Topics

flmsg 4.0.1-01 alpha posting

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>

The simple interface user would have to open the "Expert" dialog (on the Tools menu) to gain access to all of the built-in forms.

Dave

On 11/17/2016 07:12 AM, Bob Mueller bob@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

I just downloaded your Alpha, and I think that’s a HUGE improvement!! Great work!!!

one question: if I push the “Service Agency / Simple” button. It appears that I can only create new messages from custom forms. For example: ICS-213 is the one most used by my served agency. I don’t see a path to get them into the stock ICS-213 in FLmsg. Am I missing something?

--... ...--
Bob Mueller
K8MD
bob@... (mailto:bob@...)

Larry Levesque <ka1vgm@...>

I love it Dave with one minor irritation.

Flmsg now always opens in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>

Larry,

Both or just the simple UI?

Dave

--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>

FIXED

How important is it that the simple user interface have a menu access to the built-in forms?  Trying to walk the fine line between KISS and FEATURE-CREEP.

Dave

On 11/17/2016 11:33 AM, Larry Levesque ka1vgm@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

I love it Dave with one minor irritation.

Flmsg now always opens in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

wescom@...

Dave,
While the custom form selection for the tyro mode is great for many applications. In our neck of the woods with a fairly sparse ham population, quick ad-hoc digital setups are a high likelihood for emergency operation. As such, a simplified user interface is wonderful. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that custom templates would be installed on the PCs pressed into service. Most of the traffic we have passed it previous drills was either straight ICS-213 or the ARRL Radiogram. And those were usually done using voice - with outrageous error rates: for example: "foot in mouth" instead of the intended "Hoof and Mouth disease." The examiners were not amused  :-)

Anyway, that is just my thought on the subject.

Gary - N0GW

Steve <shansen@...>

Hi Gary,

As one of the instigators of this, the "simple/admin" mode was really developed for the use of non-ham agency personnel where there is more of a controlled environment over the templates and also where there is a need to be able to pass the messages via any available means, including ham radio. Thus, if an NGO has a standard set of forms that it uses and these are not general standards (like ICS-213 or radiogram), then they can create the necessary templates for their own use in conjunction with hams that might be pressed into service. The office worker or field personnel need not be concerned with the mode of transport. They just populate the appropriate form. Someone else can figure out whether it goes by fax, email or NBEMS.

For general use, the flmsg native ICS-213 and radiogram forms are the ones to use and are fully compliant with the designers of those forms. For voice, while flmsg's text view of those forms is designed for voice or cw, one big issue is the lack of proper voicing skills amongst many operators. That just gets compounded with the "anything goes" formatting of an  ICS-213 (mixed case, use of any keyboard character, etc.).

73, Steve KB1TCE

On 11/17/2016 02:05 PM, wescom@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

Dave,

While the custom form selection for the tyro mode is great for many applications. In our neck of the woods with a fairly sparse ham population, quick ad-hoc digital setups are a high likelihood for emergency operation. As such, a simplified user interface is wonderful. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that custom templates would be installed on the PCs pressed into service. Most of the traffic we have passed it previous drills was either straight ICS-213 or the ARRL Radiogram. And those were usually done using voice - with outrageous error rates: for example: "foot in mouth" instead of the intended "Hoof and Mouth disease." The examiners were not amused  :-)

Anyway, that is just my thought on the subject.

Gary - N0GW

Larry Levesque <ka1vgm@...>

Thanks for the quick fix.

I think it should NOT have access to the internal forms.
The simpler the better for served agencies.
Do you really want them to see two options to fill out the same form?

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:35:41PM -0600, w1hkj w1hkj@... [NBEMSham] wrote:
FIXED

How important is it that the simple user interface have a menu access to the built-in forms? Trying to walk the fine line between KISS and FEATURE-CREEP.

Dave

On 11/17/2016 11:33 AM, Larry Levesque ka1vgm@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

I love it Dave with one minor irritation.

Flmsg now always opens in the upper left hand corner of the screen.
--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

lilyrodrico@...

