Topics

Updating Fldigi on the Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspian

Randy Houk

We use Fldigi and Flarq In the USCG Auxiliary.
I have successfully installed the latest version (4.0.16) on a desktop and laptop, both running Win7.
Also having good results on the same laptop running Ubuntu, and on a Pi 3 running Ubuntu Mate.

My first experience running Fldigi on a Pi 3 was on Raspian with 3.22.01 downloaded using the
Synaptic Package Manager many months ago. It worked great. However, now we in the Aux radio
program are using a macro set that requires a 4.x.x version of Fldigi. Sadly, SPM still has 3.22.01.

I downloaded the 4.0.16 tar ball and extracted it in the Pi Download directory.
On Ubuntu Mate I successfully used the following commands to install 4.0.16, so I tried it on Raspian:
  • sudo ./configure
  • sudo make
  • sudo make install
Could not get through configure, with it choking on SAMPLERATE:

checking for PNG... yes
checking for SAMPLERATE... no
configure: error: Package requirements (samplerate >= 0.1.1) were not met:

No package 'samplerate' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables SAMPLERATE_CFLAGS
and SAMPLERATE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/fldigi-4.0.16 $

This is on a Pi 3 with a working 3.22.01 version of Fldigi, so I'd think that the
necessary packages would already have been in place.

What am I doing wrong?

Randy Houk
USCG Auxiliary and KI6DGU

John Anderson

Try http://indyham.com/ script on RPi 3 to install 4.0.16.

Make sure you use a new microSD or else delete the directory HamPi-FLDIGI  over an existing install.

John & Mary Anderson 972-233-1659 214-762-3186(c)

On Monday, March 12, 2018 3:01 PM, "realengr@..." <realengr@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Levesque

Always good to do an sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade before compiling to make sure you have latest libraries and such.

Larry Levesque
KA1VGM
Cheshire County EC
NHARES

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 4:01 PM, <realengr@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Larry.

Yes, I do frequent updates and upgrades, though I use "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

Does adding the "dist-" add or take away anything important from "upgrade"?

I'm preparing now to try the indyham script suggested by John.

Randy

Ed W3NR

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:01:33 -0700
realengr@... wrote:

We use Fldigi and Flarq In the USCG Auxiliary.
I have successfully installed the latest version (4.0.16) on a
desktop and laptop, both running Win7. Also having good results on
the same laptop running Ubuntu, and on a Pi 3 running Ubuntu Mate.
Follow this from the wiki::

http://www.w1hkj.com/doku/doku.php?id=howto:building_on_debian-ubuntu-mint

Ed W3NR

Randy Houk

Thanks for this link, Ed. I looked it over, and saw that you wrote it!
Much of what's there looks pretty familiar as I re-learn Linux.
My Pi3 is still chugging along on the indyham script.

Speaking of Synaptic (as mentioned in the wiki) how often does the fldigi version there get updated
in the Synaptic Package Manager? It was so easy to get fldigi installed that way, I'd like to think
that it should always have a recent version.

Randy

Randy Houk

Things were looking really good running the script, when at about 45 minutes it froze.
Been frozen, including the mouse, for more than 10 minutes.
Here's the screen shot, taken with phone camera.

What can I do now, besides removing power and start back up?

Ed W3NR

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:26:44 -0700
realengr@... wrote:

Speaking of Synaptic (as mentioned in the wiki) how often does the
fldigi version there get updated in the Synaptic Package Manager? It
was so easy to get fldigi installed that way, I'd like to think that
it should always have a recent version.

Randy
It's up to the Ubuntu maintainer as to how often he feels like updating
it.

Thats why Dave and I created the wiki.

Ed W3NR

Ed W3NR

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:49:14 -0700
realengr@... wrote:

Things were looking really good running the script, when at about 45
minutes it froze. Been frozen, including the mouse, for more than 10
minutes. Here's the screen shot, taken with phone camera.

What can I do now, besides removing power and start back up?
Time to hit the power switch.

Ed W3NR

KC9SGV

Hi Randy,

Can you guys send and receive float plans with FlDigi ?
Who do I address them to ?
Who do I cancel them with ?
Winlink can do this....

Bernie,
KC9SGV
Sailboat
Lake Michigan

On Mar 12, 2018, at 3:01 PM, realengr@... wrote:

[...]

Ed, when I got your reply I'd already powered it back up and started your wiki procedure.

4.0.16 is now working nicely on my Pi 3, so thanks very much!

Just one issue with the PulseAudio Volume Control. I get this error message:

Fatal Error: Unable to connect to PulseAudio: OK

Randy KI6DGU

Ed W3NR

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 17:26:35 -0700
realengr@... wrote:

Ed, when I got your reply I'd already powered it back up and started
your wiki procedure.

