Re: Joseph Lee's add-ons: alpha builds of strictly Python 3 versions of some add-ons to make their debut soon

Brian's Mail list account

However I'm assuming there is not any reason why one cannot have a portable version running from the previous stable in which case it will have the older add on, as You say the older ones will not install and vice versa, I assume.

I'm still playing with the extended winamp to see if I can get it to work in python 2 after making it python 3. I know I'm thick!

From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 12:43 AM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Joseph Lee's add-ons: alpha builds of strictly Python 3 versions of some add-ons to make their debut soon

Hi everyone,

Although most of my add-ons (except one or two) are Python 2 and 3
compatible, I hinted that there are some that are strictly Python 3
compatible - that is, requiring NVDA 2019.3 (alpha form at the moment). A
few days ago I hinted that I'll be releasing thee "strictly Python 3"
add-ons in August, and yes, they will make their debut very soon in the form
of alpha add-on snapshots, shortly after NVDA 2019.2 stable is released.

The following add-ons do have a Python 3 strict version:

* Add-on Updater
* Resource Monitor
* StationPlaylist

In addition, the following add-ons will participate in testing due to use of
wxPython 4 (phoenix):

* Golden Cursor
* SystrayList

Note: although there is a Python 3 branch for Add-on Updater, this add-on
will not participate in this test.

A few things to note about these add-ons (especially for ones that are
strictly Python 3):

1. All of them will require NVDA 2019.3 alpha in order for them to even
install.
2. Upcoming alpha snapshots of these add-ons will not receive updates
via Add-on Updater - you will need to install updates manually. For the time
being, alpha builds for these add-ons will be hosted on my website (links
will be provided once the snapshots go live).
3. If you happen to be using StationPlaylist, after installing Python 3
snapshot, there is no going back; attempting to do so will result in certain
features not working properly. This is due to use of pickle module.
4. In case bugs are found, please provide steps to reproduce. Once I
can verify them and tested with current stable releases, I'll incorporate
changes to either the Python 3 version or the stable release if they are
strictly due to Python 3 or reproducible in stable releases, respectively.
5. Shortly after NVDA 2019.3 beta is released, some add-ons will show
up on development channel so they can be tested widely. These add-ons will
then become eligible for update checks via Add-on Updater if told to check
for development releases. Again, for some add-ons, after installing these
snapshots, there is no going back.
6. Shortly after NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released, some add-ons
will switch the stable channel to Python 3 version. In 2020, all add-ons
from me will be powered by Python 3. As I noted earlier, I'll announce when
this will happen shortly before then.

Special note on Add-on Updater: the policy for this add-on is to support the
latest stable release of NVDA because the add-on itself is destined for NVDA
Core as a pull request. However, I know that some may wish to delay updating
to NVDA 2019.3 stable (later this year) due to add-ons they love which are
not Python 3 ready (hence the call to the community to port add-ons).
Therefore, if you are using this add-on, I will give you some more weeks to
migrate to NVDA 2019.3, thus Add-on Updater will be the last add-on to
switch to Python 3 fully. I'll announce the transition date for this add-on
shortly after NVDA 2019.3 release candidate (RC) is released.