Topics

Narrow Band Emergency Messages

John Corby <va3kot@...>
 

Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

George Blakeslee
 

John

The New Hampshire ARES digital net meets Saturday mornings at 1130 UTC on 3582 KHz with 1500 offset.
We start out with BPSK125.
Practice FLmsg and FLamp Messages are generally exchanged with THOR50x1 or MFSK32.
You are welcome to check in.

73  GB

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 9:55 AM, John Corby <va3kot@...> wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93




--
George Blakeslee

W2TLJ
 

The NYS RACES routinely use NBEMS FL suite to send messages as does the NYS DOH. Great product at the right price.
Tom Joneson W2TLJ

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018, 09:55 John Corby <va3kot@...> wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

John Higgins
 

Colorado ARES meets at 0830 MT on 2nd and 4th Sundays on 3590 Center.  Start on PSK31 then other modes as needed to exercise FLAMP and FLMSG.  We periodically move on to WinLink Express to further exercise Soundcard ops.  On our FSK Digital nets, we often use the FLMSG application to move formatted messages.

73,

John Higgins, N6VTS
719-330-0916

On Jul 14, 2018, at 08:25, W2TLJ <tjoneson@...> wrote:

The NYS RACES routinely use NBEMS FL suite to send messages as does the NYS DOH. Great product at the right price.
Tom Joneson W2TLJ

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018, 09:55 John Corby <va3kot@...> wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

Marty Hartwell
 

Hi John

At time I see discussion of problems related to testing of the systems
and discussion of areas of the country where they are used. Like here
in Middle Tennessee our served agencies don't or aren't at the moment
using tools like Flmesg and it's associated tools to send filled out
forms. However I think if more of the operators were to demo them and
show what can be done there might be more demand. I think if more ops'
were to get some training tools to become more proficient with them to
show what could be done, which means that we as ARES ops' need to learn
on our own and show the heads of county EMA what power there is there
we may be able to get some head way.

I am starting to get my FEMA requirements out of the way first then start on this next agenda item.

Marty kd8bj

On 07/14/2018 08:55 AM, John Corby wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?
John, va3kot, EN93

Jeff Ronner
 

We have a weekly NBEMS net on a VHF repeater where we originate and receive practice messages.

On Jul 14, 2018 09:55, "John Corby" <va3kot@...> wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93


501_Andy_VE4PER <ve4per@...>
 

Hello John,

I have been able to set up and use the suite here and with help of some cooperative emcomm hams in USA managed to create a few useful forms to use locally here for practice. I have a home network and use separate machines to send msgs back and forth to prove they work properly.

I ,like yourself,  have found local hams here reluctant to try both Linux and Windows and/or  the FL suite. The few that are not generally apathetic are more involved in MARS/CFARS  ALE products which include encryption and use ACP MIL Spec type messaging that is not built into the FL suite generally.

I was a RAC EC locally for about a year here in EN09 and on a number of occasions designed and sent practice forms to other EC's to see if they could generate enough participation in their areas to maybe set up local practice exchanges on say 80M nets but got no response back to those efforts either.

I offered to install and clone Linux systems onto thumb drives for them also but was never asked to do so by anyone. I find linux far more challenging than a crossword or sudoko to keep the aging old grey matter elastic. And being senior $$$ savings are immense when it comes to finding software free of the cloud and crazy subscription fees or seat licenses for programs.

There is a bit of a learning curve associated with Linux so many are overwhelmed and just close their ears and put on blinders to prevent having to learn a new OS like linux. In so doing the advantages of having a system that can fully function using just a 64 or 128 GB thumb drive on almost any hardware easily anywhere is lost.

It also has the advantage when developers set up installs of custom ham programs as an example using ppe's that all components and programs are deemed part of the OS install system are updated at the same time and quickly usually.

On updates it usually lists all the components with file sizes and allows you an option to exclude something that might compromise an emcomm program you need to be reliable.

You don't spend endless hours installing and re-installing updates piecemeal only to have an auto windows update delete some needed library file on you. YOU control the timing of installing updates and don't have to worry about $600 extra data overage charges because an auto update was corrupt and kept trying to re-download and reinstall every day on you.

In the ALE world hopes were up to use the TI ez USB sound card because it was expandable, however that idea has been quashed because TI just out of the blue jacked the price up from $99 to well over $250 a cost average hams find objectionable even though they may be civic minded enough to offer their resources in EMER situations.

In short John if we had a net locally here under present propagation condx I would be into it here easily.

73

Andy, ve4per, EN09


On 2018-07-14 08:55 AM, John Corby wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

501_Andy_VE4PER <ve4per@...>
 

Are you on a linked VHF network that is tied to the Thunder Bay/Dryden/Kenora/Falcon Lake system that links into MB MRS system by any chance?


On 2018-07-14 10:49 AM, Jeff Ronner wrote:
We have a weekly NBEMS net on a VHF repeater where we originate and receive practice messages.

On Jul 14, 2018 09:55, "John Corby" <va3kot@...> wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93


Randy McGill
 

Yes, we use it all the time.  We have custom forms that we use for message traffic as well as the standard ICS, WX message forms.  We have integrated our FLmsg / FLamp files into a linked folder with ARIM/ARDOP.  Incoming / stored messages are shared between ARIM and FLmsg / FLamp.  This allows for sharing of traffic outside of the standard net times and acts as a backbone network between select stations.  Those shared NBEMS files can then be extracted from ARIM and seamlessly resent on another net using FLmsg / FLamp. 
N7WWA

Sarah
 

Hi John:

I live in Los Angeles Co., CA and the volunteer Disaster Communication Service that's allied with the Sheriff's department does weekly net with NBEMS.  (And a second, smaller emergency comms group I belong to in my immediate, local area is resuming a second net this week.)

