Topics

GEO satellite for the Americas

KC9SGV

If you are interested to find out more about the efforts to secure our own GEOstationary satellite over the Americas, please join the new GEO IO group.
All digital modes will be possible through it.
Emcomm would be greatly enhanced.
Save those old Direct TV dishes...

https://groups.io/g/GEO

KC9SGV

KC9SGV

Echostar 9
So, there is a proposal out from ORI (Open Resource Institude) for rented bandwidth on Echostar 9 at 121 deg West.
All the FLdigi modes will be able to be repeated by it.
The uplink is via an aggregator on commercial frequencies.
The downlink is direct on 12 GHz, but you must homebrew your receiver.
This could be a SDR dongle and SDR# Windows software.
Join the GEO.IO Group to read more.
https://groups.io/g/GEO

k4pwo <k4pwo@...>

Downlink is also a “commercial frequency”… none ham all the way.  Why not just use a sat phone that is much easier to obtain if you are going to abandon ham radio?

Perry K4PWO

So, there is a proposal out from ORI (Open Resource Institude) for rented bandwidth on Echostar 9 at 121 deg West.
All the FLdigi modes will be able to be repeated by it.
The uplink is via an aggregator on commercial frequencies.
The downlink is direct on 12 GHz, but you must homebrew your receiver.
This could be a SDR dongle and SDR# Windows software.
Join the GEO.IO Group to read more.
https://groups.io/g/GEO

BruceN

Sorta like using those digital radio hotspots that everyone is so excited over.
It ain't radio except from you to the hotspot...about 10 feet.

Bruce / K4TQL

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

You can probably still talk about colonoscopies so it's kinda ham radio...

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 5:42 PM k4pwo <k4pwo@...> wrote:

Downlink is also a “commercial frequency”… none ham all the way.  Why not just use a sat phone that is much easier to obtain if you are going to abandon ham radio?

Perry K4PWO

So, there is a proposal out from ORI (Open Resource Institude) for rented bandwidth on Echostar 9 at 121 deg West.
All the FLdigi modes will be able to be repeated by it.
The uplink is via an aggregator on commercial frequencies.
The downlink is direct on 12 GHz, but you must homebrew your receiver.
This could be a SDR dongle and SDR# Windows software.
Join the GEO.IO Group to read more.
https://groups.io/g/GEO

KC9SGV

The ideal is of course "ham radio all the way".
We will get there....
Once we have $5mil and years of R&D to get such a GEO sat up.
In the interim....
We have the above proposal.
At $2000/month/MHz on an end of life GEO TV Comsat.
We will learn lots about aggregators and GEO ops in general.
Excellent Emcomm use in the mean time.

KC9SGV

On Oct 3, 2019, at 8:02 AM, Ryan Tourge, N2YQT <ryan.tourge@...> wrote:

You can probably still talk about colonoscopies so it's kinda ham radio...

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 5:42 PM k4pwo <k4pwo@...> wrote:

Downlink is also a “commercial frequency”… none ham all the way.  Why not just use a sat phone that is much easier to obtain if you are going to abandon ham radio?

Perry K4PWO

So, there is a proposal out from ORI (Open Resource Institude) for rented bandwidth on Echostar 9 at 121 deg West.
All the FLdigi modes will be able to be repeated by it.
The uplink is via an aggregator on commercial frequencies.
The downlink is direct on 12 GHz, but you must homebrew your receiver.
This could be a SDR dongle and SDR# Windows software.
Join the GEO.IO Group to read more.
https://groups.io/g/GEO

Charles Hargrove

Who has $2,000 per month per Mhz of spectrum on a commercial satellite?