4.0.16 is now working nicely on my Pi 3, so thanks very much!

Just one issue with the PulseAudio Volume Control. I get this error
message:

Fatal Error: Unable to connect to PulseAudio: OK

Randy KI6DGU
Open synaptic and make sure pulse is installed.

Make sure lbpulse-dev is installed, if not install it and rebuild
fldigi. Open the fldigi directory in a terminal::

./configure && make && sudo make install.

Ed

Ed W3NR

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 21:46:07 -0400
"Ed W3NR" <autek@...> wrote:

Make sure lbpulse-dev is installed, if not install it and rebuild
fldigi. Open the fldigi directory in a terminal::
OOOPS libpulse-dev.

Ed

Dave

You also have to have the pulse audio server running.  On the Pi3 you need to do this after each boot.  (haven't figured out how to make in load automatically).

$ pulseaudio --start

before starting fldigi.

You do not need to be root to start the pulseaudio server

You should install pavucontrol, the pulseaudio mixer.

Dave

"Ed W3NR" <autek@...> wrote:

Make sure lbpulse-dev is installed, if not install it and rebuild
fldigi. Open the fldigi directory in a terminal::
OOOPS libpulse-dev.

Ed

Ed W3NR

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 21:14:54 -0500
"Dave" <@w1hkj> wrote:

You also have to have the pulse audio server running.  On the Pi3 you
need to do this after each boot.  (haven't figured out how to make in
load automatically).

$ pulseaudio --start

before starting fldigi.
Good to know. I'll add it to the wiki in the morning. Thanks Dave.

Ed

Randy Houk

Thanks, Dave.

I did have pavucontrol installed, per the wiki.
Doing the "pulseaudio --start" command did the trick!

Randy

"Ed W3NR" <autek@...> wrote:

Make sure lbpulse-dev is installed, if not install it and rebuild
fldigi. Open the fldigi directory in a terminal::
OOOPS libpulse-dev.

Ed

J T

Add it to  /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart .

Jeff - kg7hdz

"Ed W3NR" <autek@...> wrote:

Make sure lbpulse-dev is installed, if not install it and rebuild
fldigi. Open the fldigi directory in a terminal::
OOOPS libpulse-dev.

Ed

John Anderson

Ed

I might add to the instructions that it works fine on an RPi microSD that does not have an existing Fldigi install.
But if there already is a prior install, Directory HamPi-FLDIGI  must be deleted 1st.   .  If you try other times, delete HamPi-FLDIGI/fldigi-4.0.xx with sudo rm  -rdfI HamPi-FLDIGI/fldigi-4.0.xx

realengr@... wrote:

> Things were looking really good running the script, when at about 45
> minutes it froze. Been frozen, including the mouse, for more than 10
> minutes. Here's the screen shot, taken with phone camera.
>
> What can I do now, besides removing power and start back up?

Time to hit the power switch.

Ed W3NR

KE3KQ

I have been using the 3.xx image successfully on my Pi3 (Happy Pi day BTW). I have a second microSD card where I have been trying to get the 4.xx version of FLdigi installed unsuccessfully due to my lack of linux knowledge. I had recently reloaded Raspian (stretch, I think) and earlier versions of FLdigi and WSJT-X but I could not get 4.xx code to compile cleanly.

Following this groups.io discussion, I found the WIKI (Doah!) and followed the instructions yesterday and I was able to install the 4.xx tarball version found on the W1HKJ website. I had already installed the 3.xx image which I did not touch. I installed "Synaptic" which was new to me. I downloaded the 4.0.16 code to my download folder. Following the wiki instructions for compiling, it seemed to compile cleanly. It seemed (I did not verify this) to write over the 3.xx code so my same desktop icon now brought up the newer version.

I wasn't sure I really needed to use pulse audio (pavucontrol) since the 3.xx version worked ok but I did download and install it. I am using the Pi3 with a SignaLink FWIW.

I did not add myself to the dialout group since I had not done that in the past and I did not really understand the reason for that.

Since I am using TenTec equipment I needed to add the TT-599.xml file to have rig control (works on my TT-539) but after some fiddling, I got that recognized and using RigCat I got most of rig control to work. It is necessary to do a lot of rebooting when playing with rig control in my experience. Turn radio on first and then Pi3 boot - sequence can be meaningful. Changes may only take place after a Pi3 reboot in some cases. After some audio volume adjustments I got it working Keying transmit as expected.

Joy!

Wish I had found the Wiki sooner. I am going to post the Wiki link on our local ham club forum.

*** Ben KE3KQ

Joseph Vilardo

Ben

Would you mind posting the link to the WIKI that you  used to successfully compile fldigi on the Rpi here or direct me to your local ham club web site?

Joe

K3JV

--
Joe Vilardo K3JV