73, N6OPE.

On 7/14/2018 6:55 AM, John Corby wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

Sarah
 

Ooops, forgot to mention John:  I started a Groups.io group about 6 months ago for the specific purpose of creating a place where NBEMS users could share tips, information, and experiences.  Open to all:  https://groups.io/g/22nbems

73, N6OPE


On 7/14/2018 6:55 AM, John Corby wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

John Corby <va3kot@...>
 

Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

Steve Hansen
 

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

Sarah
 

Yes!  I'm still relatively new to NBEMS and haven't used it in an emergency yet.  But it seems tailor made for the circumstances you describe.  For example, you could be of great service to your community by being able to send NBEMS messages to provincial** authorities in charge of emergency or first responders or something like the Red Cross.  If nothing else being able to communicate the need for critical medications or provide a detailed status report could really make a difference. 

** being in the US I'm not sure how or if Canadian provinces are broken down into smaller governmental units like a US State breaks down into county governments. 


On 7/16/2018 7:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

Don Poaps
 

Here in BC we use Winlink. Every 3rd Wednesday we have. Emergency Management BC net. We check in via voice on HF and VHF as well as a Winlink Express Message. 
The only time I would use NBEMS is with Satern, unfortunately the bands are in the toilet. The net is the same time a club function here and it would have to be an emergency 



There use to be some nets from California but these nets conflict with my Salvation Army Schedule 


73

Don va7qu 
Satern BC
Radio Manager 


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 13:22 Sarah <n6ope@...> wrote:

Yes!  I'm still relatively new to NBEMS and haven't used it in an emergency yet.  But it seems tailor made for the circumstances you describe.  For example, you could be of great service to your community by being able to send NBEMS messages to provincial** authorities in charge of emergency or first responders or something like the Red Cross.  If nothing else being able to communicate the need for critical medications or provide a detailed status report could really make a difference. 

** being in the US I'm not sure how or if Canadian provinces are broken down into smaller governmental units like a US State breaks down into county governments. 


On 7/16/2018 7:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

--
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE


Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k           



                    
  




 

Steve Bellner
 

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.


Steve Hansen
 

Hi Steve,

I am copying David WE1U who is active in the Hospital Net. He can answer your questions better than I can.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 09:51 PM, Steve Bellner wrote:

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.



George Blakeslee
 

Steve

Merle, KB1RJC, coordinates the New Hampshire Hospital Net.
I am including her on this reply.
She would be able to answer your questions for NH.

73  GB


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Steve Bellner <stevebellner@...> wrote:

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.





--
George Blakeslee

Doug K7KY
 

John & the net...  Every Tuesday evening, 0330z, 3.581+1500, MFSK-32, ORCA DIGITAL NET.  http://orcadigitalnet.com 

Early Ck-in 0315z.  It's best to monitor the net a few weeks and read the Quick Start Guide @ the website. The net is organized for traffic practice and brisk. We use FLDIGI, FLMSG, & FLAMP every week.  The bands have been difficult lately, w/o much long skip, but every now & then we get a far eastern ck-in.

Most members are west coast and east to UT & ID.  My wife Mindy W7ZAP & I NCS the net.  Monitor us a couple weeks and then check-in and practice digital traffic handling with us.  Doug K7KY

we1u.david@...
 

to the group:

Androscoggin ARES/RACES use to work with the Central Maine Regional
Resource Center doing Quarterly Radio Test. Since the Spring we have
joined with NH ARES Hospital Amateur Radio Program, HARP Net on
Wednesdays at 1600L on the first and second week of the month when the
net is held on the Mount Washington 146.655MHz-100Hz Repeater.

We have voiced and fldigi/flmsg HICS-213. Fortunately, we have lately
used only fldigi/flmsg ;)

Digital Modes used have ranged from PSK125, PSK125R, PSK250R,
PSK125RC5, PSK250RC5,8PSK125 and attempted 8PSK500F.

Androscoggin ARES/RACES Net uses PSK125RC5, PSK250RC5, and 8PSK500F.
The PSK250RC5 seems the sweet mode(sweet spot is 1500Hz) it can be
used on Raspberry Pi 3. PSK125RC5 has been the fallback with slower
computers....and Windows boxes ;)

I have some notes for the net:
http://we1u.us/#hospital

and fldigi notes:
http://we1u.us/ham/#fldigi

Question back to the group:

Any plans to have all HICS and ICS Forms in flmsg?

Spellcheck? ;)

SVG(UML?) for (H)ICS diagrams? sometime down the road.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Steve <shansen@...> wrote:
Hi Steve,

I am copying David WE1U who is active in the Hospital Net. He can answer
your questions better than I can.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 09:51 PM, Steve Bellner wrote:

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What
about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple
of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine.
In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are
equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but
for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually
using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been
utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting
emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension
to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in
southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and
internet) lines are down too. After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service
deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS
has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability
until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the
technology.





--
Be Well

David Lowe WE1U
68 High St Apt 2
Auburn ME
207 783.1759
http://we1u.us/

GPS: 44.095173N 70.227477W
Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/jwrVc

Androscoggin Amateur Radio Club
http://w1npp.org/

WX1GYX SKYWARN
http://www.wx1gyx.org/