Topics

Getting up to speed on operating with fldigi?

Frank

I got my ham license just under a year ago, started using FT8 with WSJT-X exclusively, and managed to get DXCC done in about seven months. Now I'm interested in using fldigi to expand into other modes.

I have fldigi-4.1.00 installed on my MacBook Pro running Mojave, and since my IC-7300 was already set up for digital it seems to be talking to fldigi successfully (changing frequency on either changes it on the other, etc). So far I've browsed around a little with listening to CW, which seemed somewhat successful although the decodes exhibited a lot of noise.

Beyond that, I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Most of the tutorials I've run across seem to focus more on setup/configuration rather than operating. Is there anything good to read, or videos to look at, besides the essentials in the beginner's guide at http://www.w1hkj.com/beginners.html? For example, as just one question, what are the modes most popular with fldigi users these days, and where in the bands would I look for them?

Thanks and 73,

Frank k6fod

Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...>

Welcome to the world of digital modes outside of FT8. Other than FT8 there are a few common modes that FLdigi can decode .

CW is so-so because it depends on the transmitting station to send almost perfect CW, many operators sending with their own fist cause poor copy.

If you switch to PSK31, you will likely find stations operating around 14070 USB 7070 ISN , and 3854 USB

On weekends there is a lot of RTTY around 14088 to 14125 USB because of weekend contests . On weekdays, not a lot of activity unless a major DXpedition is active ..

Olivia 500/8 can be heard from time to time around 14073 USB  and 7073 USB.  Nets for NBEMS are usually in the evening around 3580 to 3585 USB.

Other likely modes are HELL, MFSK16, and THOR. Not common, these days . Fldigi supports Reed-Solomon identification. This automatically identifies some modes IF you turn it on for receive and if the other station activates it when they begin a transmission. Problems is, many do not use it .

There are other modes that are common but not available in FLdigi . They are ALE, PACTOR, Winmor , and VARA. These modes are mostly used for mail handling .

To begin with, I suggest PSK31, RTTY, and Olivia . Upper Side Band is issue for all the above modes regardless of frequency /band . Except RTTY where convention dictates that LSB is used .

You can Google my Quick and Dirty Guide to Digital Modes . It is a very old guide , but might be of some use .

Andy K3UK.

On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:18 AM, Frank <gio@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Bellner

Frank,

This has nothing to do with what you are talking about however, I have a blind friend who uses a MAC. He needs help installing and operating FLmsg and FLdigi. I am not computer savvy. Would you mind if I contact you and get some help getting him operational? He does not know if it will work with MAC.

Please consider this a request to help install and get him operational.

73,

Steve, W8TER

On 2/11/2019 11:18 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Andy, I appreciate the notes. I'll try those modes and frequencies.

I did a web search and, while I came across references to your "Quick and Dirty Guide to Digital Modes," I wasn't able to find a link for the article itself. Is it somewhere on the web?

Frank

Steve, I'd be happy to try to help out with your friend, but have a couple of caveats.

First, I'm ultra-new to Flidigi, so if there is another Mac user who is more experienced with it reading this, I'd definitely defer to them.

Second, in my experience with Flidigi and WSJT-X, the issue isn't so much the basic install of the program, but rather getting it configured to talk to your radio, and getting the radio itself configured. If your friend happens to have an IC-7300 I can probably help, but if he has another radio it might be more beneficial to find someone with experience with that particular radio (whether or not they're a Mac user).

Finally, I haven't installed and am not using Flmsg, so I can't help with that.

Despite all of the above if it seems as though there's a way I might be able to assist, let me know!

Steve Bellner

RGR all Frank.

Thank you and I'll try your advise.

73,

W8TER

On 2/11/2019 7:55 PM, Frank wrote:
Steve, I'd be happy to try to help out with your friend, but have a couple of caveats.

First, I'm ultra-new to Flidigi, so if there is another Mac user who is more experienced with it reading this, I'd definitely defer to them.

Second, in my experience with Flidigi and WSJT-X, the issue isn't so much the basic install of the program, but rather getting it configured to talk to your radio, and getting the radio itself configured. If your friend happens to have an IC-7300 I can probably help, but if he has another radio it might be more beneficial to find someone with experience with that particular radio (whether or not they're a Mac user).

Finally, I haven't installed and am not using Flmsg, so I can't help with that.

Despite all of the above if it seems as though there's a way I might be able to assist, let me know!

Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...>

Attached (if the mail group allows attachments) is a PDF of the original document from 2000, very old.  Perhaps I will update it for the modern world.

Andy K3UK

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:00 PM Steve Bellner <stevebellner@...> wrote:

[...]

Ted VE3TRQ

I'm sure if you start a new thread asking for Mac FLDigi help, you will have lots of people come out of the woodwork. There are many of us that use Macs with various radios. I use FLDigi on Mac, Windows, and Linux on a Flex, a K3, and a KX3.