On 10/3/2019 10:02 AM, KC9SGV wrote:
The ideal is of course "ham radio all the way".
We will get there....
Once we have $5mil and years of R&D to get such a GEO sat up.
In the *interim....*
We have the above proposal.
At $2000/month/MHz on an end of life GEO TV Comsat.
We will learn lots about aggregators and GEO ops in general.
Excellent Emcomm use in the mean time.
See more at https://groups.io/g/GEO
KC9SGV
--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC-ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Nets 449.025/123.0 PL
ARnewsline Broadcast Mon. @ 8:00PM
NYC-ARECS Weekly Net Mon. @ 8:30PM
http://www.nyc-arecs.org

NY-NBEMS Net Saturdays @ 10AM & USeast-NBEMS Net Wednesdays @ 7PM
on 7.036 Mhz USB (alt 3.536)/1500 hz waterfall spot; MFSK-16 or 32

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls topped
by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

"Molann an obair an fear" - Irish Saying
(The work praises the man.)

"No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it
provides, it can never take the place of volunteers." - Ronald Reagan

Dennis Zabawa

"Excellent Emcomm use in the mean time."

This proposal brings nothing to the table for actual "Emcomm" operations.  IF you have the means to move content to the aggregator for transmission from the satellite, WHY do you need a satellite at all for "Emcomm"?

KC9SGV

With dismal HF conditions of late...
VHF/UHF might be the only reliable radio links in the affected area.
The aggregator gets dropped in onto a high point (parachute or helicopter.)
These VHF/UHF feeds now get uplinked to the GEO sat, then downlinked to the ops center, hundreds of miles away.
Go-teems with the necessary ex military skills will be needed for this.

These are the operating conditions of THIS proposal.
We really need our own ham band only GEO sat or two.
Then go-teems can uplink and downlink direct.

KC9SGV

On Oct 4, 2019, at 5:42 AM, Dennis Zabawa <kg4rul@...> wrote:

"Excellent Emcomm use in the mean time."

This proposal brings nothing to the table for actual "Emcomm" operations.  IF you have the means to move content to the aggregator for transmission from the satellite, WHY do you need a satellite at all for "Emcomm"?

KC9SGV

Or drive in...

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

On Oct 4, 2019, at 6:23 AM, KC9SGV <kc9sgv@...> wrote:

[...]

FEMA, other served agencies, ARRL, AMSAT-NA, any company who wants advertising exposure, etc.
Not the individual ham.

On Oct 3, 2019, at 9:44 AM, Charles Hargrove <n2nov@...> wrote:

[...]

Rent-A-GEO proposal from Michelle, W5NYV, at ORI.
$2000/month/MHz paid for served agencies, ARRL, AMSAT-NA, ......?
In the interim, while we wait for our own ham-band-only GEO sat(s).

image1.PNG

KC9SGV

On Oct 4, 2019, at 6:40 AM, KC9SGV via Groups.Io <kc9sgv@...> wrote:

[...]

The RAG receiver could also look like this...
Dish LNB to a further down converter into 70cms or 2M.

image1.PNG

image2.PNG

KC9SGV

On Oct 4, 2019, at 7:39 AM, KC9SGV via Groups.Io <kc9sgv@...> wrote:

[...]

Talk to AMSAT and propose a geo sat. It’s already in their long term goals.

Even better, join and support the effort.

Perry K4PWO

AMSAT #39281

VHF/UHF might be the only reliable radio links in the affected area.

The aggregator gets dropped in onto a high point (parachute or helicopter.)

These VHF/UHF feeds now get uplinked to the GEO sat, then downlinked to the ops center, hundreds of miles away.

Go-teems with the necessary ex military skills will be needed for this.

These are the operating conditions of THIS proposal.

We really need our own ham band only GEO sat or two.

Then go-teems can uplink and downlink direct.

KC9SGV

On Oct 4, 2019, at 5:42 AM, Dennis Zabawa <kg4rul@...> wrote:

"Excellent Emcomm use in the mean time."

This proposal brings nothing to the table for actual "Emcomm" operations.  IF you have the means to move content to the aggregator for transmission from the satellite, WHY do you need a satellite at all for "Emcomm"?

Wes

Edited

Man! Just too many TLAs for an OF like me.
Wes AE6ZM