Topics

re AndFlmsg and 2m; Volume control useful for audio and wired connection

Ole Helgerson KI7MBR

Greetings all,

This is perhaps old news for most, but for fellow newbies and those following the path in amateur radio of "blind squirrel looking for acorn" as I do, I hope the following is useful.

Background.  Last February to become acquainted with using AndFlmsg, tested four Android devices and two radios .  The Android devices, Nokia 3.1 (Android 9), two older Moto G 2nd generation (A 6.0) and a Samsung Tab A 6 inch (A 5.1.1)  The radios; Icom T70 ht with 17 inch antenna (with and without Easy Digi interface) and Alinco DR-735 mobile (50, 25, 5 W) with exterior Ed Fong DBJ-1.

Results in February were that all Android devices talked to each other across the table top without radios.  Using the radios, however, sometimes only the RSID came through, either with or without the Easy Digi interface.

That was a bothersome result.  Why the inconsistency?  Sometime afterwards, the recollection came up from something I had read, that either too much volume from the Android device or the radio when sending or too much volume from the receiving radio's speaker can cause problems.

Thus recently looked at the effects of volume adjustment on the sending Android device and that of the receiving radio's speaker using the Nokia 3.1 and the Icom to send and the Samsung perched atop the Alinco to decode receptions (147.555 simplex).

Results.  For sending, things worked when the Nokia volume was set between 2/3 and 3/4 of full.  For reception, the Samsung seemed happy between 45 and 90 degrees of  the Alinco's volume control knob rotation.

Other things checked.

Reviewed the Icom set up.  Used the factory default values for microphone gain. For VOX it did not seem to matter whether it was set for the Icom HS-95 earplug or "other."

Radio power.  In February I used the full power 5 W of the Icom but low power for the Alinco,5W.  This time used the "L" setting of 0.5W for the Icom and 5W again for the Alinco.  The power setting of the Icom is another variable to look at.  The high 5W setting may have contributed to the failures in February.

The Easy Digi.  Still happy with it, though for sending, the Easy Digi's 2.5 and 3.5 mm plugs still did not seem to activate the Icom vox circuity.  The workaround; plug the Icom part OPC-2006 into the radio (a bit of cable with 2.5 and 3.5 mm plugs  for connecting a headset).  Then,VOX will work when the Easy Digi 2.5 plug is connected to that intermediate link..  Reception with Easy Digi is straightforward. Remove the Icom link and plug the Easy Digi directly into the radio.  For anyone who enjoys a good puzzle, I am open to suggestions as to why the Icom wiring is need for transmission.

Hope all this is useful.  Cheers to all involved in developing Fldigi and AndFLmsg!  In addition to winter ice storms and wildfire, our region faces reasonable chances of a Richter Scale 9 earthquake and having a "fast light" method of sending detailed radio messages could be useful in local areas.

73 KI7MBR  Ole