Hi Dave:  THANK YOU very much for the modification to FLMSG that allows the user to choose either the "expert" or "simple" interface as the default!  I'm getting involved in classes / workshops to teach NBEMS to hams involved in emergency communication groups and it's really nice to have that option to simplify things for the new (but "expert")  user.

One further suggestion for you:  I was literally in the middle of revising my configuration instructions for FLMSG this afternoon and noticed that there is no button or link for "HELP" on the simple version of the new user interface.  Is there a plan to add one?  Perhaps I've gotten really spoiled but I've grown to expect to see a way to get help with every user interface.

Feedback on FLMSG vers. 4.0:

>>  I like the fact that the user configuration screen opens automatically when you choose the "expert" UI.  It really ought to be done at the get go so that's convenient.

>>  I haven't used FLMSG for very long but this is one thing that bugged me with the 3.xxx version and it's partially addressed in version 4.xxx.  When you click on a button to view messages you may or may not see all messages stored on your device --- bear with me as I illustrate what I experience

USER DEFAULT CHOICE = SIMPLE

Simple Interface, FLMSG 4.01-01
choose "New Message":   nothing listed -- I don't have a custom list of forms established
choose "Edit Message":  folder opens->  User/NBEMS.files/ICS/messages
     >> the folder is empty because by default I'm shown only messages of the file type  "custom form(*.k2s)"
     If I change the default file type to All Files (*.*), then I see all messages stored.
choose "View Message":  folder opens -> User/NBEMS.files/ICS/messages
    >> This time the default is to show me file type  All Files (*.*) and I see all messages stored.

Expert Interface, FLMSG 4.01-01
choose FILE, then OPEN ~~ folder opens->  User/NBEMS.files/ICS/messages
     >>  the folder is empty because by default I'm shown only messages of the file type  "custom form(*.k2s)"
     If I change the default file type to All Files (*.*), then I see all messages stored.

USER DEFAULT CHOICE = EXPERT  (new install, opening application for the first time)

choose FILE, then OPEN ~ ~ folder opens->  User/NBEMS.files/ICS/messages
  >>  the folder is empty because by default I'm being shown only messages of the file type,
      "radiogram(*.m2s) and I have no radiogram messages

Why can't the default for  "Edit Message" in the Simple Interface and "OPEN" files in the Expert Interface be changed to show you ALL messages instead of only messages of a single template format?  That makes more sense to me.  What's more -- and maybe this is a Windows 'issue' but taking the last case as an example  I have a choice of seeing only two types of files:  either 'radiogram (*.m2s)' or 'All Files (*.*)'.  There's no way for me to choose just  " *.b2s" or  *.309* file types.  Can this be adjusted??

Thank you very much for reading all the way through this long message.  I hope my feedback is useful to  you.

73, Sarah N6OPE

---In NBEMSham@..., <w1hkj@...> wrote :

I received several very constructive emails regarding the 4.0.0 user interface.  Hopefully this alpha version will address many of their concerns.  I also received a few "your baby is ugly" emails, which of course do nothing to assist me in making flmsg a more user friendly application.  Programmers are like artists, their feelings are easily bruised.  :'(

The first time you run flmsg-4.0.1-01 you will be presented with this small dialog:

Most of you will probably want to select the "Communicator / Expert" user interface as it is the one you are already familiar with.

If you select the "Service Agency / Simple" user interface then the default start up dialog will be:

This interface has easy access to the expert mode interface.  It is available on the "Tools" menu pull down.

Press the "New Message" button on the simple user interface and this additional dialog will open:

Highlight the desired message template and then press Select.  Depending on the OS it may take a few seconds before the web browser opens with the template exposed.

The default user interface selection is stored in the NBEMS.files/FLMSG.prefs file.  You can revert to the opening selection dialog by deleting

the UI_default:1 line (or setting the value to zero), either works.

Please work with me if flmsg is important to your EMCOMM ops.  The objective is to make it as user friendly as possible independent of your message handling expertise.

Thank you.

73, David, W1HKJ

rfdugger@...

