Re: Is anyone using proxmox in production?

Arthur Corliss

It's KVM, but it's not libvirsh-compatible KVM. Not a bad product, but they
built their own management stack. I've used it and have to support it,
but at this stage of the game, there's nothing they're doing that
you can't roll on your own for free. The only value-add I see is that the
web GUI makes KVM management more approachable for those with less linux-fu
than others.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021, Jeremy Austin wrote:

Hi JP,

I have had Proxmox in production since 2015, including multiple clusters
with hyperconverged clustered storage, at small ISPs and medium-sized
businesses.

As a wrapper/management system for KVM and LXC, I have no complaints -- it
is simple and effective (and the price is right.)

However, I have also supported the project financially since day 1, as they
also do good work around high availability and storage clustering -- I
don't know of any other projects making true HA so accessible at the price.

To sum up, proxmox is a well-maintained product for those who have a
moderate to advanced amount of linux-fu; it doesn't really get in the way.

I also run it in my garage heater home lab which may be a *teensy* bit out
of hand.

Feel free to ask more questions,
Jeremy Austin
IdeaLoft

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 11:09 AM JP <jp@...> wrote:

Hi there NUGA,

I have inherited a proxmox server. I have used it in labs, and have found
it to be pretty solid. I am wondering if anyone is using it in
production, and if you would share your feedback?

Thanks.
---
*Book time with me here: *https://calendly.com/jptechnical

___ _______