Topics

fldigi version 4.1.13.01 posted

Dave

at http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/fldigi

The best way to discover lurking gremlins, bugs, from the dark ages (pre 2019) is to post a new version :'(.

Fri May 29 09:54:18 2020 - alpha 4.1.13.01

  Store/Recall
    * Change Store/Recall menu items to mode_info[].name vice mode_info[].sname
      - sname strings for Contestia and Olivia contained '/'
        causing an item selection failure.
        . fltk widget interprets the '/' as a submenu item causing a segmentation fault.
      - bug has been lurking for many versions

  Rx Monitor
    * Add test for existence of filter in monitor playback
      - prevents segmentation fault with start up conditions:
        . Rx Monitor enabled
        . Rx Filter enabled
        . Audio alerts disabled

73, David, W1HKJ

Jack Spitznagel (KD4IZ)

Hi Dave,

Possible bug was introduced:

Running this version of fldigi on Win 10 Pro.

During a WEFAX session this afternoon I discovered that the File > Folders > WEFAX images menu item in this version is broken. Attempt to use that item to navigate to the folder throws an error. The program also is apparently unable to autosave the images. OTOH, if I go to View > Weather Fax Image TX, the pop-up panel finds the correct directory. If I try to force save an image, fldigi wants to save it in the macros directory with a weird name:

(wefax_20200529_165001_6338600_gui.png)

I also noticed that the first error message was trying to find a non-existent directory URL:

I changed the URL to what it “should be” in fldigi_def.xml and get the error with that as well:

Happy to send the fldigi_def.xml file if you need it.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

The best way to discover lurking gremlins, bugs, from the dark ages (pre 2019) is to post a new version :'(.

Fri May 29 09:54:18 2020 - alpha 4.1.13.01

  Store/Recall
    * Change Store/Recall menu items to mode_info[].name vice mode_info[].sname
      - sname strings for Contestia and Olivia contained '/'
        causing an item selection failure.
        . fltk widget interprets the '/' as a submenu item causing a segmentation fault.
      - bug has been lurking for many versions

  Rx Monitor
    * Add test for existence of filter in monitor playback
      - prevents segmentation fault with start up conditions:
        . Rx Monitor enabled
        . Rx Filter enabled
        . Audio alerts disabled

73, David, W1HKJ

Jack Spitznagel (KD4IZ)

Dave,

A quick follow up: I saved one image to the ~\macros subdirectory as shown in the previous email and they were all being saved to C:\Users\jspit\fldigi.7300\macros. I went back and forced an image to be saved in the correct subdir: C:\Users\jspit\fldigi.7300\images, and they are once again being saved properly. The File > Folders > WEFAX Images menu item now opens the correct folder too – no more errors.  Am baffled.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Trustee for NR3DT

The Museum Ship USCGC Taney WHEC-37 Amateur Radio Group

The best way to discover lurking gremlins, bugs, from the dark ages (pre 2019) is to post a new version :'(.

Fri May 29 09:54:18 2020 - alpha 4.1.13.01

  Store/Recall
    * Change Store/Recall menu items to mode_info[].name vice mode_info[].sname
      - sname strings for Contestia and Olivia contained '/'
        causing an item selection failure.
        . fltk widget interprets the '/' as a submenu item causing a segmentation fault.
      - bug has been lurking for many versions

  Rx Monitor
    * Add test for existence of filter in monitor playback
      - prevents segmentation fault with start up conditions:
        . Rx Monitor enabled
        . Rx Filter enabled
        . Audio alerts disabled

73, David, W1HKJ

Dave

Look at c:\Users\<login>\fldigi.files

is there an images sub folder ?  If not then you might have a privileges issue.  Did you ever run fldigi from the Admin account?

I've tested on LInux, macOS, OS-X, Win7 & Win10, but I could repeat the tests.

Dave

On 5/29/20 4:01 PM, Jack Spitznagel (KD4IZ) wrote:

[...]

I hope you saw my follow up email which explains more findings and how it cleared. Sort of solved but… I don’t even have an ~\fldigi.files subdir.

I have two configurations, one for the IC-7300 and one for the IC-9700, so they each have a separate subdirectory trees in my \User\<login>\ subdir: one is ~\fldigi.7300\ and the other is ~\fldigi.9700\. Both have the ~\images subdirectory in them.

Best,

Jack

The best way to discover lurking gremlins, bugs, from the dark ages (pre 2019) is to post a new version :'(.

