Re: NMVHF Club Callsign W5UHF June Results

James Duffey

Congrats to KG5FHU, WB2FKO, W9RM, and W7QQ for putting the NMVHF Society call on the air for the June Contest and making a good showing of it despite poor conditions.

Running a multi-multi operation is never easy and putting six bands on the air at a single time is never easy. Bill did a good job of this.  Perhaps it was the conditions, but as a rover, I had no problems with passing W5UHF, including to 6M, which could be a problem with the heavy concentration on 6M digital modes. I think all the ops felt comfortable and supported by Bill.

The only problems evident from my rover perspective were the 1296 amp kicking out on CW and the lack of 902 at my first stop.

Putting in time, or butt in chair time, is critical to any contesting effort, and is very difficult in VHF contests. Hats off to Mike and Olivia for putting in the time on Meteor Scatter overnight to help with mults.  That is a tough shift, but pays off as even a few mults on any band multiply QSO points on others.

And W9RM brought his multi op VHF experience from the midwest and is probably responsible for the 6M station doing as well as it did. It is wonderful for Keith to share his experiences with us.

And, I suspect that Reita deserves more than a hearty thanks for putting up with it all, graciously.

All, thanks for the effort. Twenty percent of my contacts were with W5UHF, and given the 902 and 1296 QSOes more than that fraction of my score. I know that many in NM have W5UHF in their log on all the bands they have. That is worth a lot.  Again thanks. - Duffey KK6MC

James Duffey KK6MC
Cedar Crest NM

On Jun 13, 2018, at 19:08, Bill <bill4070@...> wrote:

Hi VHF'rs,

Thought you might be interested in the results of the Multi-multi June contest effort for W5UHF Club Callsign of the New Mexico VHF Society. So here's the final talley.

  Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q
    50  CW       8       8    2   1.0
    50  FT8     40      40   23   1.0
    50  MSK1    24      24   19   1.0
    50  USB    195     195   75   1.0
   144  MSK1     4       4    3   1.0
   144  USB     31      31   15   1.0
   222  FM       1       2    1   2.0
   222  USB      9      18    6   2.0
   420  CW       3       6    2   2.0
   420  USB     15      30    8   2.0
   902  USB      2       6    2   3.0
  1240  USB      6      18    5   3.0
 Total  Both   338     382  161   1.1
Score: 61,502
1 Mult = 2.1 Q's

This was a pretty good effort considering the propagation gods took a pass on New Mexico for the most part.  Thanks to all who participated.

73 Bill W7QQ