Re: Proposal: enforce minimum and last tested NVDA version flags for add-on reviews and certification upon 2019.3 release?

Brian's Mail list account

OK I do think you are right here. On e has to draw a line in the sand at some point or it gets confusing, not only to users, but those building add ons. I also do agree that if a fix is simply a couple of lines of source and the manifest, if the author has not fixed it and somebody has made it work, it should be possible for that version to be added as an unofficial dev version for testing and if it seems stable and works the modifier can be added to the author list and the add on declared stable. Not all authors are still around of course, since life is like that and it would be a great shame if functions in some of these add ons are lost just because a couple of lines of source and a manifest tweak are needed. Obviously, very complex add ons such as the pesky 3D sounds one, are probably beyond the scope of 'simple fix' solutions. grin.

From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2019 11:53 PM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Proposal: enforce minimum and last tested NVDA version flags for add-on reviews and certification upon 2019.3 release?

Hi all,

Yesterday there was a discussion on NVDA add-ons list about Python 3
compatibility of add-ons and state of their manifests. While some add-ons do
declare 2019.3 as last tested version and are indeed Python 3 ready, others
such as Classic Selection is Python 3 ready from source code level but not
via the manifest. This is a point of confusion because when installing such
add-ons in NVDA 2019.3, NVDA will say the add-on in question is
incompatible.

Thus I would like to propose that when reviewing add-ons for inclusion in
community add-ons website, reviewers should perform manifest checks. If an
add-on does use features from a given release yet the manifest says
otherwise, authors should be notified and corrections must be made before
the add-on is included. In case of an add-on declaring last tested version
as something yet the source code says something else, it still needs to be
tested in the last tested version (and newer) specified so the source code
and the manifest is in sync. This check also helps authors realize that they
do need to update their manifests from time to time to keep up with NVDA
changes, because ideally, reviewers should not be the ones telling authors
to update their manifests unless it is necessary to do so.

As for when to enforce compatibility range check (minimum version <= current
version <= last tested version), I propose January 1, 2020 as start date.
This allows people to prepare for both NVDA 2019.3 and this check at the
same time. As for what to do with add-ons that does not include minimum and
last tested version flags in their manifests, I think a notice should be
sent to authors so they can take care of it as soon as possible, or if the
author isn't willing, NVDA community should do it (for Classic Selection, it
is Tyler Spivey who should be contacted).

If this proposal is adopted by the community, I propose sending out a notice
about it several times:

* November 1, 2019: giving authors 60 days to change their manifests
and do something about Python 3.
* One of the 2019.3 betas if NV Access agrees with this proposal.
* NVDA 2019.3 RC and stable release: to remind users about this change
if adopted.