Topics

Weather Form

As requested, Sleet and Graupel added to Current Conditions report.  Freezing Rain presumed by Rain and surface Temperature, commented on in the Notes as would be Ice or Sleet accumulation.

Lat and Long place holder replaced with symbols as in Grid Square.  Note the ° symbol in the Lat and Long field entered by holding the Alt key down and pressing 2, 4, and 8 on the numeric keypad before releasing the Alt key.

Unzip the attached file and copy the .html file to your ∙∙∙NBEMS.files/CUSTOM folder to use.

Happy New Year

John, W6FQX

David Aitcheson KB3EFS <kb3efs.dave@...>

All of the energy is being wasted on REINVENTING a form that is ALREADY part of the FLMSG section of the FLDIGI Suite is just that; wasted energy.

Open FLMSG then select FORM followed by selecting the last line that is WEATHER and select the appropriate weather form for the situation.

The NWS accepts what is in FLMSG.

In my opinion win-link (and associated forms) is (are) junk.

I'll use the preloaded forms and forgo any "Custom" form that is not approved by certain agencies.

Dave, KB3EFS

On 1/1/20 10:49 PM, John Lemmer W6FQX wrote:
As requested, Sleet and Graupel added to Current Conditions report.  Freezing Rain presumed by Rain and surface Temperature, commented on in the Notes as would be Ice or Sleet accumulation.

Lat and Long place holder replaced with symbols as in Grid Square.  Note the ° symbol in the Lat and Long field entered by holding the Alt key down and pressing 2, 4, and 8 on the numeric keypad before releasing the Alt key.

Unzip the attached file and copy the .html file to your ∙∙∙NBEMS.files/CUSTOM folder to use.

Happy New Year

John, W6FQX

Larry Levesque

I think you are forgetting the fact that the built in form is not accessible from the simple UI ( think non ham) and also the fact that this is listed as local weather form.

Maybe it never gets passed onto NWS and has a much simpler format to enter the info in especially for the weather reporting beginner .

Finally, this is a custom html form and as such no one has to use it.

We are simply using this list as a means to help out others wishing to create  custom forms for their specific use.

--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

Al Massaro

I have presented the original 'junk' WinLink form to the local NWS office and received their full enthusiastic support for it.
AL M
KF5SMH

Harry Bloomberg

Please don't call another mode "junk" in a public forum.  I'm no fan of Winlink either, but name calling is disrespectful.  It just leads to endless arguments that solve nothing.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

On Jan 2, 2020, at 1:40 AM, David Aitcheson KB3EFS <kb3efs.dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Harry, just to be clear on my part, I am a staunch supporter of FLDIGI and WinLink, I was merely quoting what had been previously stated and attempting to show my disdain for the comment.
AL M
KF5SMH

KB3YCK

At the risk of creating confusion or further unwanted discourse:

o. The weather forms are for trained spotters, which seems to make sense the are not included in the simple UI — as noted for non-Hams.

o regardless of transmission method, multiple similar forms with differing elements can create issues with consistency at the receiving side (think served agency).

o. Forms should be for the recipient, based on recipient needs and expectations—with a goal of understandability for the sender.

o. ARES/RACES is expected to deliver messages as received to the best of our ability.  If we start with flmsg format, it should flow, through ALL relay stations, as originally received.

So this raises the question about why to spend time making a Winlink form into Flmsg format, or vice versa—beyond taking the best of both and making a single format that meets the needs of NWS and related weather “consumer” served agencies.

——-

Language/wording aside, I think this was really what the much earlier comment was really meant to convey.

We should always try to keep our discussions civil to avoid taking  a useful “conversation” in a potentially less desirable direction.

——

If non-hams are capturing/sending weather reports:  perhaps a feature enhancement to permit configuring which forms are (or are not) available via the simple UI mode.

This might provide some additional flexibility.

Regards,

David Flad. /. KB3YCK
Emergency Coordinator
Chester County ARES/RACES

On Jan 2, 2020, at 05:41, Larry Levesque <ka1vgm@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Jones

Well said, David. Thank you.
De KA5Z

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020, 12:08 david flad <kb3yck@...> wrote:
[...]

Jack Dellinger

Being one of the older guys I somehow deleted the email with the weather form attached. Would someone please send the form again.
Jack KC3JD