Recommended way of "hiding" certain elements #3030-advice

Toni Barth

Hello NVDA Developers,

i'm developing an add-on right now to enhance the usability of an application. This application contains at least one table with several cells, but some of those cells, even though they are navigatable by NVDA, contain unimportant information, like the text 'None' or just an icon. I thus wanted to "hide" those cells for the user and tried several ways to do so. I overlayed the table row and override _get_children(), removing the certain children from the list, but I noticed that _get_children() never seems to get executed. I also tried adding states to the specific cells like controlTypes.STATE_INVISIBLE or controlTypes.STATE_UNAVAILABLE, but nothing helped. I also tried moving the focus manually whenever the cell is focused by using event_gainFocus(), but even this seems to mess up things even further.

Do you have an idea how to remove those cells from keyboard navigation (not navigator, but at least from tab/arrow keys navigation)?

Thanks for your help :).

Best Regards.

Toni Barth