech dictionary won't work?

Regards,

James Scholes

On 05/11/2019 at 11:55 am, Stefano Bringhenti wrote:
Hello,
I am writing since I would like to get some insights about getting text from a PDF file. In particular, I would like that the add-on gets and changes spoken text from a PDF file while navigating it (through arrow keys). While the add-on perfectly works on any text editor (by omitting the default speach, using "event_caret" and a function which gets the text from the caret position, modifies it and then speaks it again), the same does not work for a PDF file, since the caret seems to not move at all while using the arrow keys. I think the problem could be solved using something different from the caret for PDF files, but I do not know how to change the add-on in order to let it works also for PDF files. If anyone knows how to solve the problem or some other add-on with a similar aim please write back.
Thanks in advance,
Stefano Bringhenti