Re: Proposal: enforce minimum and last tested NVDA version flags for add-on reviews and certification upon 2019.3 release?

Brian's Mail list account

Well I did say this at the time, but its hard to find a suitable replacement. I'd suggest that to muddy the water by saying this should work on xxx version is less committal than saying it will. I think that if it does not work, then the author hopefully will fix that as most of the big changes have already been made to cope with sound refactoring wx and python 3, so gotcha later on may well revolve around other more hard to predict stuff, which is what has been happening on and off in python 2 already, Remote add on remember?
I'm still not sure what is going on there.

From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@...>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2019 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Proposal: enforce minimum and last tested NVDA version flags for add-on reviews and certification upon 2019.3 release?

I'm still curious how the last tested version of a plugin can be for a
version that hasn't even been released yet.

I argued during the whole invention of this scheme that calling it last
tested version was a bad idea, but apparently, nobody payed attention. I
strongly urge that this parameter get a new name, since it's impossible
to test a nonexistent version for compatibility. Call it expected
compatible, or next release version or something, but not last tested
version, since there hasn't been any testing for a release that doesn't
exist. You're only confusing people.

On 9/26/2019 6:53 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Yesterday there was a discussion on NVDA add-ons list about Python 3
compatibility of add-ons and state of their manifests. While some
add-ons do declare 2019.3 as last tested version and are indeed Python
3 ready, others such as Classic Selection is Python 3 ready from
source code level but not via the manifest. This is a point of
confusion because when installing such add-ons in NVDA 2019.3, NVDA
will say the add-on in question is incompatible.

Thus I would like to propose that when reviewing add-ons for inclusion
in community add-ons website, reviewers should perform manifest
checks. If an add-on does use features from a given release yet the
manifest says otherwise, authors should be notified and corrections
must be made before the add-on is included. In case of an add-on
declaring last tested version as something yet the source code says
something else, it still needs to be tested in the last tested version
(and newer) specified so the source code and the manifest is in sync.
This check also helps authors realize that they do need to update
their manifests from time to time to keep up with NVDA changes,
because ideally, reviewers should not be the ones telling authors to
update their manifests unless it is necessary to do so.

As for when to enforce compatibility range check (minimum version <=
current version <= last tested version), I propose January 1, 2020 as
start date. This allows people to prepare for both NVDA 2019.3 and
this check at the same time. As for what to do with add-ons that does
not include minimum and last tested version flags in their manifests,
I think a notice should be sent to authors so they can take care of it
as soon as possible, or if the author isn’t willing, NVDA community
should do it (for Classic Selection, it is Tyler Spivey who should be
contacted).

If this proposal is adopted by the community, I propose sending out a
notice about it several times:

* November 1, 2019: giving authors 60 days to change their manifests
and do something about Python 3.
* One of the 2019.3 betas if NV Access agrees with this proposal.
* NVDA 2019.3 RC and stable release: to remind users about this
change if adopted.