Proposal: enforce minimum and last tested NVDA version flags for add-on reviews and certification upon 2019.3 release?

Hi all,

Yesterday there was a discussion on NVDA add-ons list about Python 3 compatibility of add-ons and state of their manifests. While some add-ons do declare 2019.3 as last tested version and are indeed Python 3 ready, others such as Classic Selection is Python 3 ready from source code level but not via the manifest. This is a point of confusion because when installing such add-ons in NVDA 2019.3, NVDA will say the add-on in question is incompatible.

Thus I would like to propose that when reviewing add-ons for inclusion in community add-ons website, reviewers should perform manifest checks. If an add-on does use features from a given release yet the manifest says otherwise, authors should be notified and corrections must be made before the add-on is included. In case of an add-on declaring last tested version as something yet the source code says something else, it still needs to be tested in the last tested version (and newer) specified so the source code and the manifest is in sync. This check also helps authors realize that they do need to update their manifests from time to time to keep up with NVDA changes, because ideally, reviewers should not be the ones telling authors to update their manifests unless it is necessary to do so.

As for when to enforce compatibility range check (minimum version <= current version <= last tested version), I propose January 1, 2020 as start date. This allows people to prepare for both NVDA 2019.3 and this check at the same time. As for what to do with add-ons that does not include minimum and last tested version flags in their manifests, I think a notice should be sent to authors so they can take care of it as soon as possible, or if the author isn’t willing, NVDA community should do it (for Classic Selection, it is Tyler Spivey who should be contacted).

If this proposal is adopted by the community, I propose sending out a notice about it several times:

  • November 1, 2019: giving authors 60 days to change their manifests and do something about Python 3.
  • One of the 2019.3 betas if NV Access agrees with this proposal.
  • NVDA 2019.3 RC and stable release: to remind users about this change if adopted.