Topics

IC7200 transceiver control

Dave

Philip Salley wrote on winfldigi:
Tom,
The IC-7200 is a fine rig for FLDigi work.

Over time I have found FLDigi rig configuration initialization can be seemingly inexplicably temperamental at times (pardon the double adverb).

I'm sure you have set the IC-7200 to USB-D with digital port as USB (of course this assumes you are using the 7200's internal USB sound/CAT port.)

Carefully examine all the parameters with particular attention to baud rate, and com port (Device) is correct.  Failing to sync then try adjusting RTS/DTR, porting interval, stop bit 1 or 2 (usually not critical with either 1 or 2), Write delay (50 or so), retries (about 3 is good), retry interval (200 or so).  retrying initialize after each change.  Make sure the Use HamLib square is checked.

Others are likely to suggest using FLrig, which is Okay though I prefer the simple approach using HamLib or rigcat.  RigCAT requires a 7200.XML file download for your rig.

Regards, Phil / K4PO

Let me add that the control features as implemented in fldigi/flrig may finally sway the decision as to which CAT method to select.  A comparison for the IC-7200:

Control flrig rigcat hamlib

selectA X

selectB X

get_vfoA X X X
set_vfoA X X X
get_vfoB X

set_vfoB X

get_modeA X X
set_modeA X X
get_modeB X

set_modeB X

set_split X

get_split X

set_PTT X X X
get_PTT X X
set_volume_control X

get_volume_control() X

get_smeter X X
get_power_out X X
get_swr X X
get_alc X X
set_noise X

get_noise X

set_nb_level X

get_nb_level X

set_noise_reduction_on_off X

get_noise_reduction_on_off X

set_noise_reduction_val X

get_noise_reduction_val X

set_attenuator X

get_attenuator X

set_preamp X

get_preamp X

set_rf_gain X

get_rf_gain X

set_squelch X

get_squelch X

set_power_control X

get_power_control X

get_mic_gain X

set_mic_gain X

get_modeA X

set_modeA X

get_modeB X

set_modeB X

get_FILT X

set_FILT X

set_bwA X X
get_bwA X X
set_bwB X

get_bwB X

set_auto_notch X

get_auto_notch X

set_compression X

get_compression X

set_vox_onoff X

set_notch X X
get_notch X X
get_agc X

set_agc X

set_if_shift X

get_if_shift X

set_pbt_inner X

get_pbt_inner X

set_pbt_outer X

get_pbt_outer X

set_cw_wpm X

enable_break_in X

set_cw_qsk X

set_cw_spot_tone X

set_cw_vol X

setVfoAdj X

getVfoAdj() X

get_band_selection X

set_band_selection X

73, David, W1HKJ
(satisfied owner of an Icom 7200)

Gil Gibbs

Tom, Phillip;

 Just curious, is the Icom IC-7851 & the latest Elecraft rigs good for
winflidgi work? I'm overwhelmed with viable rigs, just no real
experience with non-ssb, cw modes.

Thanks, 73's

Gil WA5YKK

On 11/20/19 2:50 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

K3eui

Gil
I have successfully operated the various FLDIGI modes (PSK, Olivia, MFSK, Thor, RTTY) with a 25 yr old Icom 725 and a standard phone filter (2.8 kHz) and a simple SignaLink or Rigblaster for the sound card, with the power level set at about 25 watts (SSB peak) to a simple dipole or simple handmade vertical.

You don't need much power, especially on FT8 and FT4 (WSJT-X).

Of course, the Elecraft K3 and K4 (soon) and the battleship Icom rigs like a 7851 and 7610 will work a bit easier (cleaner) and give you tons of more options... for a price.

You basically need a "stable" VFO and a decent sound card. Narrow filters are sometimes handy. Dual receivers are way cool. Other than that, the rest is nice, but not necessary to have fun with FLDIGI on HF.
You don't need "narrow" filters either for most digi modes, unless you are in a contest. Digital "noise reduction" is not needed, and not wanted in my opinion.
Just be certain that when you transmit, the ALC reads ZERO for the optimum lowest distortion signal. Never ever use speech compression with a digi mode.

Barry k3eui
PaNBEMS net manager (80m, Sunday at 0800 hr on 3583.0 kHz (that's the VFO dial frequency with rig mode set to Upper Sideband)

On 11/20/19 2:50 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Gibbs

Barry,

Ah, so. Now I get the overall gist of this, years after "Hurricane Harvey" sank my aspirations. Moving to the "Acre" in Yorktown, Tx, is a chore, just hundreds of details to address. Got no idea of the Ham radio population there, just remarks of "lots of CB users" some years ago. I really appreciate the hints of how to set up FLIDIGI.

73's

Gil WA5YKK

On 11/20/19 2:50 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

There are many many good reasons you might want to purchase a "battleship" HF rig with a zillion superb features. Don't bust your back lifting it. The gorgeous display, the rejection of unwanted signals, clear audio, excellent filters, and dozens of even better reasons. Of course, Elecraft rigs (you can lift) have a superb reputation and I can't wait to see how the K4 stacks up.

FLDIGI and any of the sound-card based HF digital modes will work with ANY stable HF transceiver reasonably well. As I said before, 25W to a decent HF antenna can work the world. For some, 25W is even considered "hi power" (hi). Last year I worked Australia on 40m at night with 10W and a home-made 40 meter vertical antenna lashed to a tree with two above-ground 34 ft radials. Now that was fun.

I should have mentioned that I got into the sound-card modes (mid 1990's) with a Rigblaster "NO MIC" interface, feeding transmit audio into the Icom 725's 8 pin round MICROPHONE jack (something that can be a bit tricky to avoid RF feedback and overdriven signals). I pulled receive audio from the headphone jack, and fed it directly through a simple shielded audio cable into the MIC input of a laptop, using the computer's own built-in sound card (cheap).

There used to be reasons to operate FSK rather than AFSK. But then, I hardly even hear RTTY of any type on HF any longer; well, unless there is a RTTY contest. AFSK is still fun and you can choose any audio pitch you want on the waterfall.

Even PSK31 is rapidly disappearing.

The weekend NBEMS 80m nets from NY, NJ, NH, and Pa all use THOR 22 as the sound-card check in mode. It works so well at 78 wpm and about 500 Hz bandwidth. I am sure there are digital nets in Tx.

Looks like FT8 and FT4 are the new kids on the block.

Have fun regardless of what rig you use.

73
Barry k3eui

On 11/20/19 2:50 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

 I failed to make myself clear about rigs. My secretary, who "rescued"
me from the pitfalls of inheritance, made sure I got the "battleship"
rigs. Partly, she's due to get her licenses "soon", thus will have the
pick of my acquisitions. Icom and Elecraft are my favorites, especially
when  the K1 came out, thus now I have a K3s unbuilt on the floor....
long story.

About the many digital modes, I've had the displeasure of finding my
past purchases looking strangely alone on the floor of my "hobby cabin",
thus don't expect to see a clean insides soon. There are chemical means
to reduce & clean up rust & aluminum oxide now, so if I should live so

One of these days, I'll find out what I can get into, so look for my
Icom & Elecraft signals from mid-Texas!

73's for now,

Gil WA5YKK