Topics

New Mexico QSO Party -- Next Saturday!

Brian Mileshosky

Greetings —

The 2019 New Mexico QSO Party will help fill the HF and 6 meter bands next Saturday, April 13.

Will you and/or your amateur radio club be joining the fun with hams across New Mexico, the nation, and globe?

If so, please let us know which county/counties you’ll be operating from, whether for a couple hours or the entire event (even if tentative), so we can reflect it on the County Activation Plan list/map found on the NMQP website.

We are striving for all of New Mexico’s 33 counties to be on the air during the event, and hope you’ll help us achieve this goal again by joining in the fun.

Please see the announcement below and visit the New Mexico QSO Party website, at www.newmexicoqsoparty.org, for complete details.

73,
Brian N5ZGT

On Mar 12, 2019, at 9:10 PM, Brian Mileshosky <n5zgt@...> wrote:

Fellow New Mexico Hams --

The 2019 New Mexico QSO Party takes place Saturday, April 13 from 8:00am MDT until 8:00pm MDT, and all Hams across New Mexico are invited to participate.  Amateur radio operators from across the United States -- and the world -- will be seeking New Mexicans on HF and 6 meters during the event period, looking particularly to work hams in as many New Mexico counties as possible.  The Land of Enchantment will essentially be the "DX" on this day, making for a great time for all who participate.  Last year hundreds of amateur radio operators around the world participated, including 98 New Mexico hams and 18 New Mexico amateur radio clubs.

We are looking for hams within each and every one of New Mexico's 33 counties to participate in the 2019 New Mexico QSO Party, whether for just a few convenient hours or for the entire 12 hour period.

This is a super event for new and experienced hams alike. Operate from the comfort of your home, or combine forces with hams in your club as a club activity.  Invite a group of friends to your shack.  Hit the road as a mobile station and activate multiple counties which create much needed -- and appreciated -- point multipliers for everyone who participates in the QSO Party.  Use this event as an opportunity to introduce a neighbor or friend to ham radio.  Or rally friends and club members to set up, Field Day style, as part of the special expedition category.

ATTENTION HAM CLUBS: The New Mexico QSO Party is a superb club-building activity, and there are two special awards available just for clubs.  The first is a plaque that will be awarded to the New Mexico club with the highest aggregate score submitted by its members. Another plaque will be awarded to the New Mexico Club whose members activate the highest aggregate number of New Mexico counties around the state. It doesn't matter what operating category your members participate in, or for how long; each entrant just needs to clearly mark their club name in their individual logs and your club will be automatically entered. Complete details in the New Mexico QSO Party rules.

This year's event is hosted by the Valencia County Amateur Radio Association.  Great-looking plaques will be awarded and participation certificates will be available for those desiring one.  Complete details, rules, prize information, and more can be found on the New Mexico QSO Party website at www.NewMexicoQSOParty.org

Are you planning to get on the air and operate from your home shack, with friends, alongside your club at its club station, mobile, or portable?  Even if tentative at this point, please visit www.NewMexicoQSOParty.org and let us know what county (or counties) you plan to operate from so we can list you on the NM QSO Party website’s activation table and interactive map.  Our goal is to have as many hams as possible operating from all of New Mexico counties during the event.

Please help spread the word about the 2019 New Mexico QSO Party.  With your help we look forward to all 33 counties being activated this year.  See you on the air in about a month!

Thanks and 73,
Brian N5ZGT
New Mexico QSO Party website: www.NewMexicoQSOParty.org

Mike WB2FKO

Am I reading the rules correctly? It looks like a name plus a county, state, or country are required for the exchange.  If so, this is going to cause problems with FT8. A 13-character free-form message is possible, but unless the station on the other end figures out there is a NM QSO party there will likely be problems.  This time of year any 6m activity outside of local will be almost exclusively on 50.313 FT8.

Mike WB2FKO

On 4/7/19 9:47 PM, Brian Mileshosky wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike —

Yes, that is correct.  Name + County/State/Province/DX Entity.  Using the name within the exchange has been to do something a bit different, even a bit more personable to many, than the nearly always constant “59” or “5NN” that’s used in other events.

All of the logging software out there that supports NMQP is expecting the exchange format above.  We plan to look into how FT8 could fit into the event in the future.

73,
Brian N5ZGT

On Apr 9, 2019, at 9:46 PM, Mike WB2FKO <mph@...> wrote:

[...]

AE5B John

My take on this thread is that there is no need for me to waste my time looking west on 6 meters for my remaining WANMG grids on MSK144 or FT8 this coming weekend.

John  AE5B

EM02

--
West Texas Affiliated Club Coordinator
West Gulf Assistant Director

Ed

I also would like to voice my take on the exchange. It looks like it is only for voice and cw. No digital (ft8) allowed. I guess no need to waste time on 6 meter FT8 almost the only mode that works this time of the year on 6.

Ed N5JEH

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Bruce Draper

Do most of the people in nmvhfs have no capability for the HF bands? On 6 meters, ssb and cw won't work out to a few hundred miles in these condx? Would it have been good to include the 144 and 432 bands?

On Apr 10, 2019, at 12:18 PM, Ed <n5jeh@...> wrote:

[...]

<D6DC1ACAF950490BB76E02E11D5EDFD7.png>

Keith Morehouse

6M SSB most certainly WILL work very well within the state and four corners area and CW even better.  Ground wave and ionoscatter are good modes for a pair of well equipped stations. Unfortunately, just like most times when there ARE good conditions, it appears to be more popular to hang out on one 'channel' running slow digital rate 😉

I had suggested times for 6M activity during the QSO party but there was little to no follow up conversation.

I'll be watching for NM stations on 40M the first couple of contest hours and  also chasing Duffy around.

-W9RM

Keith Morehouse
via MotoG

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 2:42 PM Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael Daly

Ken, KG5IDN, and I will also be roving in his Cool Bus. Ken has improved his antennas substantially and we are looking to make many Q’s on 40 & 20.  Please keep your ears out for us.  No six meters this time.

73, Mike n5sj