Topics

previous page next page FLDIGI -> SCU-17 -> OSX [Setup Help] #arhab

Dave
 

You probably need to install the OS X driver for the SCU-17.  I'm pretty sure it uses the Silicon Labs 2102 USB bridge.

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

73, David, W1HKJ

Pete Moscatt <pgmoscatt@...>
 

Hey Dave,

Thanks mate, I think you are onto it.
I will sort this out tonight when I get home from work and let ya know how it turns out.

Pete

Marty Hartwell
 

Hi
See embedded comments.

On 09/07/2018 08:51 PM, Pete Moscatt wrote:
Hi All,
OK, I would like to have FLDIGI (4.0.18) setup and working on my iMac that runs macOS High Seirra.
The interface is the YAESU SCU-17.
The iMac uses VMFusion to allow me to run any Windows based applications.
Under the Windows install (via Fusion), FLDIGI works a treat and able to get on the air easily, but it would be nice to have FLDIGI under OSX to prevent me from jumping into Fusion all the time.
So then the question back to you would be "Why not use the Fldigi (4.0.18) available to operate on the MacOS?

The problem is, that the install won't key the SCU-17.
I can receive with no issues, so the Sound Card is working fine.
I am unsure what I need to do in the Hardware PTT to key up the TX.
I don't see the SCU-17 under device, which I think is the issue.
I can't help you there I don't use the SCU-17, sorry but I just haven't
found a need to put that device in line with what I already use. But I am sure there are users out there that are using it, but I don't remember just what rig you are using either.

Marty kd8bj


How do I setup this portion of the configuration?

Mark Dallner
 

Found the Silicon Labs driver for the CP2105, downloaded and ran the install for the SCU-17:
MacBook Air High Sierra and then when oping HamLib tab I found this:


I am a bit confused as to which one to chose.

Running 4.0.18

Any input for this?

73
Mark Dallner
KD9EEE

Dave
 

The SCU-17 has two USB serial ports.  The first is used for CAT control and the 2nd for auxiliary control such as PTT is the transceiver does not have a CAT command for PTT.  I recommend getting the CAT command interface working first; vfo, mode, bandwidth etc.  What transceiver is being used with the SCU-17?

David

On 09/08/2018 09:25 PM, Mark Dallner wrote:
Found the Silicon Labs driver for the CP2105, downloaded and ran the install for the SCU-17:
MacBook Air High Sierra and then when oping HamLib tab I found this:


I am a bit confused as to which one to chose.

Running 4.0.18

Any input for this?

73
Mark Dallner
KD9EEE

Mark Dallner
 

I am using an FT-817nd. Here is a couple of screen shots of the rig tab. The directions say to check Second port is SCU-17. 

This was what ended up working. 



On Sep 8, 2018, at 10:23 PM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:

The SCU-17 has two USB serial ports.  The first is used for CAT control and the 2nd for auxiliary control such as PTT is the transceiver does not have a CAT command for PTT.  I recommend getting the CAT command interface working first; vfo, mode, bandwidth etc.  What transceiver is being used with the SCU-17?

David

On 09/08/2018 09:25 PM, Mark Dallner wrote:
Found the Silicon Labs driver for the CP2105, downloaded and ran the install for the SCU-17:
MacBook Air High Sierra and then when oping HamLib tab I found this:

<Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.18.57 PM.png>

I am a bit confused as to which one to chose.

Running 4.0.18

Any input for this?

73
Mark Dallner
KD9EEE


Pete Moscatt <pgmoscatt@...>
 

Hey Mark,

Installed the drivers as suggested but still don't see them as a device under FLDIGI Hardware PTT.

Question:   When you say   "and ran the install for the SCU-17"
What install are you referring to regarding the SCU-17??

Pete

Mark Dallner
 

Good Morning, Pete.

The “installer” is the driver from this page for the CP2501 Dual  UART bridge controller that is in the SCU-17.  I restarted my Mac just because and the opened About this Mac to see that the device is showing up under USB devices. Then went on to muddle through getting FLDigi Hablib configured. 

This is what I see in About this Mac:



Mark

On Sep 9, 2018, at 3:01 AM, Pete Moscatt <pgmoscatt@...> wrote:

Hey Mark,

Installed the drivers as suggested but still don't see them as a device under FLDIGI Hardware PTT.

Question:   When you say   "and ran the install for the SCU-17"
What install are you referring to regarding the SCU-17??

Pete

Mark Dallner
 

And actually, this is supposed to be what you see: The codec seems to be picky about being seen. I have to restart sometimes for it to be seen.

