Topics

Yaesu FT-991A and Fldigi

Ron

I'm helping a fellow Ham with setting up his Yaesu FT-991A to use with Fldigi. I'm spoiled with my Kenwood TS-590S which was so easy to set up.

Can a FT-991A user send me the radio menu setup for using the internal USB codec sound device. I've seen suggestions about using the USB serial emulator for PTT but I would think it would be easier to use data VOX for PTT. Also I'm confused if you need USB-Data for HF and what you would use for FM.

Then I'm guessing in Fldigi you need the USB Codec set for both capture and playback. Also, I'm guessing for DATA VOX you do not need any serial port PTT checked. Also do any selections in Right channel need to be selected.

73, Ron NY3J

W. T. Jones

Ron,

Here are my settings...

Menu

4 Home Function - Function

12 Keyer Type Off

27 Time Zone -5:00

28 GPS/232C Select RS232C

29 232C Rate 38400bps

31 Cat Rate 38400bps

33 Cat RTS Disable

37 Mic Scan Disable

64 Other Disp (SSB) 0

65 Other Shift (SSB) 0

66 Data LCUT Freq Off

68 Data HCUT Freq Off (may not be needed)

72 Data Port Select USB

74 FM MIC Select Rear (change for microphone)

77 FM Packet Port Select USB

106 SSB Mic Select Rear

108 SSB PTT Select DAKY

109 SSB Port Select USB

115 SCP Display Mode Spectrum

141 Tuner Select Off

143 Vox Gain 10

144 Vox Delay 100msec

RF Power 100

Mic Gain 27

Width 2800

DT Gain 11

Some may not be needed and the menu numbers are from the FT-991 but they work for the FT-991A as well. I use them at the EOC.

Regards,

WT
Real heroes do not wear capes. They wear dog tags, turnout gear, and badges!

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 9:53 AM Ron via Groups.Io <rwenig=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I'm helping a fellow Ham with setting up his Yaesu FT-991A to use with
Fldigi. I'm spoiled with my Kenwood TS-590S which was so easy to set up.

Can a FT-991A user send me the radio menu setup for using the internal
USB codec sound device. I've seen suggestions about using the USB serial
emulator for PTT but I would think it would be easier to use data VOX
for PTT. Also I'm confused if you need USB-Data for HF and what you
would use for FM.

Then I'm guessing in Fldigi you need the USB Codec set for both capture
and playback. Also, I'm guessing for DATA VOX you do not need any serial
port PTT checked. Also do any selections in Right channel need to be
selected.

73, Ron NY3J

Ron

Thanks WT. I'll print this out and take over to try it.

Ron NY3J

On 7/6/19 9:57 AM, W. T. Jones wrote:
[...]

Remember the FT-991 has menu settings and functions. To change the Digital Gain you need to use the F button and look for DT Gain. Same for bandwidth.
Its a menu driven radio. Works faster when controlled by Flrig.

Have a good weekend!

On 7/6/19 9:57 AM, W. T. Jones wrote:
[...]

Poul K

Feel free to use my FT-991 - fldigi - etc configs here:https://radio.pk2.se/
I use only an USB cable between radio and laptop.
73

Ron

Thanks Poul. I've noticed some people use PTT VOX and some use a COM port. On my Kenwood TS-590S I use VOX PTT built into the USB Audio Codec and it seems to work very reliable. Also, there seems to be a difference in the menu numbers between the Yaesu FT-991 and the FT-991A. Kenwood did the same thing with the TS-590S and the TS-590SG.

73, Ron NY3J

Curly Frazier <w7lpn.ham@...>

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019, 07:53 Ron via Groups.Io <rwenig=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I'm helping a fellow Ham with setting up his Yaesu FT-991A to use with
Fldigi. I'm spoiled with my Kenwood TS-590S which was so easy to set up.

Can a FT-991A user send me the radio menu setup for using the internal
USB codec sound device. I've seen suggestions about using the USB serial
emulator for PTT but I would think it would be easier to use data VOX
for PTT. Also I'm confused if you need USB-Data for HF and what you
would use for FM.

Then I'm guessing in Fldigi you need the USB Codec set for both capture
and playback. Also, I'm guessing for DATA VOX you do not need any serial
port PTT checked. Also do any selections in Right channel need to be
selected.

73, Ron NY3J

Ron

Thanks Curly,

So I guess the consensus is to use CAT PTT and not DATA VOX on the Yaesu FT-991A.

I wonder, on my Kenwood TS-590S, if I should also use CAT PTT. Is there any difference in the operation.

73, Ron NY3J

On 7/7/19 10:00 AM, Curly Frazier wrote:

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019, 07:53 Ron via Groups.Io <rwenig=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I'm helping a fellow Ham with setting up his Yaesu FT-991A to use with
Fldigi. I'm spoiled with my Kenwood TS-590S which was so easy to set up.

Can a FT-991A user send me the radio menu setup for using the internal
USB codec sound device. I've seen suggestions about using the USB serial
emulator for PTT but I would think it would be easier to use data VOX
for PTT. Also I'm confused if you need USB-Data for HF and what you
would use for FM.

Then I'm guessing in Fldigi you need the USB Codec set for both capture
and playback. Also, I'm guessing for DATA VOX you do not need any serial
port PTT checked. Also do any selections in Right channel need to be
selected.

73, Ron NY3J

art upton

Edited

On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 10:09 AM, Ron wrote:
my Kenwood TS-590S, if I should also use CAT PTT. Is there any difference in the operat
it depends on the mode and if its a quick turnover ARQ mode RTS or PTT "might be"  needed on my  991a and 891 to make it work all the time instead of mostly with VOX and playing with the delay settings.

I use FLRIG in Fldigi and configure FLrig to drive the radio. and I use Data mode , not Upper SideBand. I change data mode to others in the menu the others display offset to zero so that 1000 on the water fall is 1000 and not 2000. You may have to change others shift to15000 to get all 3000hz on the water fall.

I also set the RTS line for PTT for a few programs that wont work with FLRIG and use them at the same time. I specify the "standard" second serial port that exists and they work side by side programs setup for CAT via FLRIG.

I only use VOX on FM, as its not a data mode I also have to set MIC to rear. If anyone has a way to do 2 meter FM in FLdigi on a 991 without Vox let me know.
Art