Ted  VE3TRQ

Doug K7KY

Frank... IC you live on the west coast.  You can learn about handling NBEMS traffic by monitoring the ORCA DIGITAL NET on Tues evenings, 1930p/0330z, on 3.581+1500, MFSK-32.  You will eventually need to install FLMSG & FLAMP to participate, but you can learn a lot about digital net operations by monitoring. ORCA closely follows Amateur Directed net protocols.  Monitor a few sessions and you will know if ORCA is right for your interest.  Whatever skills you learn here will do you well in all digital operations; you don't have to work digital traffic to benefit.  Doug K7KY

Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...>

Frank,  FYI... I left my rig on 14070 today with RS ID turned on for receive and I received the fllowing modes

22:09:09 UTC ALE400            2514 Hz
21:42:23 UTC CONTESTIA-8-250   2185 Hz
21:36:40 UTC CONTESTIA-8-250   2573 Hz
21:26:46 UTC CONTESTIA-8-250   2314 Hz
21:21:05 UTC CONTESTIA-8-250   2519 Hz
21:18:41 UTC OLIVIA-8-500      2309 Hz
21:18:35 UTC CONTESTIA-8-250   2314 Hz
21:14:35 UTC OLIVIA-8-500      2309 Hz
21:08:37 UTC OLIVIA-8-500      2314 Hz
21:06:20 UTC OLIVIA-8-500      2304 Hz
19:55:46 UTC OLIVIA-4-250      1458 Hz
18:06:44 UTC BPSK31            1798 Hz
17:59:50 UTC CONTESTIA-8-250   2492 Hz
16:09:15 UTC OLIVIA-16-500     2384 Hz
15:05:19 UTC MFSK16            2147 Hz
15:00:26 UTC MFSK16            2153 Hz

Andy K3UK

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 6:01 PM Doug K7KY <k7ky@...> wrote:
Frank... IC you live on the west coast.  You can learn about handling NBEMS traffic by monitoring the ORCA DIGITAL NET on Tues evenings, 1930p/0330z, on 3.581+1500, MFSK-32.  You will eventually need to install FLMSG & FLAMP to participate, but you can learn a lot about digital net operations by monitoring. ORCA closely follows Amateur Directed net protocols.  Monitor a few sessions and you will know if ORCA is right for your interest.  Whatever skills you learn here will do you well in all digital operations; you don't have to work digital traffic to benefit.  Doug K7KY

Frank

Doug, thanks for the heads-up about the ORCA net. I'll make a point of tuning in next Tuesday. Actually I do have FLMSG and FLAMP installed now.

Frank

Andy, great demo of the RS ID capability. I have FLdigi running on 14.070 at the moment and just toggled that on.

I've been getting some great help from people here both on and off the list. I also found the YouTube videos posted on K4REF's YouTube account helpful, though I see they're about three years old now so the menus are slightly different. I have my macros customized and have been monitoring some QSOs to get a feel for how they go.

The one last detail I need to sort out before trying to transmit is how to set the power level with my configuration. I'm using an Icom IC-7300, and have a single USB cable between it and my Mac laptop for both CAT rig control and USB CODEC audio transfer. The standard practice with WSJT-X is to leave RF Power on the rig set to 100%, and dial the power up or down with a slider in the WSJT-X app. At this point I'm not sure yet how to do that with FLdigi. I've done some web searches but have seen conflicting advice, including some that seems to relate to soundcard settings that aren't applicable in my case. If anyone has a quick answer on this one I'd be much obliged.

Ed W3NR

On 2/13/19 1:50 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

Just under the Store Lck buttons is the ATTN, it dors what you want.

Ed W3NR

Frank

Ed, thanks very much for the pointer -- was able to find that.

Now I'm wondering: If I have my IC-7300 set to 100% RF Power, what would be an appropriate number to plug into the ATTN on FLdigi to achieve a net power out of ~30 watts? At the moment the ATTN window is showing -3.0 dB.

Ed W3NR

On 2/13/19 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Ed, thanks very much for the pointer -- was able to find that.

Now I'm wondering: If I have my IC-7300 set to 100% RF Power, what would be an appropriate number to plug into the ATTN on FLdigi to achieve a net power out of ~30 watts? At the moment the ATTN window is showing -3.0 dB.

Use the arrow buttons to adjust the power.

Ed

Frank

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:50 AM, Ed W3NR wrote:
Use the arrow buttons to adjust the power.
That was pretty clear, I was wondering what would be an average numeric value for that ATTN window to bring the rig's 100 watts down to ~30 watts. Based on watching the IC-7300's Power Out bar graph while transmitting, it appears as though -7.6 dB in FLdigi's TX level attenuator window should put me somewhere around 30 watts. If that sounds wildly different from what other people use for a transceiver of this class, that would be interesting to know.

I tried responding to a CQ, and logged my first PSK31 QSO -- actually with an op who is only about 10 miles away. With more distant hams, I typically see a lot of gibberish characters mixed into the text (sometimes it's more gibberish than text). Is that common? I think the transceiver and antenna are pretty decent. Anything else to tweak within FLdigi? Or is noise due to band conditions and so on just part of life?

Ed W3NR

On 2/13/19 3:04 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Adjust the slider on the right side just above the SQL button.

This may answer a lot of your questions::

http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/index.html

Ed

Frank

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:12 PM, Ed W3NR wrote:

Adjust the slider on the right side just above the SQL button.

This may answer a lot of your questions::

http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/index.html
Thanks, Ed. I'm sure it's my shortcoming, but I've looked through the online help and am not finding a section that discusses the slider you mention above. Do you remember where you might have seen it?

Ed W3NR

On 2/13/19 6:17 PM, Frank wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:12 PM, Ed W3NR wrote:

Adjust the slider on the right side just above the SQL button.

This may answer a lot of your questions::

http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/index.html
Thanks, Ed. I'm sure it's my shortcoming, but I've looked through the online help and am not finding a section that discusses the slider you mention above. Do you remember where you might have seen it?
_._,_._,_

http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/operating_controls_page.html

Ed W3NR

Frank