From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 12:45 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Add-on Updater 19.08 released, first of two
mandatory updates for everyone #AddonRelease

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019, Joseph Lee wrote:

As for explanation as to how update channel is calculated, see another
message sent a few minutes ago.
Yes, and interesting it is. Sadly, the new add-on developer reading existing
documentation will have no way of knowing any of it. It is part of
institutional deep knowledge--things that are just "known" by people who
have been inside for a long while, or intentionally set out to learn it.

As I have discussed with you privately, my goal is to make the add-on
development process as un-obscure as possible, with as little documentation
and knowledge scatter as we can manage. Which is why I'm harping on this.:)

> As for the key description, I think the suggested wording sounds fine,
with
a caveat that there should be an explanation (within brackets) that
clarifies what "None" means if left alone.
Quite right. Perhaps this?

# Add-on update channel: should be None (for stable add-ons), or "dev" (with
quotes) # (for development releases). You can create your own custom
channels if you really know what you're doing.

Luke