Re: Ukrainian 222 Transverter Progress

Bill

Hi Jon,

1:00 PM today sounds fine unless the lightning kicks up again from this weather system.  I'll look for you on 222.150.  Nice to see that you're on 222. It's a great band.

73 Bill W7QQ

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 8:04 AM Jonathan Fox <w0amt@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

How does 1:00 pm Saturday sound?

222.100?

73, W0AMT

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 9:35 PM Bill <bill4070@...> wrote:
Jon,

I’ll  be around this weekend. Set a date time and let me know. We’ll give it a try.

Bill W7QQ

On Aug 31, 2018, at 8:36 PM, Jonathan Fox <w0amt@...> wrote:

I finished the 222 transverter kit this past week and did some initial setup. Per the article on the NMVHF website by W7QQ and KK6MC I checked the gate bias and found it at 2.5 volts. I adjusted it up to 3.1. I did not have an opportunity to get an on-air report of the IMD improvement.

This past Wednesday I was able to make contact with NK5W on 222.110. However, I had some frequency stability issues. At first I was low by 2 MHz, after transmitting a few times I found I was  5 Mhz high. After ending the qso I went back to the assembly instructions and found that I had missed a detail. There are two mounting holes on the transverter board in addition to the mounting hole for the MOSFET. The instructions say to only use the #1 hole as using the #2 hole can cause oscillations. I missed that the first time. I am still using the #2 hole. I insulated the PC board from the metal mounting screw with a nylon washer.

I am hoping this change will improve my frequency stability issues. If not I will remove it completely and see what that does.

The WA5VJB 4 element cheap yagi I built for an antenna worked great for the QSO I had.

Is anyone available for a 222 qso this weekend? I would like to do another on-air check of the transverter.

73, Jon
W0AMT