Topics

Which sound device should I use with fldigi?

George

My Lenovo T400 think pad laptop offers the following options:

1.  Capture
MME devices a.)  Microsoft Sound mapper – input  b.)microphone (Realtec High Def Audio)

Windows Direct Sound devices a.)Primary sound capture drivers  b.) Microphone (Realtec High Def Audio)

2.  Playback
MME devices  a.)  Microsoft Sound Mapper – output  b.) Speakers (Realtek High Def)

Windows Direct Sound devices    a.)Primary Sound Drivers  b.)Speakers (Realtek High Def Audio)

Can someone please tell me which ones to use for rig CAT control?  I really don't understand why so the laptop needs so many sound devices! HI

73, George, K4EOR

Larry Levesque

CAT control is over USB or Serial lines not sound cards.

The sound card would be what you ass the audio out of fldigi to in order for it to mudlate the signal.

--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

Larry Levesque

Forgot a "p" in there somewhere - sorry about that.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 01:34:43PM -0500, Larry Levesque wrote:
[...]

David Ranch

I'd recommend NONE of the above.  Don't use the internal sound card with your laptop as you'll have issues with "Windows" sounds playing over the airwaves.  You can easily add another sound device to your computer:

   $6.20
   https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter-Windows-Microphone-SD-CM-UAUD/dp/B001MSS6CS

There are lots of quality sound devices for use with Fldigi that will make things more reliable, simple, etc.

   above Syba soundcard and an EasyDigi isolation kit: +$10
   Inexpensive USB soundcard solutions w/o isolation: xggcomms (for example): $60
   Signalink w/ isolation and cable: $105
   Rigblaster Advantage - $200
   Timewave Navigator - $375

   and there are MANY other examples out there.  All depends on your budget, needs, wants

If you *must* use the laptop's internal sound device, you'll want to use the "b" option for both the capture and playback as you listed in your original email.

For CAT control, none of those are data ports.. you've only listed audio devices.  What radio do you have?  From there, the group can recommend options.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 11/10/2018 09:57 AM, George wrote:
My Lenovo T400 think pad laptop offers the following options:

1.  Capture
MME devices a.)  Microsoft Sound mapper – input  b.)microphone (Realtec High Def Audio)

Windows Direct Sound devices a.)Primary sound capture drivers  b.) Microphone (Realtec High Def Audio)

2.  Playback
MME devices  a.)  Microsoft Sound Mapper – output  b.) Speakers (Realtek High Def)

Windows Direct Sound devices    a.)Primary Sound Drivers  b.)Speakers (Realtek High Def Audio)

Can someone please tell me which ones to use for rig CAT control?  I really don't understand why so the laptop needs so many sound devices! HI

73, George, K4EOR

Marvin Penepent

Your radio needs a cat and a sound card. The cat is a USB-B or a DB9. If you are not using a newer radio you your will need a Signalink. Its one Cable into the back of the radio and one cable(USB) in to your computer. The Signalink will show up as a CODEC.

Larrry
KF5MLP

[...]

k4pwo

Sound devices don’t do CAT control.  CAT (Computer Aided Transceiver) control is a serial protocol supported by some rigs. Principle devices for CAT control are RS-232 serial ports, CI-V ports, or USB ports.  Depending on your radio and laptop it may just be a cable or you may need additional hardware.

Perry K4PWO