NVDA 2019.3 and add-ons: progress update for September 2019

Dear NVDA community,

For those on the users list, a more user-friendly version will be sent soon.

Some updates on NVDA 2019.3 and add-on porting efforts:

  • How far are we: as of September 19, out of 68 add-ons hosted on community add-ons website, 43 (63%) are compatible with NVDA 2019.3 (Python 3). This count does not include one or two latest additions, but status for these will be added soon. Also, combined with ones in progress and planned ones, we got vast majority of add-ons covered.
  • Notable recent efforts: as you may have heard, Rui Fontes announced a Python 3 version of Vocalizer Direct (version 2.x) driver is under testing, and more speech synthesizer vendors are starting to notice how important it is for them to port their add-ons. Also, Tony’s various navigation add-ons are now Python 3 compatible – both Python 2 and 3 versions are ready, and DictationBridge team has committed to releasing a Python 3 version of DictationBridge soon (a public beta is scheduled to go out shortly after NVDA 2019.3 beta 1 is released).

The next progress update will be sent shortly after NVDA 2019.3 beta 1 is released.