Topics

I fixed my APRS

James Duffey

For those of you who missed my APRS spots in the January contest, I have found the problem and fixed it. I was accessing the APRS internet gateway on the wrong port. Thanks to Jim, KC7QY for pointing this out in the contest. Finding the problem was not easy, but trivial in the end. I am seriously thinking of going to an RF tracker.

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM

Bill

Rr Duffy,

It’ll help to have APRS going again.

Looks like the 10 thru 78 AZ microfest is back on. It’s 3-7 thru 3-9. Mostly focusing on 10 for pointing and 47 and 78 for DX experiments.

Bill W7QQ

On Mar 1, 2019, at 7:09 PM, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:

For those of you who missed my APRS spots in the January contest, I have found the problem and fixed it. I was accessing the APRS internet gateway on the wrong port. Thanks to Jim, KC7QY for pointing this out in the contest. Finding the problem was not easy, but trivial in the end. I am seriously thinking of going to an RF tracker.

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM

Keith Morehouse

Anybody know the current 78 GHz DX record ?
Are there two records at microwvar frequencies ? ?
Something like "Coastal" (..where ducting is common) and "Inland" ?

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.
Olathe, CO

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 7:23 PM Bill <bill4070@...> wrote:
Rr Duffy,

Looks like the 10 thru 78 AZ microfest is back on.  It’s 3-7 thru 3-9. Mostly focusing on 10 for pointing and 47 and 78 for DX experiments.

Bill W7QQ
> On Mar 1, 2019, at 7:09 PM, James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...> wrote:
>
> For those of you who missed my APRS spots in the January contest, I have found the problem and fixed it. I was accessing the APRS internet gateway on the wrong port. Thanks to Jim, KC7QY for pointing this out in the contest. Finding the problem was not easy, but trivial in the end. I am seriously thinking of going to an RF tracker.
>
> James Duffey KK6MC
> Cedar Crest NM
>
>
>

KC7QY

Records are kept by Ned Stearns AA7A.

Current listing is here: 

Propagation modes are tropospheric refraction and ducting (including line-of-sight paths), divided into in three categories: Tropo (A) (tropospheric modes across the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico); Tropo (C) (tropospheric modes across continental North America; Tropo (P) (tropospheric modes across the Pacific); Aurora (auroral scatter); Auroral E (auroral E); Sporadic E (sporadic E); FAI (E-layer field-aligned irregularities; IFS (ionospheric forward scatter); Meteors (meteor scatter); TE (transequatorial field-aligned irregularities); and Rain scatter (precipitation scatter).

Jim KC7QY

On Saturday, March 2, 2019, 7:44:32 AM MST, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.
Olathe, CO

Rr Duffy,

Looks like the 10 thru 78 AZ microfest is back on.  It’s 3-7 thru 3-9. Mostly focusing on 10 for pointing and 47 and 78 for DX experiments.

Bill W7QQ
>
> For those of you who missed my APRS spots in the January contest, I have found the problem and fixed it. I was accessing the APRS internet gateway on the wrong port. Thanks to Jim, KC7QY for pointing this out in the contest. Finding the problem was not easy, but trivial in the end. I am seriously thinking of going to an RF tracker.
>
> James Duffey KK6MC
> Cedar Crest NM
>
>
>

Doug Gilliam

Hi Duffy,

Glad to hear that.  Along with the new antenna stack, I am replacing the rotor with a Ham IV and a fully programmable controller, the DCU-3.  With software I will be able to enter your 6 digit grid square to rotate quickly to your azimuth. The APRS data will sure help.  I just received a 300W cell amp that I need to setup for 902. I also got a DEMI lna kit and 17el M2 beam.  Hopefully will be QRV on 902 by June.  The 222 and up stack replacement awaits assembly of all the yagis and for my wrist to heal a bit more,  but I expect that it will be up by early May. 

The biggest improvements for this contest will be a pair of 11WL 432 beams with anticipated 20 dbd gain, (lna at the power divider), and a 22 el/28ft boom 222 K1FO with mast mount lna.  With any luck I will also have the IC-9700 by then. DX Engineering has an estimated ship date of 5/29. Not gonna hold my breath.

I should be fully retired in about 2 weeks after 39 years of practicing dentistry.  Looking forward to becoming a full time grandpa/ham/landscaper/carpenter, etc.  Not sure if I will grow a ponytail and beard...

73s Doug WA7XX

From: nmvhf@groups.io <nmvhf@groups.io> on behalf of James Duffey <JamesDuffey@...>
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 6:09 PM
To: nmvhf@groups.io
Subject: [nmvhf] I fixed my APRS

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM

James Duffey

Here are the records above 144MHz, broken out by propagation mode:

All of the 78GHz (75GHz in the table) are listed as “line of sight”. 

The 10GHz records are broken out by call area, which reflects your concern about geographical differences in propagation, although truth be known, the 10GHz propagation on the east side of the 5th call area is very different than that on the west side, as is the propagation in the 0th call area is much different from MN to CO.

NM VHF/UHF/microwave records can be found on the NMVHF.org site.

I hope that this helps. - Duffey KK6MC

On Mar 2, 2019, at 07:43, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.
Olathe, CO

Rr Duffy,

Bill W7QQ
>
>
> James Duffey KK6MC
> Cedar Crest NM
>
>
>

Bill

Keith,

Just one record category. I think it’s 302 km.

78 has issues with low legal power. Many stations exceed legal limits..... so there are legal records and illegal “records”. Experiments are often done with illegal power, then antenna gain is improved and a retry with legal power is redone on a good day (low dew point). We will be experimenting.

I’m along to learn and support and determine pointing with 10 GHz.

Bill

On Mar 2, 2019, at 7:43 AM, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.
Olathe, CO

Rr Duffy,

Bill W7QQ
>
>
> James Duffey KK6MC
> Cedar Crest NM
>
>
>

Keith Morehouse

Wait...'illegal' power at 78 GHz ??  There's a power or ERP limit on these bands ?  Is someone concerned with RF exposure limits or is this a shared band and there is a limit due to potential interference ?

I know there is autonomous vehicle systems work going on around there somewhere - is that the concern ?

I can't imagine it's possible to build devices with Po greater then maybe +25 to +30 dBm (if even that high) at 78 GHz.

-W9RM

Keith Morehouse
via MotoG

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 12:36 PM Bill <bill4070@...> wrote:
Keith,

Just one record category. I think it’s 302 km.

78 has issues with low legal power. Many stations exceed legal limits..... so there are legal records and illegal “records”. Experiments are often done with illegal power, then antenna gain is improved and a retry with legal power is redone on a good day (low dew point). We will be experimenting.

I’m along to learn and support and determine pointing with 10 GHz.

Bill

On Mar 2, 2019, at 7:43 AM, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@...> wrote:

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.
Olathe, CO

Rr Duffy,

Bill W7QQ
>
>
> James Duffey KK6MC
> Cedar Crest NM
>
>
>