Topics

Why Flrig?

KG7D Greg

My question is why do you use Flrig? What features does it have that you use that RigCat doesn't? I'm using an Icom IC-7100 and for the last few years I've had no problems using RigCat, and found no features that were missing with Fldigi, FLamp, Flmsg. I'm not trying to start a debate rather its needed or not. Just wanting to know what I might be missing.

Going back to the Fast Light part of the name, I'm a believer that less is usually more.

Greg - KG7D

Harry Bloomberg

Three reasons I use Flrig:
  1. Easier to interface to a radio than Fldigi.  With Flrig you don't need to download and install XML files, everything's built right in.
  2. Simplifies interfacing to Fldigi and WSJT-X.  Both of those programs will use Flrig as your "radio", so if you change rigs, you only need to change in Flrig and nowhere else.
  3. Ease of remote operating.  This is the most important for me.  Most of my operating is done remotely by logging onto my Raspberry Pi.   Flrig allows me to easily control my radio's major controls.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 12:38 PM KG7D Greg via Groups.Io <big_blue_scout=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My question is why do you use Flrig? What features does it have that you use that RigCat doesn't? I'm using an Icom IC-7100 and for the last few years I've had no problems using RigCat, and found no features that were missing with Fldigi, FLamp, Flmsg. I'm not trying to start a debate rather its needed or not. Just wanting to know what I might be missing.

Going back to the Fast Light part of the name, I'm a believer that less is usually more.

Greg - KG7D

Pat

i also use flrig.. and have more controls for the radio.
rf gain, af gain, NB, etc
I can run two digi programs at the sam time.
WSJT and FLDIGI with flrig.
Murf
n7uvh

Ralph Alden Brigham

Greetings,

I also have an IC-7100 - but flrig will not, repeat will not work with my rig
at all. But rigCAT works just fine.

-- ***** ---
Ralph Brigham KG4CSQ -- EM64RQ2OOQ
W5YI VE 33080; ARRL VE
ARRL #1000033463
ARES/RACES SKYWARN
(931) 906-9277
-- ****

NU3Q

On Jan 13, 2020, at 5:56 PM, Ralph Alden Brigham <ralph.alden.brigham@...> wrote:

    Greetings,

   I also have an IC-7100 - but flrig will not, repeat will not work with my rig
at all.  But rigCAT works just fine.

-- ***** ---
Ralph Brigham KG4CSQ -- EM64RQ2OOQ
W5YI VE  33080;  ARRL VE
ARRL #1000033463
ARES/RACES SKYWARN
(931) 906-9277
-- ****

Paul W1PJS

How does one interface WSJT-X with Flrig? I cant see a way to do that (at least not an obvious way)

73,

Paul Silverzweig, W1PJS

--
Paul, W1PJS
RI SEC

BruceN

I don't necessarily use Flrig for two reasons: 1.  It does NOT contain all the commands needed for all radios.  If the radio isn't "built in", you have to use a substitute rig and hope it doesn't have a command that messes up your radio.  True, too, for home built rigs where you may run custom rig controls.  2.  I quit using Flrig when it kept erasing my saved memory locations.  NOT in the radio itself.  But if I built a list of memories in the program then exited FLrig, that list disappeared and I'd have to create it again.  A PITA.  Other than that, it can be a handy program.

BruceN, K4TQL

Jim

Once you have Flrig running you can launch WSJT-x and select Flrig from the radio list. You’ll then need to tell WSJT-x where Flrig is on your network (use the loopback address, on my Linux box that 127.0.0.1:12345) .. test your CAT, test your PTT.. and you’re off to the races.

Why use Flrig in this scenario? Flrig allows you to have share control of the radio (and potentially your rotor) with multiple applications. It streamlines your entire configuration and control environment.

On Jan 14, 2020, at 00:49, Paul W1PJS <@w1pjs> wrote:

How does one interface WSJT-X with Flrig? I cant see a way to do that (at least not an obvious way)

73,

Paul Silverzweig, W1PJS

--
Paul, W1PJS
RI SEC
Red Cross Disaster Tech Manager
AF MARS
FEMA ComL

KG7D Greg

Edited

Thank you all for your input.
It definitely got much simpler to integrate software once everyone started including an option to connect by IP address (Loop back I think its called in this case).

Greg - KG7D

Ralph Alden Brigham

I just realized the problem - I do NOT know how to set up a TCPIP connection.  Please explain.

Dave

Please describe how you are trying to use flrig?  Some possibilites:

  1. Stand alone
  2. With fldigi on same computer
  3. With fldigi on a separate computer over LAN
  4. With fldigi ona  separate computer over WAN
  5. With a 3rd party software application

73, David, W1HKJ

On 1/23/20 6:40 AM, Ralph Alden Brigham wrote:
I just realized the problem - I do NOT know how to set up a TCPIP connection.  Please explain.

Ralph Alden Brigham

Dave,

Situation 2 and general usage for other programs that use TCPIP
communications rather than comports.

Thank you.