Topics

sending images/binary files on #macos

J. Clark

I used flwrap 1.3.5 to create a wrap file from an image that I'd like to send. 
Looks like flamp was the program to use but it's now 3 years old, nothing available for current macOS (High Sierra/Mojave). Anyone have a recommendation for a workaround? How do others send digital files from a Mac?
Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

Ed W3NR

On 11/30/18 3:43 PM, J. Clark wrote:
Looks like flamp was the program to use but it's now 3 years old, nothing available for current macOS (High Sierra/Mojave). Anyone have a recommendation for a workaround? How do others send digital files from a Mac?
Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU
_._,_._,_

http://www.w1hkj.com/files/flamp/

Ed W3NR

J. Clark

Thanks Ed,
That directory has a PPC file and an i386 file for mac. Both are for older machines. While the i386 (32 bit) version opens on my 1 yr old mac, it doesn't entirely work (half the window turned white, tabs don't change settings, didn't import my user info from FLDigi tho' configured in autostart). On the plus side, it did open the folder for associated files. That's just not quite enough to use it.
j.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 1:22 PM Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:
Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

alan.jump@...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/
- -
Alan Jump, N5ILN

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 1:44 PM J. Clark <KK6ZCU@...> wrote:
Thanks Ed,
That directory has a PPC file and an i386 file for mac. Both are for older machines. While the i386 (32 bit) version opens on my 1 yr old mac, it doesn't entirely work (half the window turned white, tabs don't change settings, didn't import my user info from FLDigi tho' configured in autostart). On the plus side, it did open the folder for associated files. That's just not quite enough to use it.
j.

Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

John Notor <gnu@...>

Judi,

On a Mac, you can right click (or equivalent mouse pad move) on a file, and one of the options is “compress <filename>”, which will produce a zip file.

John

John Notor
President/Chief Technologist
Notor Research

Mobile: 1.408.316.8312

KM6TUX

From: <nbems@groups.io> on behalf of "J. Clark" <KK6ZCU@...>
Reply-To: <nbems@groups.io>
Date: Friday, November 30, 2018 at 1:44 PM
To: <nbems@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nbems] sending images/binary files on #macOS

Thanks Ed,

j.

Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

J. Clark

Thanks John,

Is a .zip file equivalent to a .wrap file to fldigi or flamp?
My main question is how to send a data file (.zip or .wrap) using fldigi.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 2:00 PM John Notor <gnu@...> wrote:

Judi,

On a Mac, you can right click (or equivalent mouse pad move) on a file, and one of the options is “compress <filename>”, which will produce a zip file.

John

John Notor
Notor Research

KM6TUX

Thanks Ed,

j.

Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

J. Clark

Thanks Alan,
I have the link to the various fldigi apps. 
Trying to find a way to send a non-text file using the fldigi apps.
FLAmp should be it, but there's no current version for MacOS.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 1:54 PM <alan.jump@...> wrote:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/
- -
Alan Jump, N5ILN

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 1:44 PM J. Clark <KK6ZCU@...> wrote:
Thanks Ed,
j.

Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

John Notor <gnu@...>

Judi,

It’s equivalent, but may be different enough to not work directly. If you are trying to send over the air, I don’t know the answer.

John

John Notor
Notor Research

KM6TUX

Date: Friday, November 30, 2018 at 2:30 PM

Thanks John,

Is a .zip file equivalent to a .wrap file to fldigi or flamp?

My main question is how to send a data file (.zip or .wrap) using fldigi.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 2:00 PM John Notor <gnu@...> wrote:

Judi,

John

John Notor
Notor Research

KM6TUX

Thanks Ed,

j.

Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

Dave

The short (and the long) answer is for you to build the application from source.  Instructions are here:

http://www.w1hkj.com/doku/doku.php?id=howto:building_on_os_x

73, David, W1HKJ

On 11/30/18 3:44 PM, J. Clark wrote:
Thanks Ed,
j.

Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

Dave

Judi,

I posted macos (High Sierra build) files for you:

Distribution version of flamp:

Distribution version of flmsg:

Alpha (unreleased) version of flamp:

These might work OK on 10.14.x.  You will need to let me know.  Apple seems bent on making it difficult for 3rd party developers targeting 10.14.x.

73, David, W1HKJ

On 11/30/18 6:19 PM, Dave wrote:
The short (and the long) answer is for you to build the application from source.  Instructions are here:

http://www.w1hkj.com/doku/doku.php?id=howto:building_on_os_x

73, David, W1HKJ

On 11/30/18 3:44 PM, J. Clark wrote:
Thanks Ed,
j.

Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

J. Clark

AWESOME! Thanks David.
I'm talking with my club tomorrow and several members are Mac users. Will share the links with them and provide feedback as discovered.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 4:53 PM Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:
Judi,

I posted macos (High Sierra build) files for you:

Distribution version of flamp:

Distribution version of flmsg:

Alpha (unreleased) version of flamp:

These might work OK on 10.14.x.  You will need to let me know.  Apple seems bent on making it difficult for 3rd party developers targeting 10.14.x.

73, David, W1HKJ

_._,_._,_

Bob Cameron

Hi Judi

Realising this may not be the info you are after.

Within the fldigi suite the methods to send binary/nonplaintext are;

flarq - An executable that is part of the standard fldigi build
flamp
flmsg - binary/image mode
flwrap, send as text, flwrap (unwrap)

In my experience the biggest problem is that these files are often quite large and unless the link is perfect, some retry/resend method is needed. Although I haven't used flwrap for ages I seem to remember it checksums for validity, but has no correction method beyond a complete resend.

If your requirement is direct station to station (not broadcast), flarq may be a better choice. The sending end needs an operator, but the receiving end could be unattended. (keeping in mind that TX/RX handshaking does go on) It checks that blocks are received and resends only what is needed. flsmsg (I haven't used) is like a layer above flarq that I understand works in a similar way.

flamp to an unattended receiver solves the data loss problem by transmitting the whole file over and over. I use to send 12KByte jpgs over HF with 8PSK500F that needed 3-4 resends. This full repeat is often a large limiting factor. If however the receiving station (or stations) are attended then those individual blocks missed can be resent. This is not as fully automated as flarq though.

Both flamp and flarq convert the binary file as needed on the fly. flwrap doesn't need to be run manually. Just chose the file to send direct from flamp/flarq.

Hope you find this useful.

Bob VK2YQA

On 01/12/18 07:43, J. Clark wrote:
Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU

J. Clark

Bob,

Thank you for taking time to share your overview and experience.
Really helpful information.

Judi

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Bob Cameron <bob3bob3@...> wrote:

Hi Judi

Realising this may not be the info you are after.

Within the fldigi suite the methods to send binary/nonplaintext are;

flarq - An executable that is part of the standard fldigi build
flamp
flmsg - binary/image mode
flwrap, send as text, flwrap (unwrap)

In my experience the biggest problem is that these files are often quite large and unless the link is perfect, some retry/resend method is needed. Although I haven't used flwrap for ages I seem to remember it checksums for validity, but has no correction method beyond a complete resend.

If your requirement is direct station to station (not broadcast), flarq may be a better choice. The sending end needs an operator, but the receiving end could be unattended. (keeping in mind that TX/RX handshaking does go on) It checks that blocks are received and resends only what is needed. flsmsg (I haven't used) is like a layer above flarq that I understand works in a similar way.

flamp to an unattended receiver solves the data loss problem by transmitting the whole file over and over. I use to send 12KByte jpgs over HF with 8PSK500F that needed 3-4 resends. This full repeat is often a large limiting factor. If however the receiving station (or stations) are attended then those individual blocks missed can be resent. This is not as fully automated as flarq though.

Both flamp and flarq convert the binary file as needed on the fly. flwrap doesn't need to be run manually. Just chose the file to send direct from flamp/flarq.

Hope you find this useful.

Bob VK2YQA

On 01/12/18 07:43, J. Clark wrote:
Thanks.

Judi Clark | KK6ZCU