My deepest appreciation for the time, effort, dedication to the fl suite. We can't do much about others behavior other than to counter balance it with praise and gratitude. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Steve <shansen@...>

Dave does have a way to express your thanks - see the upper right of his home page ("Support fldigi").

73, Steve KB1TCE

On 11/28/2016 10:28 PM, rfdugger@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

My deepest appreciation for the time, effort, dedication to the fl suite. We can't do much about others behavior other than to counter balance it with praise and gratitude. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

la7um@...

David, how do I for editing open NBEMS.files/FLMSG.prefs file ? Checking on a Mac for now.
73 de Finn LA7UM

---In NBEMSham@..., <w1hkj@...> wrote :

[...]

on OS X the file you ask about is in the hidden directory, $HOME/.nbems

suggest you create a link to the directory thusly:

$ cd
$ ln -s .nbems nbems.files

if you have not already done so you might want to do the same for the fldigi and flrig hidden data files directories:

$ ln -s .fldigi fldigi.files

$ ln -l .flrig flrig.files

The symbolic links will be visible and accessible from a command line

$ ls

and also from within the "Finder"

Edit the prefs file with caution.  There are no items in the prefs file that you cannot control from within the program.

David

---In NBEMSham@..., wrote :

[...]

Bob Mueller <bob@...>

it’s most simple to just open FLmsg and choose “Folders” from the File menu.

--... ...--
Bob Mueller
K8MD

la7um@...

Thanks David.
Hm....I get some "freeze" thinking of getting into the system being a non programmer. Perhaps good enough or safer doing the manual File select by normal opening.
Finn LA7UM

---In NBEMSham@..., <w1hkj@...> wrote :

[...]

Randy

Greetings,
Our group has begun working with a medical group of hospitals for emergency comm.  The hospital has offered an admin support function to create or fill in the messages to prevent privacy breaches.  This seems to us to be a perfect use of the simple interface but with the HICS forms restricted to the expert setting we can not make this useful.  I don't see any difference if they can create a custom Red Cross form or a built in HICS form.  We don't want them to access autosend for instance and transmit at will. Giving them a seperate setup not interfaced to fldigi appears to be the option and then cut paste the messages into the functioning NBEMS folder.

Is this our best option?

Randy

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

There isn't a privacy breach if your operator is acting as an agent supporting their mission. If your operator were to archive the information for their own use or disseminate it in a way not agreed upon in advance then there would be some concern there. Incident contact with sensitive information is allowed.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM, <rpratt@...> wrote:
Greetings,
Our group has begun working with a medical group of hospitals for emergency comm.  The hospital has offered an admin support function to create or fill in the messages to prevent privacy breaches.  This seems to us to be a perfect use of the simple interface but with the HICS forms restricted to the expert setting we can not make this useful.  I don't see any difference if they can create a custom Red Cross form or a built in HICS form.  We don't want them to access autosend for instance and transmit at will. Giving them a seperate setup not interfaced to fldigi appears to be the option and then cut paste the messages into the functioning NBEMS folder.

Is this our best option?

Randy

Jack Dellinger

We have something similar.. Our EOC staff has access to FLMSG on their computer. They create the message and save to a thumb drive (at this point) and the thumb drive is given to Ham station for transmitting.  Works fine.   Our EOC uses WebEOC software and may soon change to just putting message on WebEOC and we will pick up from there.
Jack KC3JD

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Ryan Tourge, N2YQT <ryan.tourge@...> wrote:
[...]

I highly suggest you have this form created in custom html format.
This would make it usable in the simple gui.
This is a pretty easy process if you don't mind using the same exact form that flmsg currently uses for output.
If you have a specific other form please let me know.

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 07:55:27AM -0800, rpratt@... wrote:
[...]

Robert Hanson

It is important that the hospital understand that any message sent is not encrypted, and is sent over the air in a format readable by anyone monitoring.  It is not uncommon for them to assume the system is secure.
W6RH

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

I second Robert's comment. This question was specifically asked of our group during an NBEMS exercise involving a hospital drill.