Re: Add Shift+Enter and Shift+numpadEnter for announcing previous cell in the same column in Excel

Abdel

Hi Jim,

Try to explain what is not clear to you, I will try to clarify it.

You just have to understand that NVDA needs to know which key has been pressed in a cell selection change in Excel, to be able to render the information to the user.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 16/04/2019 à 22:25, Jim Homme a écrit :
Hi Abdul,
Sorry for not understanding.

Jim

==========
Jim Homme
Digital Accessibility
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Abdel via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:25 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Add Shift+Enter and Shift+numpadEnter for announcing previous cell in the same column in Excel

Hi Jim,

You wrote :

I was trying to say that Excel uses these keys for its purposes. Am I
missing something?
In fact, these keys that Excel uses continue to do their job, NVDA just adds the ability to announce the cell that was reached once one of these keys was used.

When you press Enter, depending on the configuration you have chosen in Excel, NVDA tells you the cell you have reached, which can be the down cell, the current cell, or the up cell.

It is thanks to the presence of the Enter key in the selection change gestures used by NVDA that I described in my previous email.

If you remove this key from this list, Excel will still do its job, but NVDA will not announce anything at all.

That's why in the Pull Request, I added the Shift + Enter and Shift + numpadEnter gestures, so that NVDA does not remain silent when Excel moves the focus to the up cell.

I hope my explanation has been clear enough.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 16/04/2019 à 14:42, Jim Homme a écrit :
Hi,
I have my Excel set up so that when I press Enter, the focus stays in the same cell. This way, I have to press arrow keys if I want to go to a new cell.

Jim

==========
Jim Homme
Digital Accessibility
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-techn
ology-solutions

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rui
Fontes via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Add Shift+Enter and Shift+numpadEnter for
announcing previous cell in the same column in Excel

Excuse me, but what Abdel wants is NVDA announcing the new cell where the focus go when pressing Shift+Enter...
Excel moves to the previous cell, but NVDA do not move the focus neither announces the new cell...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:41 de 15/04/2019, Jim Homme escreveu:
Hi,
Both keys are a key conflict with Excel. Also, the changes I am thinking about with Excel would have more things speaking with the key we already have, NVDA+TAB. Instead of the current cell only, I would have sheet name, column and row info, and current cell.

Jim

==========
Jim Homme
Digital Accessibility
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-tech
n
ology-solutions

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Abdel
via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 1:28 PM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Add Shift+Enter and Shift+numpadEnter for
announcing previous cell in the same column in Excel

Hi dear developers of NVDA,

I come back with a request I had already made in the past concerning the announcement of the current cell with Excel.

In principle, as the enter and numpadEnter keys announce the next cell in the same column, the shift+enter and shift+numpadEnter keys should announce the previous cell.

In fact, moving to previous or next cell is integrated by default in Excel, NVDA should just announce the current cell with each move.

I think it should be simple enough to implement, just add these 2 gestures in the 'NVDAObjects.window.excel.py' module, in the ExcelWorksheet class and more particularly, in the gestures parameter of the scriptHandler.script decorator.

I just created for that, it's available here :

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/9492
Thank you for integrating this change into a future version of NVDA.

Best regards,
Abdel.

Join nvda-devel@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.