Topics

Two instances fldigi and flrig - last little detail missing???

Jack Spitznagel (KD4IZ)

Dave and All NBEMS gurus,

I am using fldigi and flrig on a Dell XPS 8900 w i7 6700 3.4GHz CPU with 8GB of RAM. OS is Win 10 Pro v1909.

Successfully have set up and can run two separate configurations of fldigi 4.1.12.12 alpha and flrig 1.3.50.07. One configuration works with and controls an IC-9700, the other configuration works with an IC-7300. I have each instance of fldigi configured to start an appropriate instance of flrig. Run as a single instance, fldigi properly spawns flrig and the pair works well with the desired radio.

However. If I start a first instance of the fldigi/flrig pair, for example for the IC-7300, then try to run a second concurrent instance for the IC-9700, the second instance of fldigi always locks on to the first instance of flrig. This leaves me without control of the second rig. Interestingly, doing this within the HRD suite is a piece of cake.

There does not seem to be an obvious way to key the second instance of fldigi to look for the second instance of flrig that it spawns with the autostart feature.

How do I get those two instances of fldigi linked to the correct instance of flrig? There must be some sort of obscure command line parm I am missing.

I have looked in all the obvious documentation sources (that I am aware of) and have drawn a blank card. Short of digging into the config files and source for fldigi, is there a way to solve this problem? Either gentle direction to the correct documentation/section or a brief explanation would be real helpful in getting this last little detail sorted out.

Thanks in advance and 73,

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Trustee for NR3DT

The Museum Ship USCGC Taney WHEC-37 Amateur Radio Group

From: "Marvin Penepent" <pilot-1@...>
To: nbems@groups.io
You got some exelant advise on this.

Larry KF5MLP

>I am not sure of what you are asking here exactly... My configurations would not work correctly as a single instance if I had not configured them each separately.
>
>The USB "virtual" COM ports presented by each rig are the ones I am using for rig control and for sound. The two radios have different com port assignments. The sound device used for digital mode modulation is generated internally by ICOM sound circuitry. I do not have an external sound device involved with either rig. Each rig has its own sound device listing as assigned by Windoze 10.
>
>Basically, how I set up each instance of flrig and fldigi to talk to the correct rig is not a problem. The problem is how the configuration directs a given instance of fldigi to talk with the matching instance of flrig.
>
>Please see the explanation in the note Dave wrote in answer to my question.
>
>Thanks for trying to help.
>
>Jack - KD4iZ

Dave

It was not Jack.  But I will add it to both flrig and fldigi.

Dave

On 5/22/20 4:33 PM, Jack Spitznagel (KD4IZ) wrote:

[...]

A low level “add” request for flrig: could the ability to set the port number be added to the appropriate page of the configuration menu?

Would prevent people from having to grub around at the low level in the .prefs file.

Perhaps and “advanced settings” page added?

Jack - KD4IZ

[...]

    <image001.png>

    and change the Port # to the one that you assigned to the respective flrig.  Disable and then re-enable the flrig xcvr control checkbox.
  • Save the fldigi configuration and exit.

You should then be able to run each flrig/fldigi pair concurrently.

73, David, W1HKJ

P.S.  Shout if you have problems.

Dave

Yes.

I will add your email address to my list of flrig testers.

Dave