Re: Query regarding the porting of NVDA to Python3

Hi,

This also means storing at least two binaries on the server, which might not be ideal if one wishes to create a portable copy that can run anywhere.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 4:44 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Query regarding the porting of NVDA to Python3

Hi Joseph,

In that case, couldn't there be a web installer, which checks operating system version, and downloads the correct version based on that information? Firefox for example does this.

On 7/31/2019 10:25 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

I think we discussed this at length a while ago, and consensus is that it is better to keep them as one for ease of portability.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:24 AM

Hi Joseph,

Couldn't these issues be solved by having two installers (32 and 64 bit), instead of one?

Best,

Enes

On 7/30/2019 10:22 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Another downside is that x64 NVDA build won’t run on ARM64 on older Windows 10 releases because the emulator only supports x86 32-bit, although moving to 64-bit means a native ARM build becomes theoretically possible.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Leonard de Ruijter
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:07 AM

Hello,

As far as I"m aware, there are currently no plans to create an x64 version of NVDA. No one stops anyone from putting some research into it, but I think the benefits it would have are mostly theoretical ones. It should be noted that we wouldn't be able to cover x86 systems with such a build of NVDA, so that's probably the most major reason not to investigate it further at this time.

Regards,

Leonard

Join nvda-devel@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.