Re: Query regarding the porting of NVDA to Python3

Travis Siegel

Seriously folks, 64-bit NVDA is a nice to have, not a necessity.  There are multiple 3rd party libraries NVDA relies on, and unless each and every one of those are ported to 64-bit, producing a 64-bit version won't help.  Also, in general, unless a program uses large amounts of memory, or does other cpu intensive tasks, 64-bit versions will provide no benefit.  Often times, this rush to get everything to 64-bit actually hurts a program's performance, because the program is not optimized for 64-bit functionality, and the program suffers performance penalties as a result.  Joseph is doing the right thing here by working into the transition from python 2 to 3 slowly, and looking at 64-bit conversion later.  There's no benefit to producing a 64-bit version of NVDA if all of the speech synthesizers use 32-bit versions, that will at best provide no benefit, and at worst, make the program unstable.  We really don't want that, so folks, hold your horses, take a deep breath, and know that 64-bit versions of NVDA will appear when the developers determine it's appropriate to do so, and not before.  It's a voluntary effort, and nobody is going to benefit from a 64-bit version if it doesn't operate properly.

On 7/31/2019 7:45 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

This also means storing at least two binaries on the server, which might not be ideal if one wishes to create a portable copy that can run anywhere.

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 4:44 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Query regarding the porting of NVDA to Python3

Hi Joseph,

In that case, couldn't there be a web installer, which checks operating system version, and downloads the correct version based on that information? Firefox for example does this.

On 7/31/2019 10:25 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

I think we discussed this at length a while ago, and consensus is that it is better to keep them as one for ease of portability.