Topics

WB2FKO short contest report

Mike WB2FKO

6m was exasperatingly bad on Saturday.  Plenty of puny openings coming in from all directions that were too weak for ssb and too short for FT8.  Propagation was in and then gone in less than 30 seconds.  Found the NMVHF chat page useful for coordinating with ops who were within tropo range including several in Arizona, WE7L in Colorado, and K5LA in El Paso.  Made some meteor scatter contacts after the sun went down then called it a night with 64 QSOs.

Meteor scatter conditions on Sunday morning were superb. This produced 21 more contacts, all but one on the 6m calling frequency.  Patchy, short duration 6m Es openings persisted for most of the morning with an FT8 contact about once every 5 minutes on average.  I checked SSB and cw frequencies periodically and heard only silence, so spent majority of Sunday on 6m FT8.

Sustained 6m Es finally happened Sunday afternoon.  As the FT8 waterfall filled with signals, I jumped down to ssb and found very little on tap.  Did some S&P and got a few multipliers.  Parked on 150.140 and sent out a string of CQs to no avail.  Same on 150.125. I occasionally heard local AA5B on ssb so maybe he fared better.

Perhaps because I have a moderate station deep in the city noise, FT8 is where I found the action on 6.  My run rate actually wasn't much different than in past June contests when on phone.  Fortunately and much to my surprise, most digital ops were using contest mode with FT8; that means a QSO happens in 3 exchanges lasting 45 seconds. Yes this is still almost 10x slower than traditional ssb, but FT8 does have some advantages for VHF contests even when there is good propagation: i) I can work stations that would be hopelessly inaudible on ssb, invariably in a new, distant grid; ii) I can see everyone's grid locator and make strategically advantageous calls/replies that add multipliers, not just single points. If I had stuck to traditional analog for this contest, I'm certain my score would have been far lower.

I decoded and was decoded on 6m FT8 in JA and EU during the contest, but did not make any DX QSOs.  Worked 3 New Mexico rovers: KK6MC, W0AMT, and AA5PR, but try as I might could not find the latter in DM83.  Was tracking Duffey via APRS on Sunday, but still missed him in 2 grids. Did not do any FM or 432 this contest. Apologies to the locals for the QRM.

I was single-op, high-power:

Band
QSOs
Pts
Mults
50
190
190
120
144
25
25
17
222
10
20
7
Totals
225
235
144
Score

33840

Bill

Well done Mike,

I finished with 229 Q points and 105 grids for 24,045 total.

I had a good time and didn't take it too seriously.  It was a good opportunity to learn MSK144 and FT8 as I had nobody else around to do it.  Reflecting what Keith W9RM had to say and my experience with you, I may have some disconnects in my log:  I set the logbook reminder in WSJT  and logged a QSO anytime that popped up.  Some times that happened before completing the loaded messages, so I am confused as to what it takes to complete on FT8.  No problems on MSK144.  I didn't use any spotting service on digi; Ping Jockey or other and that gave me some periods when I saw you and others working when nobody answered my CQ.

I was not able to get WSJT-x and N1MM to quit fighting over the radio interface so it was pretty uncomfortable to bail out of a  digi run to finish logging in N1MM.  Also did not have the 6 and 144+ computers networked and that became pretty cumbersome as well.  My fault.

I put up a 432 yagi on a 20 foot pole because Keith wanted a Q but it was far more useful than that. I worked 5 stations in Phoenix as well as Keith on 432 and used it for contacts with Duffey as well.  Longest was K7KMR west of Phoenix at 400.3 miles, CW with 50 watts on both ends.  I'll send a note for the web site posting for that one.  Worked all those guys on 222 and 144 as well.

The new Elecraft amplifier was used on 6 meters and I ran it at about half power on digi modes.  That power setting was used to keep the temperatures down and avoid the high fan setting. It's a great legal limit phone amplifier but not up to the task on digi modes for 6 meters.  It'll probably be OK on HF.

I worked four rovers, the ones you mentioned as well as WA6BJH/r.  Good to see that many in NM.  There was another briefly in the NW corner but I wasn't able to hear him.

Good to hear K5RHR on.  Did you work him?  He asked to work on 1296 so I had a wire antenna and placed it just outside.  We worked on 1/4 watt.

All in all, pretty fun.

73 Bill W7QQ

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM Mike WB2FKO <mph@...> wrote:

[...]

