Topics

Hardware Connections

"Sam Saladino" <ortracr@...>

Software is installed and appears to be working well. Before moving
on I want to make sure I understand what hardware connections must be
made between the radio and computer.

From the "SPEAKER OUT" of the radio goes to the "MICROPHONE IN" of the
sound card. This is accomplished with a patch cord with proper
connectors on each end. (Yes/No?)

The "MICROPHONE IN" of the radio goes to the "SPEAKER OUT" of the
sound card. Also accomplished with a patch cord and proper connectors
on each end. (Yes/No?)

The PTT circuit of the radio can be controlled either through using
one of the Serial Ports of the computer, or separate manual switch or
manual Send/Receive switch on radio. (Yes/No?)

Questions...

1. The mode on the radio is set to SSB?
2. Is there anything else that has to be connected between the
connections from radio (mic/speaker) and connections to computer to
the sound card other than the patch cords? Or anything you'd
recommend to prevent RF getting into the computer during transmit
along the patch cords? ie ferrite beads, cores, or anything else?

I'm pretty much a newbie to this facet of Ham Radio and the only thing
I've done in the past is receive a variety of digital signals on my
computer using the soundcard, but never attempted to transmit. Any
and all suggestions and help are appreciated. Thanks.

73s
Sam NW9T

"David Freese" <w1hkj@...>

--- In NBEMSham@..., "Sam Saladino" <ortracr@...> wrote:

Software is installed and appears to be working well. Before moving
on I want to make sure I understand what hardware connections must be
made between the radio and computer.

From the "SPEAKER OUT" of the radio goes to the "MICROPHONE IN" of the
sound card. This is accomplished with a patch cord with proper
connectors on each end. (Yes/No?)
Yes if you are using a notebook computer? On a desktop system you
should use LINE-IN to prevent overdriving the sound card.

The "MICROPHONE IN" of the radio goes to the "SPEAKER OUT" of the
sound card. Also accomplished with a patch cord and proper connectors
on each end. (Yes/No?)
OK, sound cards also have a LINE-OUT. Use LINE-OUT if it is available.

The PTT circuit of the radio can be controlled either through using
one of the Serial Ports of the computer, or separate manual switch or
manual Send/Receive switch on radio. (Yes/No?)
Manual T/R will never be fast enough for digital communications. You
should use a T/R switch that is toggled by RTS if possible. You can
also use the VOX on the transceiver.

Questions...

1. The mode on the radio is set to SSB?
USB for all communications including RTTY.

2. Is there anything else that has to be connected between the
connections from radio (mic/speaker) and connections to computer to
the sound card other than the patch cords? Or anything you'd
recommend to prevent RF getting into the computer during transmit
along the patch cords? ie ferrite beads, cores, or anything else?
If you experience RFI then isolation transformers should be used
between the radio and the computer; on both audio lines. Better yet
you can purchase a suitable digital interface that already has the
audio isolation and PTT circuitry.

73, Dave, W1HKJ

"R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@...>

Hi Sam,

Basically you are correct.

If you are going to be in this for any length of time you should
consider getting a interface like the rigblaster, rascals, microkeyer,
etc....They totally isolate the computer from the radio and provide all
the switching which is necessary.

Sam Saladino wrote:
| Software is installed and appears to be working well. Before moving
| on I want to make sure I understand what hardware connections must be
| made between the radio and computer.
|
|>From the "SPEAKER OUT" of the radio goes to the "MICROPHONE IN" of the
| sound card. This is accomplished with a patch cord with proper
| connectors on each end. (Yes/No?)
|
| The "MICROPHONE IN" of the radio goes to the "SPEAKER OUT" of the
| sound card. Also accomplished with a patch cord and proper connectors
| on each end. (Yes/No?)
|
| The PTT circuit of the radio can be controlled either through using
| one of the Serial Ports of the computer, or separate manual switch or
| manual Send/Receive switch on radio. (Yes/No?)
|
| Questions...
|
| 1. The mode on the radio is set to SSB?
| 2. Is there anything else that has to be connected between the
| connections from radio (mic/speaker) and connections to computer to
| the sound card other than the patch cords? Or anything you'd
| recommend to prevent RF getting into the computer during transmit
| along the patch cords? ie ferrite beads, cores, or anything else?
|
| I'm pretty much a newbie to this facet of Ham Radio and the only thing
| I've done in the past is receive a variety of digital signals on my
| computer using the soundcard, but never attempted to transmit. Any
| and all suggestions and help are appreciated. Thanks.
|
| 73s
| Sam NW9T

1/6/2008 11:57 AM

- --