WWV, WWVH,, and WWVB threatened with closure under 2019 NIST budget

James Duffey

For many of us, one of our first exposures to ham radio was listening to WWV. Many of us still use it as a propagation indicator, a simple frequency standard, an introduction to others of the usefulness of radio, and yes, even to set our watches. This utility is now threatened. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)’s budget is severely reduced in the presidential budget for 2019 and the core measurement science group, which among other duties, runs WWV, WWVH, and WWVB, has born a significant amount of that cut. To deal with the cuts, in part NIST has proposed eliminating the NIST run radio stations, to a savings of $6.3M.

< https://www.nist.gov/director/fy-2019-presidential-budget-request-summary/fundamental-measurement-quantum-science-and >

This is an e-mail about radio, not politics, but occasionally the two overlap. If you want to see the continuation of the NIST time and frequency standard radio stations, write a postcard to your national elected representative telling them that as well as a post card to NIST telling them that you are concerned about their course of action. If not, ignore this post.

Thanks for reading this and if you feel like deleting it, go ahead. - Duffey KK6MC

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM