Re: Joseph Lee's add-ons and NVDA 2019.3: Python 3 alpha builds of Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist are now available

Brian's Mail list account

Erm if you are running both versions of resource monitor together now, why would you change that as leaving the python 2 parts would presumably mean you only need one copy of that add on if you have old and new versions of nvda in use. I know a lot of people who keep older versions around as well.
Is this not making more work for everyone and yourself?

From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:23 PM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Joseph Lee's add-ons and NVDA 2019.3: Python 3 alpha builds of Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist are now available

Hi all,

A few days ago I wrote that I'll release Python 3 alpha versions of some of
my add-ons (ones with Python 3 strict branch or requiring NVDA 2019.3
technologies) shortly after NVDA 2019.2 sees the light of day. Now that it
did, I'm releasing Python 3 alpha versions of the following add-ons:

* Resource Monitor:
http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvdaaddons/py3/resourceMonitor-20190814-py3.nv
da-addon
* StationPlaylist:
http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvdaaddons/py3/stationPlaylist-20190814-py3.nv
da-addon

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. These add-ons REQUIRE NVDA 2019.3 alpha.
2. Update check for these add-ons will not be possible - Add-on Updater
doesn't know how to check for updates for Python 3 alpha builds, and that is
intentional.
3. After installing these add-ons, there is no going back. For this
reason, please use another copy of NVDA for testing these add-ons.
4. For StationPlaylist users: the Python 3 alpha builds of this add-on
will be released only if significant changes were made to SPL add-on that
warrants testing with NVDA 2019.3 alpha. Those on development snapshots
(regular ones, that is) will not see Python 3 version of SPL add-on until
shortly after 2019.3 RC is released; a limited field testing will take place
during 2019.3 beta cycle. Due to pickle protocol changes, after installing
today's alpha snapshot, there is no going back.
5. For Resource Monitor users: you'll notice smaller download size due
to removal of Python 2 version of psutil. Python 3 alpha version of Resource
Monitor will bundle Python 3 version of psutil.
6. There will be more add-ons joining the Python 3 alpha testing
program, either because they will be optimized for Python 3 (such as
SystrayList), supports newer versions of NVDA (such as Windows 10 App
Essentials), or a combination of these.

Any feedback on my add-ons participating in Python 3 alpha testing are
welcome.