Topics

New Mexico QSO Party -- Saturday, April 13

Brian Mileshosky

Fellow New Mexico Hams --

The 2019 New Mexico QSO Party takes place Saturday, April 13 from 8:00am MDT until 8:00pm MDT, and all Hams across New Mexico are invited to participate.  Amateur radio operators from across the United States -- and the world -- will be seeking New Mexicans on HF and 6 meters during the event period, looking particularly to work hams in as many New Mexico counties as possible.  The Land of Enchantment will essentially be the "DX" on this day, making for a great time for all who participate.  Last year hundreds of amateur radio operators around the world participated, including 98 New Mexico hams and 18 New Mexico amateur radio clubs.

We are looking for hams within each and every one of New Mexico's 33 counties to participate in the 2019 New Mexico QSO Party, whether for just a few convenient hours or for the entire 12 hour period.

This is a super event for new and experienced hams alike. Operate from the comfort of your home, or combine forces with hams in your club as a club activity.  Invite a group of friends to your shack.  Hit the road as a mobile station and activate multiple counties which create much needed -- and appreciated -- point multipliers for everyone who participates in the QSO Party.  Use this event as an opportunity to introduce a neighbor or friend to ham radio.  Or rally friends and club members to set up, Field Day style, as part of the special expedition category.

ATTENTION HAM CLUBS: The New Mexico QSO Party is a superb club-building activity, and there are two special awards available just for clubs.  The first is a plaque that will be awarded to the New Mexico club with the highest aggregate score submitted by its members. Another plaque will be awarded to the New Mexico Club whose members activate the highest aggregate number of New Mexico counties around the state. It doesn't matter what operating category your members participate in, or for how long; each entrant just needs to clearly mark their club name in their individual logs and your club will be automatically entered. Complete details in the New Mexico QSO Party rules.

This year's event is hosted by the Valencia County Amateur Radio Association.  Great-looking plaques will be awarded and participation certificates will be available for those desiring one.  Complete details, rules, prize information, and more can be found on the New Mexico QSO Party website at www.NewMexicoQSOParty.org

Are you planning to get on the air and operate from your home shack, with friends, alongside your club at its club station, mobile, or portable?  Even if tentative at this point, please visit www.NewMexicoQSOParty.org and let us know what county (or counties) you plan to operate from so we can list you on the NM QSO Party website’s activation table and interactive map.  Our goal is to have as many hams as possible operating from all of New Mexico counties during the event.

Please help spread the word about the 2019 New Mexico QSO Party.  With your help we look forward to all 33 counties being activated this year.  See you on the air in about a month!

Thanks and 73,
Brian N5ZGT
New Mexico QSO Party website: www.NewMexicoQSOParty.org

Keith Morehouse

Thanks for the info Brian.  I will try to participate on 6 and whichever HF bands I can get a signal out.

May I suggest that "we", aka the New Mexico VHF Society, organize a (or several) "activity hours" on 6M, using the QSO Party suggested frequencies of 50.095, 50.130 ?  Club activity hours have been shown to increase QSO counts on bands that might be overlooked as to difficult.  Maybe several hours after the contest has started, when activity has dropped ?  We could also have a specific activity period for FT8 operation, a mode with a proven record for the weak signal capability needed during ground wave and scatter operation.

I'll take the lead on this and propose TWO 6M activity periods.

Period 1 - 1600Z-1615Z (10:00-10:15 local) on 50.095 +/-  CW, then:
                 1615Z-1630Z (10:15-10:30 local) on 50.130 +/- SSB.

Period 2 - 1800Z-1830Z (12 noon to 12:30) on 50.313 FT8 - NM stations CQ FIRST sequence

Suggestions ?  Comments ?  Alternatives ?

-W9RM  -  NMVHF Society 'Subject Matter Expert', Contesting & Contest Logging

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.
Olathe, CO

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 9:10 PM Brian Mileshosky <n5zgt@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike WB2FKO

I will make a point of being on 6m for the FT8 period. Will stay longer depending on activity/conditions. Sorry, no HF here. Mike WB2FKO