No, did not get RHR during the contest.  I heard you talking to him at some point, but he was gone or inaudible by the time I had the beams pointed north. Only a wire 250 mW on 1296; pretty incredible.

Nice to get K5LA in DM61 on both 2 and 222.  We were both QRP for the latter with big mountains in the way, but piece of cake with FT8.

Worked W7D/R in DN10/11 and DN20/21 using meteor scatter on 6 and 2. That's 2 new ones on 6m and another 4 grids for me on 2m; surprised how quickly it went on 2m but really shouldn't be. Those guys drove halfway across the country to activate some rare grids and brought plenty of horsepower to make sure it was worth the effort. See attached photo from their Twitter feed.  They are even doing mobile MS on 6m and I worked them that way in DN81 on Friday morning before going to work. VHF grid chasers should be aware that they will be setting up in many rare and semi-rare grids on their way back to Iowa this week.

On 6/10/19 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Jay

MIke,
At some point when you and I are in the same place at the same time, remind me to tell you the story from the 2019 June VHF contest where I was listening to you and Bill on 222.1 MHz chatting away.. S9 on my meter.
It was so loud I thought it was locals off the back of my antenna "in the way" of me being able to hear you all.. until Bill signed with his call.

Only some 350 ish miles away over some serious mountains.   ;-)

Nice to work many of you there in NM, and the a new goal to pick up the rest in Sept going forward.    The NMchat page was helpful - minus the odd "logout" that was happening often.

 - Jay N1AV
DM43ff 50MHz - 10GHz (minus 3 GHz)

On 6/10/19 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
> Well done Mike,
>
> I finished with 229 Q points and 105 grids for 24,045 total.
>
> I had a good time and didn't take it too seriously.  It was a good
> opportunity to learn MSK144 and FT8 as I had nobody else around to do
> it.  Reflecting what Keith W9RM had to say and my experience with you,
> I may have some disconnects in my log:  I set the logbook reminder in
> WSJT  and logged a QSO anytime that popped up.  Some times that
> happened before completing the loaded messages, so I am confused as to
> what it takes to complete on FT8.  No problems on MSK144.  I didn't
> use any spotting service on digi; Ping Jockey or other and that gave
> me some periods when I saw you and others working when nobody answered
> my CQ.
>
> I was not able to get WSJT-x and N1MM to quit fighting over the radio
> interface so it was pretty uncomfortable to bail out of a  digi run to
> finish logging in N1MM.  Also did not have the 6 and 144+ computers
> networked and that became pretty cumbersome as well.  My fault.
>
> I put up a 432 yagi on a 20 foot pole because Keith wanted a Q but it
> was far more useful than that. I worked 5 stations in Phoenix as well
> as Keith on 432 and used it for contacts with Duffey as well.  Longest
> was K7KMR west of Phoenix at 400.3 miles, CW with 50 watts on both
> ends.  I'll send a note for the web site posting for that one.  Worked
> all those guys on 222 and 144 as well.
>
> The new Elecraft amplifier was used on 6 meters and I ran it at about
> half power on digi modes.  That power setting was used to keep the
> temperatures down and avoid the high fan setting. It's a great legal
> limit phone amplifier but not up to the task on digi modes for 6
> meters.  It'll probably be OK on HF.
>
> I worked four rovers, the ones you mentioned as well as WA6BJH/r.
> Good to see that many in NM.  There was another briefly in the NW
> corner but I wasn't able to hear him.
>
> Good to hear K5RHR on.  Did you work him?  He asked to work on 1296 so
> I had a wire antenna and placed it just outside. We worked on 1/4 watt.
>
> All in all, pretty fun.
>
> 73 Bill W7QQ

Mike WB2FKO

Jay, too bad we didn't hear you on 222.  That would have been a nice one.  I'll see if I can fix the chat logout problem.  It's on my to-do list.  Mike

