Topics

Weather Form

Ron

Hi All,

During storms in the area we sometimes send out the Storm Report and Severe WX forms to report conditions. I noticed that Winlink has just a plain Weather Report form. I was wondering if anyone created a custom form to just report things like the temperature, wind, humidity etc.

The custom form process in Flmsg is a nice feature. I just can't get my HTML skills up enough to design a nice looking form.

73, Ron NY3J

Michael WA7SKG

FWIW, some agencies are gong with a standard METAR format, like NOAA uses for airport weather. It's a quick code format that includes wind speed and direction, current temperature, visibility, cloud conditions, barometric pressure, etc.

Michael WA7SKG

Ron via Groups.Io wrote on 12/3/19 12:38 PM:

Hi All,
During storms in the area we sometimes send out the Storm Report and Severe WX forms to report conditions. I noticed that Winlink has just a plain Weather Report form. I was wondering if anyone created a custom form to just report things like the temperature, wind, humidity etc.
The custom form process in Flmsg is a nice feature. I just can't get my HTML skills up enough to design a nice looking form.
73, Ron NY3J

Ron

Thanks Michael,

That's what I was thinking. I usually use the WX macro and have the METAR data pop up. Then copy and paste to an Flmsg. I thought it would be cool to have a custom form to enter that information from the macro or if someone had a weather station at their QTH then use that data.

73, Ron NY3J

On 12/3/2019 9:05 PM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
FWIW, some agencies are gong with a standard METAR format, like NOAA uses for airport weather. It's a quick code format that includes wind speed and direction, current temperature, visibility, cloud conditions, barometric pressure, etc.

Michael WA7SKG

Ron via Groups.Io wrote on 12/3/19 12:38 PM:
Hi All,

During storms in the area we sometimes send out the Storm Report and Severe WX forms to report conditions. I noticed that Winlink has just a plain Weather Report form. I was wondering if anyone created a custom form to just report things like the temperature, wind, humidity etc.

The custom form process in Flmsg is a nice feature. I just can't get my HTML skills up enough to design a nice looking form.

73, Ron NY3J

Larry Levesque

If someone makes a crude drawing of a form with the fields I can create a custom form

--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

Ron

Hi Larry,

To my rescue again :-) You made a report for the Bucks County's Pandemic Drill a few years back and man was it a hit.

Attached is the form from Winlink that got me thinking. Hopefully I can send files to the group.

73, Ron NY3J

--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

schmaapeesel

For those who don’t normally work with the METAR formatted weather information, I have attached a WORD document that gives the explanation of the weather data in the METAR string.  No need for a custom form.  It is a string of data (plain text) and it is available from all airports with weather data.  Here is the data just copied from the closest airport from me.

METAR KULS 040303Z AUTO 30003KT 10SM CLR 00/M04 A3008 A02

Follow the instructions on the attached document.  If that doesn’t work for anyone, Email me direct, or GOOGLE  -    METAR Format    -   and keep that information handy until you have memorized it.  I have been flying for about 55 years so I have it mostly memorized, but I know there are people who have never seen it before.

Just my 3 cents worth, for free today,

Thanks,

Harry  N0HQG

--

Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

Ron

Thanks Harry, quick way to get the information. When Michael mentioned the METAR data I thought it referred to the weather macro. I just looked up the metar data for KPNE.

73, Ron NY3J

--

Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

W. T. Jones

Yes, thanks for the metar document!
That is good stuff there.
Often heard but never understood. Now I have an idea of it.

Regards,

WT
Real heroes do not wear capes. They wear dog tags, turnout gear, and badges!

--

Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

Bob Gosnell

The METAR data/format works out great. It has all the data needed. I’d go with that.

Bob, N0DAN

On Dec 3, 2019, at 2:38 PM, Ron via Groups.Io <rwenig=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

During storms in the area we sometimes send out the Storm Report and Severe WX forms to report conditions. I noticed that Winlink has just a plain Weather Report form. I was wondering if anyone created a custom form to just report things like the temperature, wind, humidity etc.

The custom form process in Flmsg is a nice feature. I just can't get my HTML skills up enough to design a nice looking form.

73, Ron NY3J

Al Szymanski

Former pilot here : these were our hourly bits to digest as weather changes that often. Here's a link to another very good site with some of the longer examples. As Bob G. said , all the data ( and then some ) that one could need is there.

Al
K7AOZ
Skywarn : M150

Al Szymanski

George Blakeslee

Not sure if this site has been shared.
You can get decoded METAR data here

at bottom of page, put in local airport ID and choose Decoded,then click Get METAR data

image.png

You will get

image.png

73  George  N1GB

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:29 PM Al Szymanski via Groups.Io <aszy=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Oops : here's the link :  https://www.la.utexas.edu/users/kimmel/GRG301K/grg301kmetars.html

Al
K7AOZ

--
George Blakeslee

The website is great IF you have the internet available. However, NBEMS is based on normal communications channels being unavailable, which in my perspective, would rule out the availability of the internet during an actual NBEMS usage. Therefore, it behooves us to learn to listen to and decipher the transmissions from the radio, and how to produce a METAR report for transmission in fldigi.

