Joseph Lee's add-ons and NVDA 2019.3: Python 3 alpha builds of Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist are now available

Hi all,

A few days ago I wrote that I’ll release Python 3 alpha versions of some of my add-ons (ones with Python 3 strict branch or requiring NVDA 2019.3 technologies) shortly after NVDA 2019.2 sees the light of day. Now that it did, I’m releasing Python 3 alpha versions of the following add-ons:

IMPORTANT NOTES:

  1. These add-ons REQUIRE NVDA 2019.3 alpha.
  2. Update check for these add-ons will not be possible – Add-on Updater doesn’t know how to check for updates for Python 3 alpha builds, and that is intentional.
  3. After installing these add-ons, there is no going back. For this reason, please use another copy of NVDA for testing these add-ons.
  4. For StationPlaylist users: the Python 3 alpha builds of this add-on will be released only if significant changes were made to SPL add-on that warrants testing with NVDA 2019.3 alpha. Those on development snapshots (regular ones, that is) will not see Python 3 version of SPL add-on until shortly after 2019.3 RC is released; a limited field testing will take place during 2019.3 beta cycle. Due to pickle protocol changes, after installing today’s alpha snapshot, there is no going back.
  5. For Resource Monitor users: you’ll notice smaller download size due to removal of Python 2 version of psutil. Python 3 alpha version of Resource Monitor will bundle Python 3 version of psutil.
  6. There will be more add-ons joining the Python 3 alpha testing program, either because they will be optimized for Python 3 (such as SystrayList), supports newer versions of NVDA (such as Windows 10 App Essentials), or a combination of these.

Any feedback on my add-ons participating in Python 3 alpha testing are welcome.