On 6/10/19 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
> Well done Mike,
>
> I finished with 229 Q points and 105 grids for 24,045 total.
>
> I had a good time and didn't take it too seriously.  It was a good
> opportunity to learn MSK144 and FT8 as I had nobody else around to do
> it.  Reflecting what Keith W9RM had to say and my experience with you,
> I may have some disconnects in my log:  I set the logbook reminder in
> WSJT  and logged a QSO anytime that popped up.  Some times that
> happened before completing the loaded messages, so I am confused as to
> what it takes to complete on FT8.  No problems on MSK144.  I didn't
> use any spotting service on digi; Ping Jockey or other and that gave
> me some periods when I saw you and others working when nobody answered
> my CQ.
>
> I was not able to get WSJT-x and N1MM to quit fighting over the radio
> interface so it was pretty uncomfortable to bail out of a  digi run to
> finish logging in N1MM.  Also did not have the 6 and 144+ computers
> networked and that became pretty cumbersome as well.  My fault.
>
> I put up a 432 yagi on a 20 foot pole because Keith wanted a Q but it
> was far more useful than that. I worked 5 stations in Phoenix as well
> as Keith on 432 and used it for contacts with Duffey as well.  Longest
> was K7KMR west of Phoenix at 400.3 miles, CW with 50 watts on both
> ends.  I'll send a note for the web site posting for that one.  Worked
> all those guys on 222 and 144 as well.
>
> The new Elecraft amplifier was used on 6 meters and I ran it at about
> half power on digi modes.  That power setting was used to keep the
> temperatures down and avoid the high fan setting. It's a great legal
> limit phone amplifier but not up to the task on digi modes for 6
> meters.  It'll probably be OK on HF.
>
> I worked four rovers, the ones you mentioned as well as WA6BJH/r.
> Good to see that many in NM.  There was another briefly in the NW
> corner but I wasn't able to hear him.
>
> Good to hear K5RHR on.  Did you work him?  He asked to work on 1296 so
> I had a wire antenna and placed it just outside. We worked on 1/4 watt.
>
> All in all, pretty fun.
>
> 73 Bill W7QQ

Jay

Once Bill "swung over" to us in 43/42 land, his signal actually dropped.  I think we were catching a serious reflection off something.
We are working on station upgrade here as well.
Always something to improve to stretch that input or output signal just a few more miles...

 -Jay

On 6/10/19 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
> Well done Mike,
>
> I finished with 229 Q points and 105 grids for 24,045 total.
>
> I had a good time and didn't take it too seriously.  It was a good
> opportunity to learn MSK144 and FT8 as I had nobody else around to do
> it.  Reflecting what Keith W9RM had to say and my experience with you,
> I may have some disconnects in my log:  I set the logbook reminder in
> WSJT  and logged a QSO anytime that popped up.  Some times that
> happened before completing the loaded messages, so I am confused as to
> what it takes to complete on FT8.  No problems on MSK144.  I didn't
> use any spotting service on digi; Ping Jockey or other and that gave
> me some periods when I saw you and others working when nobody answered
> my CQ.
>
> I was not able to get WSJT-x and N1MM to quit fighting over the radio
> interface so it was pretty uncomfortable to bail out of a  digi run to
> finish logging in N1MM.  Also did not have the 6 and 144+ computers
> networked and that became pretty cumbersome as well.  My fault.
>
> I put up a 432 yagi on a 20 foot pole because Keith wanted a Q but it
> was far more useful than that. I worked 5 stations in Phoenix as well
> as Keith on 432 and used it for contacts with Duffey as well.  Longest
> was K7KMR west of Phoenix at 400.3 miles, CW with 50 watts on both
> ends.  I'll send a note for the web site posting for that one.  Worked
> all those guys on 222 and 144 as well.
>
> The new Elecraft amplifier was used on 6 meters and I ran it at about
> half power on digi modes.  That power setting was used to keep the
> temperatures down and avoid the high fan setting. It's a great legal
> limit phone amplifier but not up to the task on digi modes for 6
> meters.  It'll probably be OK on HF.
>
> I worked four rovers, the ones you mentioned as well as WA6BJH/r.
> Good to see that many in NM.  There was another briefly in the NW
> corner but I wasn't able to hear him.
>
> Good to hear K5RHR on.  Did you work him?  He asked to work on 1296 so
> I had a wire antenna and placed it just outside. We worked on 1/4 watt.
>
> All in all, pretty fun.
>
> 73 Bill W7QQ

Keith Morehouse

JayAV, thanks for the chance to run with you on 2M.  Even with more-or-less equal distance between me and you and you and Bill/Mike, the terrain is vastly different. I recall how loud some of you AZ stations were when I had the chance to multi-op at Bills house in Santa Fe last year.  His shot west is exceptional.

Evidently, I just don't have the path or the antennas or the smoke to make it into the PHX area.

This morning, i worked W7D in DN11 on 2M at 500 miles.  It was an easy tropo-like contact on FT8 with signals in the mid to low minus teens.  Whatever does that, I wish it would do it to PHX during contest time :)

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.