Fri May 29 09:54:18 2020 - alpha 4.1.13.01

  Store/Recall
    * Change Store/Recall menu items to mode_info[].name vice mode_info[].sname
      - sname strings for Contestia and Olivia contained '/'
        causing an item selection failure.
        . fltk widget interprets the '/' as a submenu item causing a segmentation fault.
      - bug has been lurking for many versions

  Rx Monitor
    * Add test for existence of filter in monitor playback
      - prevents segmentation fault with start up conditions:
        . Rx Monitor enabled
        . Rx Filter enabled
        . Audio alerts disabled

73, David, W1HKJ

Dave

If you change the wefax image store location and then "config/save" the program will use the saved location for the next execution cycle.  Also true if you have fldigi to automatically save the configuration on every exit.  This is my defaults on Linux:

<!-- type: std::string; default: &quot;&quot;
Target directory for storing automatically received images storage -->
<WEFAXSAVEDIR>/home/dave/.fldigi/images</WEFAXSAVEDIR>

<!-- type: std::string; default: &quot;&quot;
Source directory for sending images -->
<WEFAXLOADDIR>/home/dave/</WEFAXLOADDIR>

Dave

Jack Spitznagel (KD4IZ)

Thanks Dave,

That explains what I saw when I fooled around with the system after installing the latest alpha, but doesn’t explain how the settings got knocked back to the default C:\Users|\<login>\fldigi.files\images\ which does not exist. The previous update did not do that. I ran the current update install exactly as I had the previous one.

At this point it does not really matter because it is working correctly again.

BTW, The same lines in my config read:

<!-- type: std::string; default: &quot;&quot;

Target directory for storing automatically received images storage -->

<WEFAXSAVEDIR>C:\Users\jspit\fldigi.ic7300\images/</WEFAXSAVEDIR>

<!-- type: std::string; default: &quot;&quot;

Source directory for sending images -->

<WEFAXLOADDIR></WEFAXLOADDIR>

Interesting to see that there is nothing in the second line:

<WEFAXLOADDIR></WEFAXLOADDIR>

Yet it works and takes me to the right directory to load an image.

Maybe a divine hiccup?

73,

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Trustee for NR3DT

The Museum Ship USCGC Taney WHEC-37 Amateur Radio Group

If you change the wefax image store location and then "config/save" the program will use the saved location for the next execution cycle.  Also true if you have fldigi to automatically save the configuration on every exit.  This is my defaults on Linux:

<!-- type: std::string; default: &quot;&quot;
Target directory for storing automatically received images storage -->
<WEFAXSAVEDIR>/home/dave/.fldigi/images</WEFAXSAVEDIR>

<!-- type: std::string; default: &quot;&quot;
Source directory for sending images -->
<WEFAXLOADDIR>/home/dave/</WEFAXLOADDIR>

When fldigi starts it performs a check on the support directores/files

static void checkdirectories(void)
{
        struct DIRS {
                string& dir;
                const char* suffix;
                void (*new_dir_func)(void);
        };
        DIRS fldigi_dirs[] = {
                { HomeDir, 0, 0 },
                { RigsDir, "rigs", 0 },
                { ScriptsDir, "scripts", 0 },
                { PalettesDir, "palettes", create_new_palettes },
                { LogsDir, "logs", 0 },
                { PicsDir, "images", 0 },
                { AvatarDir, "avatars", 0},
                { HelpDir, "help", 0 },
                { MacrosDir, "macros", create_new_macros },
                { AnalysisDir, "analysis", 0 },
                { WrapDir, "wrap", 0 },
                { TalkDir, "talk", 0 },
                { TempDir, "temp", 0 },
                { LoTWDir, "LOTW", 0 },
                { KmlDir, "kml", 0 },
                { DATA_dir, "data", 0 },
                { DebugDir, "debug", 0 }
        };

The PicsDir on a Windows-10 system defaults to c:\Users\<login>\fldigi.files\images\.  It should be created if it does not exist during the startup directory check.  The pathname will be altered by the command line parameter --config-dir, which you are using to create a separate 7300 state/configuration.

The fldigi_def.xml file entries, <WEFAXLOADDIR> and <WEFAXSAVEDIR> record the last directory that you either retrieved an image for transmission or saved upon receipt.  If those entries are void then the PicsDir is used.

BTW the PicsDir is also used to store MFSK, FSQ, IFKP and THOR images.

David

Jack Spitznagel (KD4IZ)

Dave,

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense. So I have to conclude I had a one-time “force majeure” event and for some reason, even though my IC-7300 is started with “--config-dir C:\Users\jspit\fldigi.ic7300”, the check did not find it and record that directory (even though it existed) and was called by the command line parameter. It is working now…

I need to set up a picture transfer with a local V/UHF station to test the IC-9700. Thanks for the dedication and hard work!