Re: turning old laptops into Chromebooks for students

JP

To addon to Royce, the CloudReady install also allows nearly frictionless onboarding. If individuals want to learn Linux and have an old laptop and the downtime, that is great, but if their primary goal is to resurrect an older laptop into immediate service, ChromeOS is the shorter path. Don't get me wrong, Linux is my OS of choice and has been since the TurboLinux days, but it is a big investment in time.

This is coming from a guy with a k8s themed license plate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 7:32 AM Royce Williams <royce.williams@...> wrote:
The advantages of using a Chromebook workalike distribution like CloudReady are:

* its UI is identical to what students are already using on Chromebooks at school
* it is self-patching, without user know-how or intervention required
* it is dramatically stripped down - exactly like ChromeOS is, so its attack surface is minimized

--
Royce

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 7:25 AM Michelle Myers <auroraequine@...> wrote:
Hi

Deepin has a good linux version for old laptops.  Plus it has a very apple like feel.

Join nuga@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.