Topics

Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Frank Olaughlin

Steve,

Yes, you are spot on. Acoustic coupling and 8PSK modes are a dead end street. We have had excellent success with them using Signalink or other external interfaces.

Frank WQ1O

Charles Hargrove

The various PSK modes may have issues going through an FM repeater because of reactance tuning. However, the 8PSK modes were made for
repeaters, especially when the 500hz pilot tone is activated. The
pilot tone keeps the signal within 1 or 2 hz so that it is stable.
Some repeaters will exhibit a notch in the waterfall when there is
a tone used for linking repeaters. Our main repeater system in NYC
has this as I see a deep notch at 2200 hz in the waterfall, so I
make sure that a 1500 hz centered signal does not reach 2200 hz on
the high end. The 500 hz pilot tone is above the PL squelch range
of 67-254 hz. And as was said previously, NO acoustic coupling.
A stable audio chain between the radio and computer is needed. If
you don't have a souncard interface dongle, then use regular audio
cables for mic and speaker and turn on the VOX with a short delay.

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC-ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Nets 449.025/123.0 PL
ARnewsline Broadcast Mon. @ 8:00PM
NYC-ARECS Weekly Net Mon. @ 8:30PM
http://www.nyc-arecs.org

NY-NBEMS Net Saturdays @ 10AM & USeast-NBEMS Net Wednesdays @ 7PM
on 7.036 Mhz USB (alt 3.536)/1500 hz waterfall spot; MFSK-16 or 32

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls topped
by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

"Molann an obair an fear" - Irish Saying
(The work praises the man.)

"No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it
provides, it can never take the place of volunteers." - Ronald Reagan

Frank Olaughlin

Charles,

Excellent points. Well said. The pilot tone can be hugely effective.

Steve Bellner

Thank you for the insight about the tone. I have used it on HF but not on the repeaters. Tuesday is our training session and we have been trying to get the local ARES personnel to engageĀ  using the NBEMS program. Most members do not haveĀ  a soundcard interface. This will help Thanks.

Steve, W8TER