Re: WX.Menu item help text: where is it used?

Brian's Mail list account

Why are you using such an old version of nvda, are you using XP?

From: "Luke Davis" <luke@...>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 3:22 AM
Subject: [nvda-devel] WX.Menu item help text: where is it used?

Hello

Perhaps a stupid question, but if I call something like:

gui.mainFrame.sysTrayIcon.preferencesMenu.Append(wx.ID_ANY, _("&menuItemName..."), _("Some descriptive text"))

where will "Some descriptive text" be used?

WX calls this "help", so I thought I would find it in a mouse hover or tooltip of some kind, but in attempting this with both the keyboard and the actual mouse, in NVDA 2017.3, I can not get anything spoken.

The docs for WX.Menu 4.1.0 say:

An optional help string associated with the item. By default, the handler for the wxEVT_MENU_HIGHLIGHT event
displays this string in the status line.

Which helps me not at all.

Thanks

--
Luke Davis