Mark
KD9EEE


Mark Dallner
 

Here is what I see in the PTT screen and the /dev/ptt is what is working. So I am thankful. Rig control!!! Yeah!!!

Now I have to work on how rig control actually functions. Back to the manual

Mark 
KD9EEE

Pete Moscatt <pgmoscatt@...>
 

G'Day Mark,

I uninstalled the drivers as I was a little concerned that I wasn't seeing them under System Information.
Re-installed and it all looks good.



So, I now see pretty much what you see now. Haven't tried it as yet but will do so in the next few hours.
Hopefully all will go well from now.....  fingers crossed  :-)


Pete

Mark Dallner
 

More questions on the SCU-17...

I had this working just fine with High Sierra and my FT-817ND. Then the next week the local NBems net is happening and the USB Audio Codec is not working. Needed to reload my Mac and did so. Re-Read the directions and got both the codec and dual uart to show in About this Mac. Sound Control Panel is not showing the codec as an alternative sound device. Restarted and still no joy. 

For some reason, I am suspecting a conflict with VMWare Fusion. Next step is to take a mac mini and reload everything fresh just for FLDigi and start there to see what happens.

Any further suggestions?

Mark 

KD9EEE


Dave
 

Are you running fldigi / flrig as M$ exe's from within VMWare Fusion, or as native MacOS binaries?

73, David, W1HKJ

On 09/18/2018 01:30 PM, Mark Dallner wrote:

More questions on the SCU-17...

I had this working just fine with High Sierra and my FT-817ND. Then the next week the local NBems net is happening and the USB Audio Codec is not working. Needed to reload my Mac and did so. Re-Read the directions and got both the codec and dual uart to show in About this Mac. Sound Control Panel is not showing the codec as an alternative sound device. Restarted and still no joy.

For some reason, I am suspecting a conflict with VMWare Fusion. Next step is to take a mac mini and reload everything fresh just for FLDigi and start there to see what happens.

Any further suggestions?

Mark

KD9EEE

Mark Dallner
 

Native MacOS Binaries

---


On 2018-09-18 13:37, Dave wrote:

Are you running fldigi / flrig as M$ exe's from within VMWare Fusion, or as native MacOS binaries?

73, David, W1HKJ

On 09/18/2018 01:30 PM, Mark Dallner wrote:

More questions on the SCU-17...

I had this working just fine with High Sierra and my FT-817ND. Then the next week the local NBems net is happening and the USB Audio Codec is not working. Needed to reload my Mac and did so. Re-Read the directions and got both the codec and dual uart to show in About this Mac. Sound Control Panel is not showing the codec as an alternative sound device. Restarted and still no joy.

For some reason, I am suspecting a conflict with VMWare Fusion. Next step is to take a mac mini and reload everything fresh just for FLDigi and start there to see what happens.

Any further suggestions?

Mark

KD9EEE





Mark Dallner
 

I am in the process of reloading one of my Mac minis. i5 with 8 gigs of ram and 1tb of HD. Not connecting to my iCloud account. Just keeping it as basic as possible.

What mystified me is that one week the setup gets configured and works. Then a week passes and I launch my copy of the FLDigi suite that worked and now it does not. This particular time the Audio codec failed to load. Not a FLDigi issue as the OS did not see the Codec. The UART was showing in About this Mac.

I am going to configure one Mac just for FLDigi and see how that process goes. I have three minis so can play.

I like working with the Mac version of ham radio software along with being able to handle the same software in Windows environment. Just wish that WinLink express had a current Mac version. For another forum.

Later,

Mark 
KD9EEE

On Sep 18, 2018, at 1:43 PM, Mark Dallner <mark@...> wrote:

Native MacOS Binaries

---


On 2018-09-18 13:37, Dave wrote:

Are you running fldigi / flrig as M$ exe's from within VMWare Fusion, or as native MacOS binaries?

73, David, W1HKJ

On 09/18/2018 01:30 PM, Mark Dallner wrote:

More questions on the SCU-17...

I had this working just fine with High Sierra and my FT-817ND. Then the next week the local NBems net is happening and the USB Audio Codec is not working. Needed to reload my Mac and did so. Re-Read the directions and got both the codec and dual uart to show in About this Mac. Sound Control Panel is not showing the codec as an alternative sound device. Restarted and still no joy.

For some reason, I am suspecting a conflict with VMWare Fusion. Next step is to take a mac mini and reload everything fresh just for FLDigi and start there to see what happens.

Any further suggestions?

Mark

KD9EEE