Re: UIAutomation performance

francisco del roio

El 3/10/2019 a las 12:10, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist escribió:
Hi!
I'm a heavy Visual Studio user, both VS 2017 and 2019.

The main issue I have with Visual Studio and NVDA is that NVDA seems to
get overloaded with events or something when Visual Studio compiles in
the background. NVDA can't speak what's focused sometimes, quite often
sadly. When pressing Ctrl + Alt + L to set focus in the Solution Manager
I can move up and down in the treeview and NVDA is silent. I can press
F2 to get into edit mode for the file names or folder names and then
NVDA wakes up and speaks that text. Sometimes I restart NVDA in order to
get it on track again. Switching app with Alt + Tab and back again
sometimes makes it work.

I've tried to add registry keys to set higher priority for NVDA and
lower for some of the Visual Studio executables like the C# compiler but
that didn't make any difference.

The silence is always encountered when compiling and there are errors.
The error list is focused but NVDA doesn't speak because stuff happens
in the background. Because I lack patience I press Ctrl + C and then
Ctrl + Shift + C which I've mapped to say what's on the clipboard. If I
wait a loong time NVDA will begin speaking in that list too.

I haven't ramped up the logging to see what's causing the delay and I
don't know if there would be the info necessary to hunt down the problem.

One thing I've made to Visual Studio is changed the setting so when I
move around in the Solution Manager and selecting files they don't open
in the editor automatically. That have made the navigation of the
treeview smoother because NVDA got busy during the loading and
enterpretation of the file's contents.

I gladly experiment along with you to find the bottleneck because Visual
Studio is my main tool for developing WinForms and iOS apps.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto
Yes, I have these issues too. I think that NVDA logging doesn't provides
good information regarding this. I proposed a revamp of the logging
subsystem to track problems like this.

See this link:

Cuando tus fuerzas terminan, las de mi Dios comienzan.