Re: Problem with fast browse mode - multiple NVDAObjects are created

Reef Turner

Hi Tony,

I can't speak for Michael, or the previous conversations that you have had. However, I can point out that this has been a very busy month for us at NV Access. We have had a week at CSUN AT conference (and got over the resulting jetlag), worked hard to get 2019.1 out the door and are pursuing a 2019.1.1 release. Michael and the rest of the team are taking some leave before we get into the work for the next quarter. I'm telling you this just to give some context.

Internal to NV Access, I'm sure you can appreciate that we have our own priorities and quite a busy schedule. The best advice I can give you for getting help on your project, is to try to distil the problem down to it's core, explain it is simply and succinctly as you can. You may find that there are other people on this list who can help.

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 18:15, Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@...> wrote:
Hello Michael,

Did you see my previous emails?

--Tony

On 3/25/2019 3:12 PM, Tony Malykh via Groups.Io wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> I was wondering if I could have any assistance with this issue? I was
> under impression that you offered to help me with debugging fast
> browse mode PR... I haven't heard from you for more than two weeks, so
> should I keep waiting? Or did I misunderstand you and I'm own my own
> with this PR?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Tony
>
> On 3/20/2019 9:20 AM, Tony Malykh via Groups.Io wrote:
>> Moving this thread to new mailing list.
>>
>> [BCC old mailing list]
>>

>> --Tony
>>
>> On 3/9/2019 2:49 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
>>> Hello NVDA devs and especially Michael,
>>>
>>> I am trying to work on fast browse mode PR (a.k.a. focus follows
>>> browse mode off).
>>> Just a quick recap: In v1 of this PR there were some  bugs related
>>> to the fact that some logic was asynchronous and it relied on
>>> gainFocus event being received from the operating system. However in
>>> some cases for unknown reason operating system wouldn't send this
>>> event, causing bugs that are hard to deal with, such as inability to
>>> activate form elements on web pages.
>>> I am now working on v2:
>>> https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/9360
>>> The code is by no means ready to be reviewed, but it's just for the
>>> reference.
>>> The main change in v2 is replacing asynchronous logic with
>>> synchronous logic there, and in general it works, but there is one
>>> new bugI'm facing that I would like to discuss and maybe ask for
>>> some help.
>>>
>>> Basic description of the bug:
>>> When unchecking a checkbox on a web page, its new state is not being
>>> announced. The bug only reproduces for unchecking - that is checking
>>> previously blank checkbox works as expected.
>>> Here are the concrete steps to reproduce the bug.
>>> 1. Enter Fast browse mode by pressing NVDA+num row 8.
>>> 2. In Chrome or Firefox navigate to
>>> https://www.ironspider.ca/forms/checkradio.htm
>>> 3. Check the first 3 checkboxes on the page
>>> 5. Press space to uncheck it. The check box will be successfully
>>> unchecked, but the new state will not be announced immediately.
>>>
>>> I spent some time debugging this , and here are my findings so far.
>>> Announcing state change works like this. First
>>> speech.speakObject(obj,controlTypes.REASON_ONLYCACHE) is called to
>>> cache the previous state. In traditional browse mode this function
>>> is called when user navigates to that checkbox, and therefore system
>>> focus is switched to that checkbox as well. This happens in
>>> BrowseModeDocumentTreeInterceptor.event_gainFocus.
>>> Then, assuming that user presses space bar on a checkbox,
>>> BrowseModeTreeInterceptor._activatePosition is triggered, which
>>> activates this checkbox. Shortly, in response to that we receive a
>>> state changed event, that is processed in
>>> NVDAObject.event_stateChange(), which in turn calls
>>> speech.speakObjectProperties(self,states=True,

--
Reef Turner
Software Developer