James B Stafford AJ5BS

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 5:26:18 AM CST, George Blakeslee <george.blakeslee@...> wrote:

Not sure if this site has been shared.
You can get decoded METAR data here

at bottom of page, put in local airport ID and choose Decoded,then click Get METAR data

image.png

You will get

image.png

73  George  N1GB

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:29 PM Al Szymanski via Groups.Io <aszy=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Oops : here's the link :  https://www.la.utexas.edu/users/kimmel/GRG301K/grg301kmetars.html

Al
K7AOZ

--
George Blakeslee

Michael WA7SKG

Many airports have automated weather bulletins broadcast continuously over VHF aircraft frequencies. A quick scan of 118-130 MHz AM will typically find one if you are within 20 miles or so of an airport. (You DO have a scanner in your emergency equipment, don't you?) Also, many of them have have a phone line connected to dial up and get the data. Check sites like airnav.com for the data on airports near you. You should print these data sheets for each airport in your operational vicinity and keep them in your GSTK binder. While not as far reaching as NOAA weather radio, local aviation weather is immediate, up to date, and accurate for your local vicinity. In your emergency plan, I would try to identify someone within reception range of local AWOS/ASOS stations and have them prepare to provide weather data into your system. Lacking that, prepare to dispatch someone to a location that can receive the broadcasts for relay.

BTW, the WXmacro in fldigi looks up the METAR data from NOAA for the specified airport and presents it in human readable format. Of course, not useful in a no Internet situation, but it does give you an idea of how the standard METAR data string is decoded. This is the format many agencies would be looking for

My EMCOMM Philosophy: Plan, Prepare, Train, Practice. EMCOMM is just like the NFL, without the drama. You must join the team, get your equipment, learn the plays, and attend all practices. Don't try to walk in unknown with your bicycle helmet and Nerf football and expect them to let you play in the Super Bowl.

Michael WA7SKG

James Stafford AJ5BS wrote on 12/4/19 3:41 AM:

The website is great IF you have the internet available. However, NBEMS is based on normal communications channels being unavailable, which in my perspective, would rule out the availability of the internet during an actual NBEMS usage. Therefore, it behooves us to learn to listen to and decipher the transmissions from the radio, and how to produce a METAR report for transmission in fldigi.
James B Stafford AJ5BS
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 5:26:18 AM CST, George Blakeslee <george.blakeslee@...> wrote:
Not sure if this site has been shared.
You can get decoded METAR data here
https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar

david flad

Need to consider that some of the past/existing aviation resources are being scaled back, stopped, consolidated, or replaced.

I’ve seen a number of FAA bulletins published in the past year regarding the above.

Our view in Chester County is all about ground truth observations. When the topography is diverse, there can be some significant variance at ground level between locations in different parts of the County.

We are operating County-purchased weather stations (Davis Vantage Pro) at our QTH’s to ensure similar capabilities and data accuracy between operators and locations.
It does require operators to maintain their stations and monitor for data issues. We are also having Davis refurbish stations a few at a time to get latest electronics and sensors replaced/re-calibrated too.

Regards,

David Flad. /. KB3YCK
Emergency Coordinator
Chester County ARES/RACES

On Dec 4, 2019, at 12:21, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

[...]

JP

Thank you James - an excellent point.

For the recent MARS exercise (COMEX), there was supposed to be a requirement that amateurs not use the internet to obtain the weather reports, but rather to either

(a) catch the information over the air from the weather broadcasts transmitted by the airports, or
(b) visit the airport and get the weather information in person (for purposes of the exercise, it was considered acceptable to get the recorded report by telephone if you were no more than 25 miles from the airport so that people didn't actually have to get in their cars and drive).

I can't guarantee that the requirement was communicated in all parts of the country, or that it was honored in all parts of the country, but it was both communicated and honored in Connecticut.

I wrote up a little document describing how to listen to and interpret airport weather reports given in voice (over the air or by phone) and how to keep an active list of airport weather observation frequencies and phone numbers.  It's at http://www.ctares.org/files/Providing_A_Weather_Observation_To_MARS.pdf.  I personally update my list of phone numbers and frequencies for CT about once a month so that I have it in case of loss of internet communications.

73
Jon, AI1V

JP

To your point, there can be some significant variance at ground level between locations in different parts of ANY county.  And the topography does not have to be all that diverse to have significant differences - especially during bad weather.  It's not uncommon, for example, to see widely (and wildly) different conditions between NYC's Kennedy airport and LaGuardia Airport even though they are only 10 miles from each other.

As a result, airport weather observations must be taken at the airport and not at someone's QTH miles away.  Also, bear in mind that home weather stations, no matter how advanced, do not measure some of the most important information for pilots such as runway visibility and cloud layers.

73
Jon, AI1V

BruceN

George N1GB, James AJ5BS,Michael WA7SKG,Ron NY3J

Gentlemen,

I would like to share the info and data you presented here in my AFMARS 4th Communications Wing Newsletter,
properly credited, of course, to share with my MARS compatriots.  If there is no objection, I will share in this weekend's Newsletter.  It does go national but only to MARS members.  I'll share a copy if you will provide me with email addresses to which to send it.

Bruce, K4TQL

Ron

Hi Bruce,

I would be interested in the copy of the Newsletter. My email is ny3j at arrl.net.

The conversation about the METAR data was quite informative. Designing a custom Flmsg form to use this data and send it out with Fldigi would be very handy.

73, Ron NY3J

On 12/5/2019 8:24 AM, BruceN wrote:
George N1GB, James AJ5BS,Michael WA7SKG,Ron NY3J

Gentlemen,

I would like to share the info and data you presented here in my AFMARS 4th Communications Wing Newsletter,
properly credited, of course, to share with my MARS compatriots.  If there is no objection, I will share in this weekend's Newsletter.  It does go national but only to MARS members.  I'll share a copy if you will provide me with email addresses to which to send it.

Bruce, K4TQL

George Blakeslee

Hi Bruce

Yes, you may share my information and data.
I would be interested in seeing the newsletter.
I sent you a pm from my email address to which you may reply.

73  George  N1GB