Topics

MP3 Files and FLDigi

Dave

A quote from https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/16/mp3_dies_nobody_noticed/

==========================================================================================================

MP3 'died' and nobody noticed: Key patents expire on golden oldie tech

And Fraunhofer won't renew 'em

Key patents held on the MP3 audio format expired last month – and it's taken three weeks for anyone to notice.

And the Fraunhofer Institute has declined to renew the intellectual property it owns on the MPEG Audio Layer III technology – as well as terminating its licensing programme. So yup, now you can use MP3 encoding in your products almost patent free – others who worked to develop the format still hold some of the patents – and, of course, your MP3s that used to work will still work in the future.

==========================================================================================================

So legally, the mp3 codec could be added to fldigi.  But there are better public domain audio compression codecs, notably ogg which provides a better quality audio / compression than mp3.

I will consider your request.

David, W1HKJ
fldigi author

On 8/24/19 7:21 AM, Bill wrote:
If it's possible, I want to transmit an mp3 audio file. I know FLDigi will do .WAV files but can't figure out how to do mp3...

Al,