Topics

Yaesu FT-991 and FSQ

W. T. Jones

Any one using a Yaesu FT-991 with Fldigi for FSQ.

When using the FT-991 the audio level pegs at the top and won't let the squelch open.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

WT
Real heroes do not wear capes. They wear dog tags, turnout gear, and badges!

Mike <cavebirth@...>

Edited

I found this forum while searching about what I believe is the same issue (rig is IC-756Pro), but it also happens when the rig is off and there's no audio coming in, where the audio level (green bar) is always at full.

Today i compiled fldigi 4.0.18 from source to see if it still happens as it did with the version in the ubuntu package source, and it still does. Attaching a screenshot that shows what i see after switching on the rig and enabling the FSQ monitor. Notice the signal level is always all the way up, regardless of whether the audio input level is on or not, and so I can't enable the squelch at all.

To note, in any other mode i try the level is reflective of what is expected from the rig and the squelch works fine, but this only seems to happen in FSQ that I'm aware of.

I've also looked at the help file and found a white paper on using this modem but not seeing any answers.

Is there a setting I need to check for this?

Thanks so much and 73, let me know if i can provide any further details or try a suggestion.

Mike N8VWY

Dave

Throttle the audio hose ...  your drowning the application.  Everything on your screen shot says too much audio

Both signal indicators at max.
Diamond to the left of the AFC button is RED.

What OS are you on?

73, David, W1HKJ

Mike <cavebirth@...>

Edited

Hi Dave, great to talk with you.

I'm running Kubuntu 18.04 x64, and Pulse is handling the audio. I hadn't caught the red diamond after messing with the input earlier, so ended up finding 24% on the pulse slider is the happy green spot (attached). Took it all the way down and it goes black naturally, then found the green spot from there.

Looks like it still shows full for FSQ though -

I only had a few minutes to check it out but later on i can try to find a sweet spot somewhere in { black < x < green } if that's the right answer.

I am used to the alsamixer sliders for digi stuff, and i can also try tuning those - I notice with pulse in the middle the alsamixer doesn't seem to have a linear effect on what eventually happens, so it may just take some tinkerizing, as I realize FSQ is a different animal than other modes.

Thanks for the reply! I'll report back once i get to take a few more swings at this.

Dave

I do not recommend mixing pulse and alsa mixers.  Use the pavucontrol for pulseaudio mixer and audio stream virtualization.

Also, it is not usual to call CQ using FSQ.  Set up a beacon, or simply transmit an empty (no text, ENTER) frame.

http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/fsq_page.html

Dave

On 09/04/2018 12:24 PM, Mike wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Dave. I was just trying to invoke a transmit as part of testing with dummy load, so we will bone up on the protocol once i get the interface looking good.

As for alsamixer vs pavucontrol, should i just keep the alsamixer ones at full or zero (as appropriate) and then trim using pavucontrol, or just ignore alsamixer altogether?

This is the only app for which i use pulse so bit of a learning curve here

W. T. Jones

OK Just to chime in here.

I have pavucontrol up and running. I set the record audio for audio codec at 80%. The Diamond is black and the sound level indicator is pegged. No Squelch opening. For a test II drove the audio level to 0 in pavucontrol, the waterfall started to fall away to black. The audio level to Fldigi stays pegged at the top. Never varies. And the diamond is always black.

If I use the signalink everything works as advertised. No problems. With the FT-991 internal sound card, problems.

OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Under the FWIW column - I don't remember using FSQ when I was at Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. So I am grasping at straws here.

Screenshot from 2018-09-04 14-44-08.png

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 2:10 PM Mike <cavebirth@...> wrote:

Thanks, Dave. I was just trying to invoke a transmit as part of testing with dummy load, so we will bone up on the protocol once i get the interface looking good.

As for alsamixer vs pavucontrol, should i just keep the alsamixer ones at full or zero (as appropriate) and then trim using pavucontrol, or just ignore alsamixer altogether?

This is the only app for which i use pulse so bit of a learning curve here

Ron

Hi WT,

I just wanted to report that I don't see that problem on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS here with FSQ.  Rig is a Kenwood TS-590S and I'm using Pulse Audio.  I've been hearing bits and pieces of problems with 18.04 so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

73, Ron NY3J

On 09/04/2018 02:54 PM, W. T. Jones wrote:
[...]

Looks like the green zone with the pavucontrol input is around 11-14%, that's with the capture slider all the way up, or else with capture at 50% then it's a wider range naturally.

But even with it turned down completely black it's showing as full signal on the green bars there.

~$ pulseaudio --version

pulseaudio 11.1

~$ dpkg -l pulseaudio

||/ Name                         Version           Architecture      Description

+++-===============================-====================-====================-===================================================================

ii  pulseaudio                   1:11.1-1ubuntu7.1 amd64             PulseAudio sound server

Mike <cavebirth@...>

Just for grins I just tried all this on Windows and FSQ works as expected with my rig and interface, so really looking like ubuntu 18.04 is the oddball platform for whatever reason :/

W. T. Jones

Thanks Ron and Al...

Yes I am beginning to believe this is an 18.04 issue as well. I fired up a windows 10 in VB and it worked with the direct connection to the USB device.

Going to start up a real copy of Windows 10 to test it properly.

Another nutty 18.04 issue is that when doing an Alt-Tab to work through programs Flmsg shows us Fllog in the banner listing the active programs.

I hope that 18.04 is not going to end up being a problem child.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM Mike <cavebirth@...> wrote:
Just for grins I just tried all this on Windows and FSQ works as expected with my rig and interface, so really looking like ubuntu 18.04 is the oddball platform for whatever reason :/

Marty Hartwell

Is there a way one can go back to 16.04 if you have
performed an upgrade to 18.04? Rather than reloading
from a CD/DVD.

Marty kd8bj

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM Mike <@N8VWY <mailto:@N8VWY>> wrote:
Just for grins I just tried all this on Windows and FSQ works as
expected with my rig and interface, so really looking like ubuntu
18.04 is the oddball platform for whatever reason :/

Dave

Does the login user have access privileges to the hardware ?

David

[...]

I should have group rw,

/dev/snd$ ls -al

total 0

drwxr-xr-x   3 root root      280 Sep  5 08:00 .

drwxr-xr-x  19 root root     4060 Sep  5 08:00 ..

drwxr-xr-x   2 root root       80 Sep  5 08:00 by-path

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  2 Sep  5 08:00 controlC0

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  5 Sep  5 08:00 controlC1

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  4 Sep  5 08:00 hwC0D0

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116, 10 Sep  5 08:00 hwC1D0

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  3 Sep  5 08:01 pcmC0D3p

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  7 Sep  5 08:01 pcmC1D0c

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  6 Sep  5 08:01 pcmC1D0p

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  8 Sep  5 08:01 pcmC1D1p

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  9 Sep  5 08:00 pcmC1D2c

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116,  1 Sep  5 08:00 seq

crw-rw----+  1 root audio 116, 33 Sep  5 08:00 timer

/dev/snd$ groups

adm dialout cdrom sudo audio dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

N3FMO

I had so much trouble with FLDIGI after I upgraded to Windows 10 that I reverted back to 7!

Harry