Extra checks for Pull Requests

Reef Turner

Hi everyone,

We have recently introduced new checks for Pull Requests on GitHub.

Code contributors regularly have to deal with ill-defined and inconsistently enforced code style requirements. Code reviewers spend much of their time reporting minor issues, time that would be better spent looking for architectural problems / product issues / logic errors.

To improve this situation, in future PR builds the Flake8 linter will be run checking any new code that will be introduced with a PR. This can also be run with SCons using `scons lint base=origin/master`. Please see the `tests/lint/readme.md` file for more information.

As part of a PR build, the Flake8 linter will be run checking any new code that will be introduced with a PR. When Flake8 reports the does not comply with it’s configuration, a message from Appveyor will be added as a comment to the Pull Request, and the build will fail. Please note, that in this case the artifacts (PR build executable) will still be available if those steps were successful.

We have included an extension with the linter setup to allow tabs instead of spaces, and my find it necessary to disable other warnings, or introduce workarounds. However, in general we would like to stick as close to the default settings as possible.

Thanks for all your contributions!

--

Reef Turner
Software Developer